Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced, painted the wood within the cabin of the car? Any videos available that shows how to remove them? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I used Watco Oil on my reclaimed wood. Looks as good, if not better, then new. The Watco oil can be applied without having to remove the wood so it's a very easy solution to prolonging the life and beauty of the wood. If the wood is rough, you can apply the Watco oil with a little steel wool. I've been using Watco oil as a bare wood finish for many decades and will continue to use it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks marswill! I actually want to remove and wrap, then reinstall. Looking for help removing, so I don't break. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Thanks marswill! I actually want to remove and wrap, then reinstall. Looking for help removing, so I don't break. Thanks again!

It's been so long ago I removed one and wrapped it in carbon fiber came out great.They come out very easy go between the dash pad and the wood with a thin screwdriver and pop out the wood it's held in by a couple of clips. I use a trim panel removal tool almost looks like a paint stick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been so long ago I removed one and wrapped it in carbon fiber came out great.They come out very easy go between the dash pad and the wood with a thin screwdriver and pop out the wood it's held in by a couple of clips. I use a trim panel removal tool almost looks like a paint stick.
Thanks so much harleyguy! What about the second piece in the back? Same clips, do just pops out?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same deal just lift up on it held in by clips
Already figured that out. Thanks again. By the way, they marketed the car with reclaimed wood, but the pieces are plastic. Maybe a paper thin laminate over the plastic. Crazy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
...they marketed the car with reclaimed wood, but the pieces are plastic. Maybe a paper thin laminate over the plastic. Crazy!
Nothing crazy and not ascam. Actually it's the case in ALL cars - it's just a veneer. Certainly you don't think all that wood in Jaguars, Bentleys, Mercedes, ect are solid blocks/boards of wood all over the dash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing crazy and not ascam. Actually it's the case in ALL cars - it's just a veneer. Certainly you don't think all that wood in Jaguars, Bentleys, Mercedes, ect are solid blocks/boards of wood all over the dash.
Anyone else remember when it was all solid wood though? My old Rovers, Jags and MGs all had beautiful thick slabs of burlwood for dashboards, door caps and trim. One of our rovers even had solid burlwood picnic tables and crystal glassware that folded out of the back. Just gorgeous with chrome trim and cream leather.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Anyone else remember when it was all solid wood though? My old Rovers, Jags and MGs all had beautiful thick slabs of burlwood for dashboards, door caps and trim. One of our rovers even had solid burlwood picnic tables and crystal glassware that folded out of the back. Just gorgeous with chrome trim and cream leather.
Those were the days

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just weird that they promoted as reclaimed wood as a product benefit, when it is plastic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You might have mistaken the wood you saw as being a solid exotic board(s). Many people think they have solid birdseye maple, mahogany, etc (or the sales rep told you that) but in fact it’s actually a thin veneer or a very thin board over a support with a core of wood/plastic, or metal. It's been that way since definitely the mid 70s. Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and all the ultra-manufacturers using high end wood trim follow the same process and have done so for many years and its no secret.

Same process for furniture to make it look like solid exotic wood, when in fact it’s a wood core with a veneer, hence they can advertrise "solid wood furniture".

Here are pics:

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might have mistaken the wood you saw as being a solid exotic board(s). Many people think they have solid birdseye maple, mahogany, etc (or the sales rep told you that) but in fact it’s actually a thin veneer or a very thin board over a support with a core of wood/plastic, or metal. It's been that way since definitely the mid 70s. Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and all the ultra-manufacturers using high end wood trim follow the same process and have done so for many years and its no secret.

Same process for furniture to make it look like solid exotic wood, when in fact it’s a wood core with a veneer, hence they can advertrise "solid wood furniture".
Yes, you're right! One car I remember in particular was a Rover P5. What had me convinced it was solid is that it had the same finish on the back of the door panels and dashboard where clearly no-one could or ever would see. I did a little digging to find out why. Apparently back in the day, they would laminate the back of the panels also to balance the stresses in the wood, which made it look like a solid piece - it had a burl finish all the way around, plus an endgrain. Now that I think of it, I'm sure the end grain wouldn't have matched. Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment:) Always fun learning something new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here are pics:

Thanks for the clarification and visual aid. Very helpful and clarifies the facts. Much appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts