Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Return to Service Center when driving on gas

5457 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Tigga
Dear Fisker community,
my Karma has had a problem for the last few months that has been increasing in frequency: when driving on fuel, after the HV battery is discharged by driving beyond the 50 miles range, I sometimes --recently very often-- get a red error telling me to stop driving and return to service center. Sometimes, but not always, this is accompanied by an error in the infotainment center saying "Limp fault". The error is almost always fixed by disconnecting the 12V battery momentarily from inside the hood, and often fixed by turning the car off and waiting for several minutes. When we read the internal error codes once, we saw:
UO293: Lost Communication with Hybrid Powertrain Control Module
POD13: Battery Charging System Negative Contactor Control Circuit Low
P1E23: Undocumented Code
POA95: High Voltage Fuse

When the error happens, the HV battery stops charging so I need to stop the car or run out of power, until I reset the 12V battery.

Initially this happened only on long trips every 100 miles or so, but now it happens every few miles.

Note that when I read the error codes above, I had driven the car to the point of almost running out of fuel a little before that too due to a fuel gauge malfunction that happened after Rusnak of Pasadena left the ground connection disconnected after performing the airbag service.

Any ideas? Many thanks!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
All those misfire codes usually indicate that the coupler is shot. It's a two day job that will cost a few thousand dollars.
There's a time lapse video of the repair being completed by Harleyguy, but I can't seem to find it. It shows the how much work has to be done to complete the repair; was it deleted?
P1E23 is a contactor error code.
The time lapse is of us doing it here in Cherry Hill on my Facebook page. Yes that looks like a coupler. Doing one this week.
What causes "wear" of the couplers? Any indication that one "is on the way out"?
Thanks folks! Changing the coupler.
The time lapse is of us doing it here in Cherry Hill on my Facebook page. Yes that looks like a coupler. Doing one this week.
That would be great to see - what's your FB handle?
That would be great to see - what's your FB handle?
Ferrante Enterprises, Fisker of Cherry Hill
When the coupler is wearing out they start to rattle when the engine kicks in or the engine is idling you can hear it rattle . Broken couplers is another popular failure
Where would that rattle come from?
You can hear from under the car around the center muffler area and if the coupler is really bad you can hear it from inside the car. Also when the engine first starts up for a few seconds after it starts they rattle.
Thank you - now could you do it again in HD (just kidding :))

Great to see only white Karmas in your shop.
You can hear from under the car around the center muffler area and if the coupler is really bad you can hear it from inside the car. Also when the engine first starts up for a few seconds after it starts they rattle.
how do we differentiate between a rattle from the coupler and a rattle that we think is the muffler?

my muffler has a rattle at a certain rpm, but since the ice rpm can vary without input from me, how do i know which is which?
how do we differentiate between a rattle from the coupler and a rattle that we think is the muffler?

my muffler has a rattle at a certain rpm, but since the ice rpm can vary without input from me, how do i know which is which?
In my experience coupler only rattles when engine turns off and on.

The exhaust rattle happens at certain RPM's
If the center muffler is rattling you can duplicate by hitting the center of the muffler with a large rubber hammer . Do that while the car is off if it’s falling apart you can hear it.
If it’s a new style muffler they are known for baffles coming loose take a large ball peen hammer and hit the bottom of the muffler actually cave it in some the rattle will stop
If the center muffler is rattling you can duplicate by hitting the center of the muffler with a large rubber hammer . Do that while the car is off if it’s falling apart you can hear it.
If it’s a new style muffler they are known for baffles coming loose take a large ball peen hammer and hit the bottom of the muffler actually cave it in some the rattle will stop
My Bosal muffler, after repair, looks like it ran over a bunch of rocks. It's understated to say the repair was a bit aggressive.

KA can now provide a template that eliminates unnecessary dings and dents.
Dear Fisker community,
my Karma has had a problem for the last few months that has been increasing in frequency: when driving on fuel, after the HV battery is discharged by driving beyond the 50 miles range, I sometimes --recently very often-- get a red error telling me to stop driving and return to service center. Sometimes, but not always, this is accompanied by an error in the infotainment center saying "Limp fault". The error is almost always fixed by disconnecting the 12V battery momentarily from inside the hood, and often fixed by turning the car off and waiting for several minutes. When we read the internal error codes once, we saw:
P1E23: Undocumented Code
POA95: High Voltage Fuse

When the error happens, the HV battery stops charging so I need to stop the car or run out of power, until I reset the 12V battery.

Initially this happened only on long trips every 100 miles or so, but now it happens every few miles.

Note that when I read the error codes above, I had driven the car to the point of almost running out of fuel a little before that too due to a fuel gauge malfunction that happened after Rusnak of Pasadena left the ground connection disconnected after performing the airbag service.

Any ideas? Many thanks!
Russnak Pasadena did the same thing to my Karma! They were awful.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts