Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not specifically referring to the airbag recall, although I would expect that recall info to recorded somewhere eventually - I was actually referring to the site that used to be available to view the recall records for any Karma.

Is it anywhere?

Simon

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I was not specifically referring to the airbag recall, although I would expect that recall info to recorded somewhere eventually - I was actually referring to the site that used to be available to view the recall records for any Karma.

Is it anywhere?

Simon

Once Henrik got the Fisker "brand" back the website was taken down. The information itself resides with Karma but the external access to the public does not exist.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

Is it anywhere?

Simon
That's been down for a while. I posted a question about it on the official KA forum back in January, and this was the official response:

Owners can enter their VIN on the following page to find information about recall campaigns: https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/. Should any further vehicle-specific information be required, owners are welcome to contact Client Services via email ([email protected]) and we will gladly assist where possible.
The other option would be to contact KA Directly or contact a CSP.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this - I tried the URL and entered my VIN and got the following:

The VIN you entered cannot be processed at this time. Please verify that it was entered correctly and that your vehicle’s manufacturer is included in the list of Available Manufacturers. Please contact your vehicle manufacturer for more information.

This is a bit more than idle curiosity on my part; if KA is not maintaining these records, then it could mean that they have finally moved on from the existing Karma owner base and we're back in the wild west as soon as the current warranties expire. I doubt that KA is manufacturing any non-Revero spare parts, of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know the status of the airbag recall? A woman injured by a Takata airbag in a Honda just received a multi million dollar settlement. How can they send a recall and not actually do a **** thing about it? Does the FED govt monitor adherence to recall? So Ford or anyone can issue a recall for unsafe parts and NEVER EVER do the recall?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Here is a link to the current status and history as well as affected cars, including Fisker.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massiv...now-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

Takata filed for bankruptcy, since the fines, cost and stock depreciation had (rightfully) an negative affect on Takata. The NTSB set aside $850Million from the fines to Takata to compensate affected Auto manufactures to replace the airbags. In terms of Fisker, the site has no new information. Our only connection appears to be through Karma Automotive.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Is there anyway one could optionally PAY for new airbags just to ... ya know ... not die?
Remember that the only airbag affected is the front passenger side bag. As long as your loved ones sit in the back (and only the mother-in-law in front), you should be OK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there anyway one could optionally PAY for new airbags just to ... ya know ... not die?
Remember that the only airbag affected is the front passenger side bag. As long as your loved ones sit in the back (and only the mother-in-law in front), you should be OK.
While funny, I would like to know if there's a new bag/part able to be paid for to replace and if so, how much?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
While funny, I would like to know if there's a new bag/part able to be paid for to replace and if so, how much?
I think that at this point the constraint is availability of replacement airbags, not really the funds to pay for them.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Agreed if we ever see upgradable airbags for the flaw on the front passenger side it will be a bonus. Do not expect it to come and if ti does it will be a boon. KA themselves have sent mixed messages with regards to t he airbag recall. Saying unequivocally they will provide the parts and labor to support this but there has been no evidence thus far to support such statements. The only manner in which to procure these parts is through Karma's self imposed recall mechanism which has not been fruitful up to this point. It is unclear if they will make good on this promise.

Having said all this we do know of an upgraded compatible airbag that may work with the karma but do not have the crash test facilities to determine it is 100% compatible. The part in itself is not proprietary to the 2012 Fisker Karma passenger side.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I received a recall letter today from Karma Automotive regarding airbag replacement. They will be doing it for free, just need to either email them at [email protected] or call 855-288-6109. That's a positive!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I received a recall letter today from Karma Automotive regarding airbag replacement. They will be doing it for free, just need to either email them at [email protected] or call 855-288-6109. That's a positive!
I got my letter too. Looks like the shipment of airbags finally arrived.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yesterday I called my nearest service center to perform the recall work (Karma Miami). Never got a call back, so tried again this morning, and finally connected with someone in service. He said parts came in only yesterday, and they're doing their first recall job now, but that they were budgeting 18 HOURS for the work. So 2 days. I asked if there is a loaner car given that timetable and was told 'no'.

I'm wondering if I should cancel and let these guys figure out what they're doing and get that time down closer to the 3.5 hours stated in the recall letter, or would waiting put me at the end of a very long line of 2012s here in Miami (there are probably still more than 50 of them). Tough call.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts