Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I'm an original owner, I have a low VIN # car, #426 , that's currently at the CSP in Dallas. The seal in the RDM happened to fail just before I took it in for service before the 01/31 deadline......the cost to replace the RDM is eating up all of the warranty funds available (I'm told just the rdm parts are $5,100!!) and when I asked if it could fail again, they tell me yes, that there have been no design changes to the RDM, that the seal in it failed, which allowed all of the fluid to leak out. This happened while parked, not while driven and my car only has 4,000 miles on it, so my question is, is this accurate? Has there not been any changes to the RDM? I'm going to have to spend $4,000.00 out of pocket (on top of the $5000 in warranty funds) to cover the RDM and the other current issues with the car. Also, they are not doing anything about the soft splines in the car, Karma News has previously posted if they have the RDM out, it's only an extra 2 hours labor to deal with the soft splines, "don't put the RDM back in and then have 14 hours of labor later down the line to get back to the soft splines". The CSP seems to want to do the bare minimum to get the car back out the door; last thing I want is to pay all of this money and then be right back where I am now, with soft splines and a leaking RDM that has to be replaced!! Any advice or guidance is MUCH appreciated. Thank you

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
There are two common failures that cause a leaking differential:

1. Pinion Nut Backing Off
2. Pinched Seals

Is your CSP rebuilding the RDM or swapping it out with a re-manufactured unit?

There have been some minor changes to the RDM that deals with issue #1 and all RDM's should have this fix applied. If swapping out likely #1 won't be an issue. From the sound of the costs it looks like they are swapping out the RDM with a re-manufactured unit rather than rebuilding yours?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Correct, we almost never replace RDMS unless there is physical damage to the ring gear, pinion or aluminum housing. We rebuild and repair and yes there's been several modifications to the unit also known as reworks we perform to the existing unit.
Also we rebuild the motors with hard splines while apart. But none of the other csp's are capable of that at the moment though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts