Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I believe it, but anyway here is the article

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1206&MainCatID=12&id=20131017000146

Richard Li acquires American automaker

• Staff Reporter
  • 2013-10-17
  • 17:05 (GMT+8)

Visitors check out the latest Fisker Karma model at the Detroit Auto Show, Jan. 12. (Photo/CFP)

Richard Li, the second son of Hong Kong business magnate Li Ka-shing, recently acquired US-based Fisker Automotive, with the aim of integrating the automobile business with information technology, reports Guangzhou's 21st Century Business Herald.
Li was the only non-automaker bidder interested in the US company, but his background in the telecommunications business and his ability to develop the sector by manufacturing smart vehicles helped him beat out competitors. The younger Li is of the view that an integration of software and hardware will become a future trend in the IT sector and in the mobile services arena in particular.
Fisker Automotive was founded in 2007 and its hybrid electric model was an immediate hit. However, the company failed to generate significant profits. It was forced to suspend production last year, announcing in May that it was incapable of paying off its debts. Prior to encountering a debt crisis in spring last year, its market value was estimated at US$2.2 billion.
The firm's bankruptcy resulted in chaotic internal management, which led to the resignation of the company's co-founder Henrik Fisker in March. But this did not deter Chinese investors from buying the company, with five China-based automakers bidding for the company over the past year. These were namely Wanxiang Group's VL Auto, WM GrandTheft Automotive, Geely, Dongfeng Motor and the BAIC Group.
The first two companies maintained an interest until the final round of bidding, along with Richard Li's Hong Kong-based Pacific Century Group. An insider that Li held an edge in the bidding because his price was much higher than his rivals. Most of the bidders offered a buying price of US$200 billion, whereas Li was willingly to pay up to US$300 billion to acquire the automaker. In addition, Henrik Fisker, personally contacted Li and said he hoped to continue running Fisker Automative, lending his hand in the bidding war.
Over the past year, Li's personal acquisitions have mainly focused on mobile internet and insurance businesses, with the businessman purchasing Dutch ING Group's Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand businesses last year. After the Fisker acquisition, Li is following his father's footsteps into the European and American markets.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I don't know if I believe it, but anyway here is the article

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1206&MainCatID=12&id=20131017000146

Richard Li acquires American automaker

• Staff Reporter
  • 2013-10-17
  • 17:05 (GMT+8)

Visitors check out the latest Fisker Karma model at the Detroit Auto Show, Jan. 12. (Photo/CFP)

Richard Li, the second son of Hong Kong business magnate Li Ka-shing, recently acquired US-based Fisker Automotive, with the aim of integrating the automobile business with information technology, reports Guangzhou's 21st Century Business Herald.
Li was the only non-automaker bidder interested in the US company, but his background in the telecommunications business and his ability to develop the sector by manufacturing smart vehicles helped him beat out competitors. The younger Li is of the view that an integration of software and hardware will become a future trend in the IT sector and in the mobile services arena in particular.
Fisker Automotive was founded in 2007 and its hybrid electric model was an immediate hit. However, the company failed to generate significant profits. It was forced to suspend production last year, announcing in May that it was incapable of paying off its debts. Prior to encountering a debt crisis in spring last year, its market value was estimated at US$2.2 billion.
The firm's bankruptcy resulted in chaotic internal management, which led to the resignation of the company's co-founder Henrik Fisker in March. But this did not deter Chinese investors from buying the company, with five China-based automakers bidding for the company over the past year. These were namely Wanxiang Group's VL Auto, WM GrandTheft Automotive, Geely, Dongfeng Motor and the BAIC Group.
The first two companies maintained an interest until the final round of bidding, along with Richard Li's Hong Kong-based Pacific Century Group. An insider that Li held an edge in the bidding because his price was much higher than his rivals. Most of the bidders offered a buying price of US$200 billion, whereas Li was willingly to pay up to US$300 billion to acquire the automaker. In addition, Henrik Fisker, personally contacted Li and said he hoped to continue running Fisker Automative, lending his hand in the bidding war.
Over the past year, Li's personal acquisitions have mainly focused on mobile internet and insurance businesses, with the businessman purchasing Dutch ING Group's Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand businesses last year. After the Fisker acquisition, Li is following his father's footsteps into the European and American markets.
I though so too, but the I saw this, which disputes a winner was selected

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...t-evaluating-bids-168M-Fisker-Automotive-loan

·
Registered
542 Posts
Reuters is the most credible and authoritative when it comes to FA, and the story is in the US edition now:

(Reuters) - An investor group led by Hong Kong tycoon Richard Li is the likely winner of a government loan owed by Fisker Automotive, the now-dormant maker of plug-in hybrid sports cars, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

The U.S. Department of Energy picked Li's group after an auction held Friday to sell the green-energy loan. The DOE and Li are now nailing down the final details of the sale, which has not yet closed, the people said.

Buying the loan would allow Li, the youngest son of Asia's richest man and an early Fisker investor, to restructure Fisker unencumbered by the obligations of the DOE funds and potentially avoid a bankruptcy filing that would wipe out equity investors.

Sources familiar with the company have said however that reviving Fisker outside of a bankruptcy would be an expensive and difficult process.

The people declined to be named because the details were private. The DOE said Thursday that the winner would be publicly announced once final negotiations were completed and the sale was closed. Fisker owes the DOE $168 million.

Li beat out at least two other groups vying to buy the loan in Friday's auction. They were German investment group Fritz Nols AG as well as a team that included Chinese auto parts supplier Wanxiang and former General Motors Co (GM.N) executive Bob Lutz.

Fisker does not have enough money to pay its outstanding bills and has not built a car in about 15 months. Fisker laid off most of its employees in April to save cash.

The DOE said last month that it planned the auction after "exhausting any realistic possibility" that it could recoup the entire amount still owed by Fisker.

The exact value of Li's bid was not immediately clear, but bidders had to offer at least $30 million to participate in the Fisker loan auction, sources have said.

The DOE also required that all bids include a plan to promote U.S. manufacturing and engineering of "green" cars.

In 2009, Fisker won a $529 million DOE loan under a U.S. program to promote green vehicles. Fisker also got the backing of prominent investors like venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and later won rave reviews for the design of its flagship car, the $100,000-plus Karma plug-in hybrid.

But in mid-2011, the DOE halted payments after Fisker drew down $192 million, citing delays in launching the Karma. The Karma's shaky launch and the disclosure in early 2012 that DOE had frozen access to funding hurt the Fisker's value.

Many Fisker executives left the company this year, including co-founder and well-regarded car designer Henrik Fisker, who resigned in March.

Henrik Fisker had been working with Li's group this spring, although the two sides parted ways this summer, sources said Thursday. They remain on good terms.

Henrik Fisker declined to comment and Pacific Century Group, the private investment group chaired by Richard Li, could not be immediately reached for comment by e-mail.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm sure he's probably aware of it..but it might not be a bad thing for Mr. Li to be made aware of the passion and loyalty existing owners have for the brand he just purchased. Maybe we send a congrats letter (signed by as many owners as possible) with a message of how we're all excited and hopeful for what he has planned for current and future owners?

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I'm sure he's probably aware of it..but it might not be a bad thing for Mr. Li to be made aware of the passion and loyalty existing owners have for the brand he just purchased. Maybe we send a congrats letter (signed by as many owners as possible) with a message of how we're all excited and hopeful for what he has planned for current and future owners?
Excellent idea , who has the address?

·
Registered
542 Posts
As you can see from the translated Chinese news story above, you'd have to be pretty careful - a congrats might come across as an insult or something. :)

Anyway, Until there is official confirmation, I wouldn't make any assumptions. At least the wait should be shorter.

They should have made an announcement the day of the debt deal or whatever, because this is now out in the open at a lull in the news cycle where the attack machine will be going full tilt (lumping fisker in with bad implementation of Obamacare, government waste, etc).

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
As you can see from the translated Chinese news story above, you'd have to be pretty careful - a congrats might come across as an insult or something. :)

Anyway, Until there is official confirmation, I wouldn't make any assumptions. At least the wait should be shorter.

They should have made an announcement the day of the debt deal or whatever, because this is now out in the open at a lull in the news cycle where the attack machine will be going full tilt (lumping fisker in with bad implementation of Obamacare, government waste, etc).
actually at this point the news for Fisker can only get better and in time for Telsa earning release -- could excite Richard to move quickly and take "good" Karma from Telsa Stock and put the Fisker brand name in a new light-

down with the Putz, up with the Li ;-)

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
This.

We have a habit here at FiskerBuzz of stating speculation as fact. Those of us who have been around the 'buzz for a while have seen headlines definitively stating that Fisker was bought by Geely, bought by Dongfeng, declaring bankruptcy, and that there was a white night miracle announcement just days away. None of these things turned out to be true, but someone casually perusing the forums (the press, for example) would be greatly misled. The title of this thread, "Richard Li acquires Fisker" just perpetuates this trend. (Not to mention that Fisker Automotive wasn't being auctioned; a LOAN to Fisker Automotive is being auctioned. The winner of the loan doesn't automatically own the company)

Let's wait until the dust settles and see what's really happening. As an owner and a fan I certainly hope the latest rumors are true, and I'm glad to see there's some apparent action after months of dormancy, but I'll believe it when I see it for an official, authoritative source.

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
This.

We have a habit here at FiskerBuzz of stating speculation as fact. Those of us who have been around the 'buzz for a while have seen headlines definitively stating that Fisker was bought by Geely, bought by Dongfeng, declaring bankruptcy, and that there was a white night miracle announcement just days away. None of these things turned out to be true, but someone casually perusing the forums (the press, for example) would be greatly misled. The title of this thread, "Richard Li acquires Fisker" just perpetuates this trend. (Not to mention that Fisker Automotive wasn't being auctioned; a LOAN to Fisker Automotive is being auctioned. The winner of the loan doesn't automatically own the company)

Let's wait until the dust settles and see what's really happening. As an owner and a fan I certainly hope the latest rumors are true, and I'm glad to see there's some apparent action after months of dormancy, but I'll believe it when I see it for an official, authoritative source.

Brent
Thanks Brent, I am usually the one saying this but did not want to be a kill joy. Either way, we will find out soon enough.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
A better structured and more intelegent article on the subject matter - should make Fabulist and LonePalmBJ happy ;-) BTW, why such serious tone - after being the butt of jokes for so long, let us FA Buzzers have a little fantacy and fun ....

http://goldsea.com/Text/index.php?id=14768

Richard Li Hopes to Become New-Age Car Tycoon with Fisker Buy

The second son of Asia’s richest man hopes to create a new kind of car company by introducing sophisticated telecom technology to the US carmaker he is thought to have won by committing around $300 million to reviving it, according to Yahoo Finance and 21st Century Business

What is actually being purchased by Richard Li in a series of negotiations that began last Friday isn’t Fisker Automotive itself but a note evidencing Fisker’s $168-million debt to the US Energy Department. Anaheim-based Fisker, which hasn’t made a car in 15 months, also owes about $80 million to various suppliers. The DOE note is senior to other debt, giving its bearer a controlling interest in the company and the ability to shield it against being forced into bankruptcy by other creditors.

Li is the only non-car guy among the many bidders to the Energy Department note auction. Other bidders include co-founder and acclaimed car designer Henrik Fisker who had earlier allied with Li in an effort to regain control of the company he left last spring and Bob Lutz, GM’s former head of product development. Also bidding for the note were five Chinese car companies: Geely, Dongfeng Motor, BAIC Group, Wanxiang Group’s VL Auto and WM GrandTheft Automotive.

The minimum bid to participate in the auction had been set at $30 million. The DOE also required all bids to include a plan to promote manufacturing and engineering of green cars in the US. So in addition to the $30-million-plus for the note, Li is thought to have pledged a hefty infusion of capital, much of it from the assets of father Li Kashing who turned a small Hong Kong shipping firm into Asia’s biggest fortune.

The cost of reviving production of the $100,000 Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid is estimated at a minimum of $50 million while the cost of tooling up to begin production of the smaller $55,000 Atlantic sedan would likely top $500 million. Several hundred copies of the Karma had been produced and widely admired before Fisker hit a financial wall last May after having burnt through the $1.2-billion pumped in by investors and $168 million of the $529-million loan committed by DOE. Until its financial meltdown was precipitated by a series of unfortunate events, including a fire that destroyed over 100 cars, the firm had an implied valuation of $2.2 billion based on its final investment round.

Richard Li came into the bidding armed not only with his dad’s backing but also his own vision of a new kind of car company — one focused as much on providing cutting-edge software and computing capabilities as on styling and mechanics. Li knows something about computing technology, having built an internet and mobile telecom empire that has spread throughout Southeast Asia. He has also become a power in the insurance business, especially after buying out the ING Group’s Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand subsidiaries last year.

If Li does conclude a successful bid for control of Fisker, he may set himself on the road to becoming the second wealthiest man to control a car company in the US after Elon Musk whose Paypal, Tesla and SpaceX fortunes give him a net worth of about $4.3 billion. Li is currently estimated to be worth about $1.5 billion.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
A better structured and more intelegent article on the subject matter - should make Fabulist and LonePalmBJ happy ;-) BTW, why such serious tone - after being the butt of jokes for so long, let us FA Buzzers have a little fantacy and fun ....
I have no desire to pi$$ on anyone's parade, just being realistic. I have lost count of how many threads and posts about Fisker going bankrupt, being bought, being resurrected, etc. that turned out to be wrong that I am not going to get emotionally invested in any outcome until it is absolutely certain. But hey, if you want to have hope, have hope. No one is stopping you. Just remember:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I will never give up hope for a brighter future. It always comes in one way or another. After what we've been through, any development is better than the last 9 months.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I think Brent's post was the most level minded.. :)

The thought is asinine for anyone to think there is going to be support for current owners.
lets review the past:

"In September, the DoE sold off another company’s non-performing loan from ATVM, originally $50 million, for only $3 million, losing about $42 million. AM General bought that loan given to the Vehicle Product Group in suburban Detroit and acquired the rights to produce VPG’s MV-1 environmentally sensitive wheelchair accessible vehicle."

If you look at this transaction AM General acquired the rights to produce the MV-1 without any obligation of previous debt.

Being Fisker owners, we are considered a previous debt. Our warranties are considered a previous debt.

We should not be speculative until we hear details about the transaction.. If you read the details...
" What is actually being purchased by Richard Li in a series of negotiations that began last Friday isn’t Fisker Automotive itself but a note evidencing Fisker’s $168-million debt to the US Energy Department. Anaheim-based Fisker, which hasn’t made a car in 15 months, also owes about $80 million to various suppliers. The DOE note is senior to other debt, giving its bearer a controlling interest in the company and the ability to shield it against being forced into bankruptcy by other creditors."

So if you look at real estate.. the 1st position note is king.. all other positions get wiped clean when the 1st position is sold.. Reiterating what was said.. The DOE note is senior to ALL other debt, giving its bearer a controlling interest in the company and the ability to shield it against ALL other creditors!

The other problem is that we all own a car that has a drive train built and designed by Quantum Technologies, a company that owned 50% of fisker until they lost their interest and any outstanding money owned, to the DOE fire sale. So is Quantum Technologies going to continue to license their technology to Fisker? Does anyone know if Fisker owns the rights to use Quantum Technologies Q-Drive technology. According to the video on Quantum's website http://www.qtww.com/automotive-fisker quote: "with fiskers design and our (Quantum's) powertrain" after all Fisker Automotive was co-founded by Quantum and Fisker Coachbuild

The only hope is that Richard Li likes the car and can see a potential in the profit from previous owners. If he actually continues to produce the karma then we will have some support, obviously at a cost. There is one thing that the new Fisker Automotive could do to generate extra revenue and support past owners of the Fisker Karma. Richard Li could setup a "Re-Certified Warranty" program to sell an extended warranty to current owners. Obviously the cars would be completely inspected and certified as functioning 100% before being sold the extended warranty. This is nothing new as Mercedes does the exact same thing. You pay for all maintenance to bring the car current plus a $2000-4000 warranty certification and they extend your warranty for 12, 24, 36 months. Now this is something we would all dream about.

mine has 12k miles and still running great... :) I am only putting about 100 miles a month on it now as I do not want it to turn in to a Boat. you know.. BOAT.. "Break Out Another Thousand". haha

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had some first hand information that there are approx 100 new Fiskers in stock in Europe. For some reason sales of these were blocked and are still blocked.
Hopefully they can soon be released for selling.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts