Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

for the first time, my Karma CIU reset itself:

- no rear camera
- just English and Spanish language
- no Navigation
- SAT-Radio 'Button' is available, but no reception (Button is normally not available for non US edition)
- Radio presets are gone
- Radio always starts at 89,5 MHz
- Miles and °F instead of Km/°C

The software might think, being in the US.

I'd think, I have my shop reflash the CIU.

Will this help or will it stay crazy?

As the Radio always starts at 89,5 MHz, I've put a FM transmitter into my car, set to 89,5 MHz, to get connected to my phone...
At least I don't have to deal with the noise at 89,5, as there is no station transmitting on this frequency :)

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Need to reflash the CIU you should be able to switch between F and C using the center button. Where you set the temperature. I also believe the European files to flash the CIU are different from ours I think the European radio stations are one megahertz lower or higher then ours .

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought, that the CIU hardware is different because of the radio frequencies and the omitted Satellite radio part.

I have an US version with the improved graphics files, but we haven't been able to flash the EU files on it....
My tech told me, that he did not notice the SAT antenna connectors on the EU CIUs.

I have an appointment in 7 days.

Thanks

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I thought, that the CIU hardware is different because of the radio frequencies and the omitted Satellite radio part.

I have an US version with the improved graphics files, but we haven't been able to flash the EU files on it....
My tech told me, that he did not notice the SAT antenna connectors on the EU CIUs.

I have an appointment in 7 days.

Thanks
The CIU's are different North America vs GCC, China and EU

You will need to swap CIU's to the EU variant (the DIS also requires a flash although the same DIS is used in all 2012 cars)

The Canadian CIU is the same as the US version but just has the settings in Metric vs Imperial- which was likely the settings you were using if you have a NA CIU

Is your shop flashing via PRODIS or Puma?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for misguiding you.

I certainly have my original CIU installed in my EU Karma. This CIU melde the trouble right now.

Referencing the US CIU: I bought one in US, imagining this as a good way, to get the improved graphics into my Karma.
My shop tried to flash the EU software on it, which did not work out.
During this session, my tech mentioned the SAT connector...

I'll ask my tech, which tool he is using.
What would be the difference?

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Sorry for misguiding you.

I certainly have my original CIU installed in my EU Karma. This CIU melde the trouble right now.

Referencing the US CIU: I bought one in US, imagining this as a good way, to get the improved graphics into my Karma.
My shop tried to flash the EU software on it, which did not work out.
During this session, my tech mentioned the SAT connector...

I'll ask my tech, which tool he is using.
What would be the difference?
Prodis is not as reliable in flashing the CIU as the PUMA tool. Puma tool runs an automated script when plugged in which usually works much more effectively vs trying to flash with PRODIS.

With regards to the new graphics- that is a USB stick flash- have not tried it on a EU CIU variant but I don't see why it shouldn't work. The hardware likely won't make a a difference since it will lock out the features that are not supported by the hardware. If your shop does have the beta CIU flash they should give it a try on the EU CIU and see what happens- worst case scenario they can flash back to the original version.

Very strange though that it reverted back to US spec on a EU CIU randomly. Something must have bricked the bootloader and it reverted to the north american version.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Prodis is not as reliable in flashing the CIU as the PUMA tool. Puma tool runs an automated script when plugged in which usually works much more effectively vs trying to flash with PRODIS.

With regards to the new graphics- that is a USB stick flash- have not tried it on a EU CIU variant but I don't see why it shouldn't work. The hardware likely won't make a a difference since it will lock out the features that are not supported by the hardware. If your shop does have the beta CIU flash they should give it a try on the EU CIU and see what happens- worst case scenario they can flash back to the original version.

Very strange though that it reverted back to US spec on a EU CIU randomly. Something must have bricked the bootloader and it reverted to the north american version.
No way they have the BETA software very few copies made it out of the factory:D They can use Prodis to flash the beta software also. I also doubt they have a PUMA tool maybe I should start sending mine overseas. I also have the European CIU software but not sure if it also corrects the radio stations being one Megahertz off compared to the states might have to try and install it and see what happens

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Harleyguy,

If you plan to have a solution for a PC solution overseas, I am pretty sure a lot of the users on this forum will embrace this - I will for sure.

Not that we cannot or will not use the local CSP´s, but for many of us there is a 1.000 km drive (++, for me 1.300 km one way), which is a time issue for most, and for something which can, often - it seems, be solved by a reflash or other "magic" things you are able to do remotely. Avoiding 1.300 km x 2 makes me very supportive of any remote solution. Time zone should be possible ( 6 - 8 hours), shipping to forum users will ensure responsibility and traceability, I am sure it will be "in orbit" more or less constantly.

Let me know if I can do anything to help on this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
The only way to fix this problem is you need my stand alone tool or a CSP. My tool will be on its way to Spain once I get it back from another customer Im helping

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I couldn't get it fixed yet.
The tech of my CSP is ill and he seems to be the only one with the authorization to operate the tools :-/
In the meantime, the AC stopped working... I only get hot air if the ICE is running and the AC fan is not working at all, which is a bit complicated to drive in wet weather...

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoke to my CSP.
He told me, that the CIU refuses to take the software.

He uploads.
after about 1 1/2 hours, the process ends with OK,
But after a restart, it is still an US version, not keeping settings beyond the next power cycle...

Any further recommendations?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Spoke to my CSP.
He told me, that the CIU refuses to take the software.

He uploads.
after about 1 1/2 hours, the process ends with OK,
But after a restart, it is still an US version, not keeping settings beyond the next power cycle...

Any further recommendations?
I would suggest never turning the car off, but that is slightly impractical.:D

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, but I think this is an ongoing issue...

Today, I discovered my radio presets, backup camera and navigation, as well as Bluetooth configuration were gone. I can set the presets, but once the car has gone to sleep, they are lost again. Interestingly, the Bluetooth configuration is stable after re-pairing...

So the only advice is to re-flash the CIU? A hard reset won't help? I don't think I have had water intrusion - I last washed the car several weeks ago and have had no issues in the meantime (my car lives in a climate controlled garage otherwise), but you never know...

This should be a sticky thread, I think...

Any thoughts?

Simon

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Had the same issue; solved w/Adam's tool a few days ago. Simple at home fix.
I have been in touch with Adam and will be reflashing with his tool shortly. What concerns me is that since the cause of the failure is not known, how long before the same problem occurs and under what circumstances?

Simon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts