Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This board is a treasure trove of info, and being able to search it is even better, but I have some questions so basic that I don't think they've been asked. Here's my first in what will probably be a series that disproves the adage "there's no such thing as a stupid question":

1. That slot in the center console - what is it? It looks big enough to hold a credit card. Maybe it's for holding a garage pass-key? Maybe I'll destroy the car if I do jamb a passkey in there? Who knows?

2. Open the lid of the center console compartment, and there are 3 notches at the front - are those coin holders? Do you put the coin in vertically? I don't get it.

3. What do the symbols on the charger (that comes with the car) mean? There is a lightning bolt and an exclamation mark. I'm getting a Bosch charger in a few weeks (when they start shipping) but until then I'm using this thing and it disabled my first outlet, didn't seem to work on the second, and seems to be good on #3.

4. Stupidest one: whenever I approach the car it's unlocked. Is that because I'm carrying the key, or am I leaving it unlocked overnight? How do I really KNOW it's locked after I push the lock button? How far do I have to get away until it's locked, and how close until its unlocked? Like if I am 20 feet away from the car reading the paper at starbucks, can someone get in and start it (and even drive away)?

·
Registered
913 Posts
1 - don't know

2 - I've always assumed they're for letting cords come out, for ipods and phones and such.

3 - these are "universal" (hah, as if) icons: lightning bolts indicate electricity and exclamation marks indicate something wrong/odd/whatever. (I don't have these on my charger...)

4 - By default (unless you turn it off) the horn honks when you lock the car with the key fob. No honk = not locked. As for how far away you can be if the car is unlocked, the "key fob left car" detect is usually pretty swift, I've had it fire off when stepping just a few feet / a meter or so outside the car to get mail, for instance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On 4), does the car detect the key approaching without unlocking it on the key fob? We don't have keyless entry, do we?

·
Registered
886 Posts
As far as i know:

Yes, it is a parking ticket holder, the two notches are for wiring your iPod or mobile phone, the three notches are for coins.
The car is expected to be closed after the lights are flashing. In Germany, the horn is not allowed for this reason...

No idea about the charger... haven't used it for month...

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Once you lock your car, you must unlock it by pushing the middle button. If you approach the car, and it is locked, it will still be locked until you unlock it with the button.

Be careful with that middle button! If you press and hold it down you get what was for me an unexpected result. All of your windows roll down! Many of us have come back to a locked car, with all the windows rolled down. I don't think there is a way to disable that feature.

·
Registered
483 Posts
On 4), does the car detect the key approaching without unlocking it on the key fob? We don't have keyless entry, do we?
Short answer is no.

Long answer is yes, but its not actually activated.

I'm guessing the reason teh car was found to be unlocked was the OP had the key fob in his pocket and accidentally pressed the unlock button at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
1. That slot in the center console - what is it? It looks big enough to hold a credit card. Maybe it's for holding a garage pass-key? Maybe I'll destroy the car if I do jamb a passkey in there? Who knows?

4. Stupidest one: whenever I approach the car it's unlocked. Is that because I'm carrying the key, or am I leaving it unlocked overnight? How do I really KNOW it's locked after I push the lock button? How far do I have to get away until it's locked, and how close until its unlocked? Like if I am 20 feet away from the car reading the paper at starbucks, can someone get in and start it (and even drive away)?
1 - I was told by a Fisker european rep that they were designed to hold the highway toll tickets used in Europe. I have found that they also hold US parking tickets and receipts very handily.

4 - There is no proximity-based unlock system, the big Fisker button has to be pressed before the car is unlocked. If your jeans are a bit on the tight side, you may be inadvertently pressing the button as you put the (crazily large) FOB in your pocket.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3. What do the symbols on the charger (that comes with the car) mean? There is a lightning bolt and an exclamation mark. I'm getting a Bosch charger in a few weeks (when they start shipping) but until then I'm using this thing and it disabled my first outlet, didn't seem to work on the second, and seems to be good on #3.
Actually, this one IS in the owners' manual (section 6). The bolt means electricity is flowing in the right amount to charge the vehicle, and exclamation means fault with the charger itself. Mine is still not working on plug #3 now, so I think I must just have a bad unit. The green lights blink in the following sequence:
"3 green lights" "1 green light" "1 green light" - like some kind of morse code. It probably means something to whoever designed the plug, but not me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Actually, this one IS in the owners' manual (section 6). The bolt means electricity is flowing in the right amount to charge the vehicle, and exclamation means fault with the charger itself. Mine is still not working on plug #3 now, so I think I must just have a bad unit. The green lights blink in the following sequence:
"3 green lights" "1 green light" "1 green light" - like some kind of morse code. It probably means something to whoever designed the plug, but not me.
Are the outlets on the same circuit? That fault indicates the Protective Earth Ground is missing & is an outlet wiring issue.

I'd suggest trying to plug in somewhere else other than your home to isolate the issue.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are the outlets on the same circuit? That fault indicates the Protective Earth Ground is missing & is an outlet wiring issue.
#1 and #3 may be on same circuit. Outlet #2 was a different one, but I had to use an extension cord to reach it, which created other complications. I won't consider the included charger a "write-off" just yet, but it seems it won't do me much good around my own home, which will matter much less when the charging station is installed, but is frustrating now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
with the charger only connected to the wall out let (not plugged in to vehicle), do you have the same blinking lights?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts