Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point in time would anyone buying a collectors edition karma?
I like the fact its a special edition but in my eyes they all are now...so since its an extremely early build would it not be smart to buy over a late (2000+) VIN?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I've owned my Signature Edition #72 since December, 2011. So, of course I think the SE are special. It is true that it is a very early build, but mine got all the upgrades so it is probably in better shape than many later builds. I have the green ring since both my motors and RDM was changed when my motors spun out at 7500 miles. My battery was switched at recall. My HVAC unit has been changed. All the service has been done by Frank Kent Fisker. So, I think more important than late VIN is the history of the individual car.

·
Registered
546 Posts
@vegasbar10der: I agree with Sigurd's statement that the history of the individual car is more important than the VIN.

My Karma's VIN is 2669 which is the highest VIN I have ever seen reported here on FiskerBuzz. Shortly after Fisker Automotive went bankrupt, a module in my HV battery went bad, requiring the replacement of the battery at my expense (roughly $25,000). Luckily, one of the techs who posts here regularly (Lormax) was able to find a brand new battery for me and performed the work.

It's also worth keeping in mind that, while VINs are an indication of when the car was produced, the VINS are not perfectly sequential. A Karma with a VIN of 2600 will have definitely been produced later than a VIN of 500. But a Karma with a VIN of 550 may *not* have been produced prior to a Karma with a VIN of 600.

As you may have already discovered, several techs post here regularly. Often, they are familiar with Karmas that members want to buy and can either vouch for the car having updated parts/software of will tell you to stay away from it for various reasons. The best bet is to post the VIN of any Karma that interests you to see what the community here says about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the input!!....great idea so here is the VIN of the car I am most interested in and it is obviously NOT the collector edition but rather a late VIN.....

VIN:YH4K14AA0CA002114

It's in AZ, extremely low miles (2000+) which looks attractive but on the other hand scares me because of possible long periods of time sitting unchanged ....Maybe....

Anyways if anyone has knowledge of this car other than WATTGAS who was extremely helpful, let me know....thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Thanks all for the input!!....great idea so here is the VIN of the car I am most interested in and it is obviously NOT the collector edition but rather a late VIN.....

VIN:YH4K14AA0CA002114

It's in AZ, extremely low miles (2000+) which looks attractive but on the other hand scares me because of possible long periods of time sitting unchanged ....Maybe....

Anyways if anyone has knowledge of this car other than WATTGAS who was extremely helpful, let me know....thanks!!
Can anyone give me info on vin # YH4k14aa1ca001733? REPRESENTED TO BE A "COLLECTORS EDITION"
"Collector's Edition" was never an official Fisker designation. "Signature Edition" refers to the first 100 cars produced, with corresponding VIN numbers. But after VIN number -101, everything else is either Eco Standard, Eco Sport, or Eco Chic. The fact that this car is represented with a made-up designation should be the first, and very large, red flag, IMHO.

·
2012 White Eco Sport 2348
174 Posts
I am looking at YH4K14AA3CA002348. Anyone have info? It lived in Ohio and texas before moving to CA. Also just out of curiosity, what is the difference in vin before the CA. I see 1's and 3's.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I am looking at YH4K14AA3CA002348. Anyone have info? It lived in Ohio and texas before moving to CA. Also just out of curiosity, what is the difference in vin before the CA. I see 1's and 3's.

See this thread: http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/924-vin-breakdown-info.html#post8436

That digit appears to be a checksum:
Yes, the C is "2012". It will go to D in 2013, E in 2014, etc. The "4" before it is a checksum digit (see the wikipedia page for computing checksums).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts