Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: remote proximity start system

Fisker ads proclaim that the Karma has a "remote proximity start system." How do you activate this? Do this allow you to turn the car on before you open the door? All I know how to do is roll down all 4 windows from the key fob.:huh:

Also, how do you activate/control the fan that is supposed to come on when the car is parked to keep it cool?...or is this automatic? So far, I haven't noticed the car being any cooler than other cars, after being parked in the sun.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Which ads? How old? Not all those features made it to production.

The solar panels are supposed to automatically power a fan when parked in the sun, but so far I don't think there's any control over it. The solar power readout feature was to be fixed in a firmware update.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Fisker ads proclaim that the Karma has a "remote proximity start system." How do you activate this? Do this allow you to turn the car on before you open the door? All I know how to do is roll down all 4 windows from the key fob.:huh:

Also, how do you activate/control the fan that is supposed to come on when the car is parked to keep it cool?...or is this automatic? So far, I haven't noticed the car being any cooler than other cars, after being parked in the sun.
Eric,

Remote Proximity Start refers to the fact that the car detects the presence of the key and allows you to press the Start button as long as the key is in the car. The car also detects if the key leaves the vehicle while it's running.

There are two forms of pre-start ventilation mentioned by Fisker:

Cabin Preconditioning is a feature whereby the user can press and hold a button on the fob and the car will engage the heater or air conditioning to bring the car to the desired temperature before you get in. Cabin Preconditioning is not working. Fisker has acknowledged as much and has committed to addressing it eventually.

What *IS* working is that if the car is parked in the sun and the 12V battery is fully charged the car will use the electricity generated by the solar panels to run a circulation fan in the vehicle to help cool the interior. This does not engage the compressor or heater, and it does not target a particular temperature, it's just a fan. There's nothing you need to do to engage this; it happens automatically.

You can read lots more on the topic in this thread:
Karma Cooler in the Sun

Brent

·
Registered
88 Posts
I live in Southern California and can tell you the cabin is noticeably cooler after a hot day in the sun versus other cars with similar interiors I have owned. I cannot confirm that the fan actually is running whilst the car is parked but I would assume it is. With my SLK with black interior sometimes I couldn't even hold the steering wheel on a hot sunny day and began sweating as soon as my butt hit the oven-hot uphostery. In my Karma with Monsoon Tritone it is a bit stuffy but otherwise completely comfortable.

Buck

·
Registered
199 Posts
I live in Southern California and can tell you the cabin is noticeably cooler after a hot day in the sun versus other cars with similar interiors I have owned. I cannot confirm that the fan actually is running whilst the car is parked but I would assume it is. With my SLK with black interior sometimes I couldn't even hold the steering wheel on a hot sunny day and began sweating as soon as my butt hit the oven-hot uphostery. In my Karma with Monsoon Tritone it is a bit stuffy but otherwise completely comfortable.

Buck
It works. Next time - before entering the car - hold your ear close to the wipers. You can then hear the fan humming. Note that 12v battery must be full to function.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
The feature does work and you can hear the blower motor running it's very noticeably if you listen from the outside of the car passenger side near the cowling .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts