Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Zero Motorcycle's explanation of the Range for the electric motorcycle...

Range
City (EPA UDDS) 114 miles (183 km)
Highway (commuting, 70mph) 63 miles (101 km)

This explains why when I take the freeway to work It burns double the miles vs taking the side streets..

so Fisker Karma's range should be something like this:
City 46 miles
Highway (commuting, 70mph) 28 miles

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
MyColorIsGreen said:
I like Zero Motorcycle's explanation of the Range for the electric motorcycle...

Range
City (EPA UDDS) 114 miles (183 km)
Highway (commuting, 70mph) 63 miles (101 km)

This explains why when I take the freeway to work It burns double the miles vs taking the side streets..

so Fisker Karma's range should be something like this:
City 46 miles
Highway (commuting, 70mph) 28 miles
My highway commuting at 60-70mph, with A/C blasting is around 40miles, certainly nothing as low as 28 miles. My 36 mile round trip commute yesterday left me with 8 miles left of estimated electricity.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where do you guys live that you can commute at 70 MPH?

Here, you drive faster on the side roads than on the freeways during commute hours - you just have to put up with the traffic lights.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I take the 241 toll road and the 5 freeway for a total of 8.5 miles driving at 80-85 mph. (Pedal on the floor). When I get to the office I'm sitting at 31 miles left coming back home my car is sitting at like 11 miles left... A few miles driving to lunch between that. This is going to the office at 11am and returning at like 8 pm.

If I drive to the office during traffic 9am returning at 5:30 I can get the car in the garage at night with 24 miles left

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Here is the breakdown of my morning commute ...

2.7 Miles of surface road @ 35 mph average
8.1 Miles of counter-traffic highway @ 70 mph
2.1 Miles of surface road @ 40 mph average

12.9 Total miles average trip time 20 - 25 minutes
AC power consumption 1/3 of 6 mph or 2 miles

Total power consumption about 15 Miles

Indicated mileage available when I park at my office 33 Miles

Range = 48 Miles

I have done this commute, most work days, on the same roads, with the same result for about 5 months.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
MyColorIsGreen said:
Well I take the 241 toll road and the 5 freeway for a total of 8.5 miles driving at 80-85 mph. (Pedal on the floor). When I get to the office I'm sitting at 31 miles left coming back home my car is sitting at like 11 miles left... A few miles driving to lunch between that. This is going to the office at 11am and returning at like 8 pm.

If I drive to the office during traffic 9am returning at 5:30 I can get the car in the garage at night with 24 miles left
Green, are you going to attend the Fisker event in OC this weekend?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Deep Ocean said:
MyColorIsGreen said:

Green, are you going to attend the Fisker event in OC this weekend?
I am...hope to see you there.

Buck

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
teslaowner said:
Where do you guys live that you can commute at 70 MPH?

Here, you drive faster on the side roads than on the freeways during commute hours - you just have to put up with the traffic lights.
I live in San Francisco and commute on US 280 to Cupertino. The traffic moves close to 80 MPH in some portions of that trip. I, of course, always obey the posted speed limit ;) and also try to maximize my battery range by keeping my speed down, but many other cars pass me at much higher speeds. I also don't enjoy hearing the Nav Lady nag me about my speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@kwsmith007 - your range is not 48 miles. If you used 17 (out of 50) to go 12.9 miles your range is closer to 39 miles. You used about 1/3 of the battery to go just under 13 miles.
To give you an extreme example, I can't claim that my Karma has 49 miles of range if I drive 1 mile and the battery tells me I have 48 miles left...

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I drive 18 miles to work each morning in stop and go side streets. When I get to work I always show 32 miles of charge remaining.
When I leave at night I take the expressway and since I work later I can usually travel around 75-80mph. My expressway commute is about 2 miles longer but when I get home I only have 24 miles of range left.
So high speed travel eats up much more juice and I think the re-gen braking really helps on the side street commute.
I almost exclusively use stealth mode. I have close to 9000 miles on my car and to date have used 21 gallons of gas.

Hey Fab--- you can turn that Nag off you know!

PS: I just installed my stage 2 Schneider charger at home and for some reason it charges slower than my unit (the same) at work???? Weird!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Grebechini said:
Hey Fab--- you can turn that Nag off you know!
I know, in fact that capability has been there since the beginning. But the road I travel on is a favorite speeder hunting ground for California's Highway Finest, so I have her set to warm me it I start going seriously over the limit, which is easy to do in a Karma. It also helps with stretching the battery range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts