Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a very low mile Fisker without the soft spline / RDM/TMs (traction motors) being fixed?

(*Assumed VIN that is a "Soft spline" Fisker.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
yes, why not? a lot of them on the road are like that,

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would say it depends on how much they want for the car.

Also depends on whether the car has been diagnosed by a cetified mechanic to tell you any other potential repairs needed.

@FiskerPhilly is reintroducing pre owned Karmas with major repairs like batteries, RDMs and TMs already done. I suggest contacting him or @Harleyguy to get some advice on the Karma you're looking at.

Good luck - when you find the right one you will love it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's a matter of price: I would assume that the soft-spline motors would need replacement, find out how much the replacement costs, look at the cost of the time I'm sans car as well, and then see if I get enough of a discount on that Karma (vs some other Karma without those problems).

·
Registered
189 Posts
As mentioned - "Yes" assuming the price is right. My car has unfortunately had battery modules and RDM issues all under 4K mi, some partially covered under the owner warranty. If you can get the car at a good price just factor in a $10k worst case. I think all the issues can be easily addressed and it all depends on your financial and time tolerance of having the work done when/if something nasty happens (I think I have had all the worst).

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
According to KarmaNew... see the Karma Automotive forum, Karma Auto recommends the soft-splines be replace and the RDM be repaired. I have had two RDMs in my Karma since new -- one under the initial warranty, the second I bought and had modified (something to do with a retainer, pinion movement and seals). The second is working fine, and I will have the RDM that was removed modified and keep as a (hopefully unnecessary) spare. The motor splines were inspected and found no to little wear. However, the hardened splines were not available at the time, so the CSP followed the recommended procedure at the time -- that was to reverse the two motors, and loctite the splines together. I understood that no one had seen a failure with that procedure. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd go for the "used Karma programme", Fisker of Cherry Hill offers.
Why taking the risk to pay for the stuff in a few month, when you can get the full repair for (most likely) less money?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yes. We should think of it like insurance. We all pledge a moderate amount of money, to support the cars that die knowing that ours will be fixed if we lose the lottery. I was thinking of proposing an "informal" such idea among my local group of Karma owners when The New Fisker showed up and made sure people could use their CSP funds. I'd rather spend $1000 with 10 fellow owners to know I'd never have to spend $10,000!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts