Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Posted this in the Charged EV thread too:

http://chargedevs.com/newswire/nissan-announces-price-for-replacement-leaf-battery/

This price is VERY cheap compared to the replacement costs for the A123 batteries on the Karma?
Nissan has sold well in excess of 100,000 LEAFs worldwide which creates a huge replacement battery market and allows the company to sell the batteries much cheaper. By contrast, A123 is probably still trying to pay off the R&D cost of the Fisker battery, so the prices would naturally be a lot higher and the miniscule potential worldwide market of less than 2000 cars does not help.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fabulist - great point on the production volumes. I was being a little facetious...but separately, didn't Wanxiang buy A123 out of bankruptcy? If so, are they still carrying the original R&D investments for the Karma batteries on their books?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Fabulist - great point on the production volumes. I was being a little facetious...but separately, didn't Wanxiang buy A123 out of bankruptcy? If so, are they still carrying the original R&D investments for the Karma batteries on their books?
That's a very good point and I did not consider that. I guess the volume would be the more significant factor since the R&D costs got mostly wiped out in the BK process.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If/when(?) I have a problem with my Karma HV batteries, I will gladly pay $5K to replace all of my HV batteries with new, better HV batteries from A123. So A123 can consider that a +1. :thumbup: Unless of course the new Fisker comes back with a warranty on our Karmas.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
If/when(?) I have a problem with my Karma HV batteries, I will gladly pay $5K to replace all of my HV batteries with new, better HV batteries from A123. So A123 can consider that a +1. :thumbup: Unless of course the new Fisker comes back with a warranty on our Karmas.
That may be possible if A123 uses the same modules for other applications to be able to make them in very large volume. Unfortunately, they seem to be heading in the opposite direction as they were very recently dumped by GM in favor of a different supplier for the Chevy Spark. Not that the Spark was going to be a huge seller, but at least it was an in-production car from a major car maker, which the Fisker Karma is not (at least not yet).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts