Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. This is an excellent website and a fabulous resource.

Before I proceed & buy the Fisker Karma below, does anyone see any red flags?
Is there anything I should do to make sure I don't make a mistake?
After reading about these cars, recall info, after purchase repair cost.....I am a little nervous.

The dealer showed me a few very tiny/small stone chips as the only cosmetic imperfections. I want a car that has 100% original paint & zero body repairs.
Carfax comes up clean, but some accidents don't get reported.

The front tires show wear which surprised me for this low mileage.
Other than these items, I am told the car is close to new.

Is it strange that the tires are from 2 different manufacturers?
Front tires are Goodyear's with decent wear on the outer tread.
Rear tires are Pirelli's in excellent condition.

Any thoughts after looking at the link below?

Seller:
Greater Chicago Motors
2012 Fisker Karma EcoSport
Black on Black
7,200 miles
YH4K14AA3CA001846

See the car here:
http://www.greaterchicagomotors.com...service-and-inspection-chicago-il-id-12996235

I really appreciate and responses I get from this posting & am looking forward to being a new owner soon!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tire edge wear on Goodyear is normal. Goodyear states the F1 is meant to be a full contact performance summer only tire and the edges wear off within the first 5k. There hardly any tread cut in the edges when they're new. They state you must only judge the wear by the center tread indicators. However most people don't like the appearance of "bald" tires so they switch to the Yokohama Parade which is the only other tire made in that size. There are several options to fir the rear hence the Pirelli on that car.
If you're in Chicago I'd ditch the Goodyears as they will chatter and shudder big time on tight turns in the cold weather since they are not cold tolerant. Refer to the dozens of threads here for details.
Good luck, looks like a decent car though.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
2012 Fisker Karma EcoSport
Black on Black
7,200 miles
YH4K14AA3CA001846

See the car here:
http://www.greaterchicagomotors.com...service-and-inspection-chicago-il-id-12996235

I really appreciate and responses I get from this posting & am looking forward to being a new owner soon!
Did a quick VIN Check and looks like some important recent updates were not completed:

Recall/Campaign # Description Launch Date Status Completed Date Odometer Reading
BASELINE 520 BASELINE 520 2015-05-20 Expired Not Reported
370120038 DOOR PULL RING CAMPAIGN 2012-11-13 Open Not Reported

390120058 BASELINE 510 RELEASE OVERVIEW 2012-10-17 Completed 2013-01-03 41
520120016 LOW TEMPERATURE COOLING FAN VOLUNTARY SA 2012-08-24 Completed 2012-09-28 41
390120040 BASELINE 628 RELEASE OVERVIEW CAMPAIGN 2012-06-22 Completed 2012-09-30 41
The car is running fairly old software (BL510), which could be problematic and also the emergency door pulls have not been properly secured and could come off the cord. At a minimum, I would ask to see documentation that these campaigns were already done. Do you have access to a Karma service center who can do these? If not, you may want to consider other cars available where these issues are already done. Also make sure you review the other possible issues that you need to look out for in this thread, appropriately called "Buyer's Check List".

Another option is to buy an inspected and certified used car from a current Karma service provider, such as @FiskerPhilly, that comes with two years of factory powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car Purchsed

Thank you Fisker of Cherry Hill for your response about the Goodyear's. I never would have known that the tires are supposed to wear this way. You are a leader and an amazing contributor to this website. I am actually in Allentown, PA only about 60 miles away from you. Once you move to Devon, PA you will be even closer.

I actually bought the car yesterday for $47,000. It appeared to be the best deal in the Fisker market at this time when you compare the black color/mileage/price. I took the chance and am hoping I don't get burnt. Because the VIN is 1846, the hope is that this car left the factory with most of the earlier quirks/bugs worked out.

I am going to sour this forum for answers to my questions. I'd like to know what the experts here think I should do once the car arrives.

What would be a list of items to check immediately?

How do I identify/verify if the key/questionable concerning items on this car have been handled already or not?

Is is possible to purchase factory original touch-up paint for my detail guy to fill-in and hopefully erase any tiny stone chips?

Is there any downside to having an invisible bra installed?

Anything else I should be doing or having gone over?

Here is a picture of recent work order, including software updates. Do I have the most up-to-date software installed?

Thank you for any advice.
Mike in PA

Attachments

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Buy my Earth and Black Fisker in the for sale board for $40k!!
HAHA!

I don't like black cars, but that's me. There is a wear chart on the F1 posted by Fabulist I think. Search for it you'll see it's normal.

Buy whatever you think is a deal, though I would bring it to a CSP to look over.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Welcome! It looks like you have the latest BL 535 software. Also you are correct about the higher VIN - you are less likely to have issues with the HV Battery and drive train. That said, if you do encounter problems, Fisker of Cherry Hill can assist you.

I agree you should have a CSP health scan and inspection sooner rather than later. Also, change the 12V battery while you're at it. The original ones are at the end of their lifetime and can fail without warning.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thank you Fisker of Cherry Hill for your response about the Goodyear's. I never would have known that the tires are supposed to wear this way. You are a leader and an amazing contributor to this website. I am actually in Allentown, PA only about 60 miles away from you. Once you move to Devon, PA you will be even closer.

I actually bought the car yesterday for $47,000. It appeared to be the best deal in the Fisker market at this time when you compare the black color/mileage/price. I took the chance and am hoping I don't get burnt. Because the VIN is 1846, the hope is that this car left the factory with most of the earlier quirks/bugs worked out.

I am going to sour this forum for answers to my questions. I'd like to know what the experts here think I should do once the car arrives.

What would be a list of items to check immediately?

How do I identify/verify if the key/questionable concerning items on this car have been handled already or not?

Is is possible to purchase factory original touch-up paint for my detail guy to fill-in and hopefully erase any tiny stone chips?

Is there any downside to having an invisible bra installed?

Anything else I should be doing or having gone over?

Here is a picture of recent work order, including software updates. Do I have the most up-to-date software installed?

Thank you for any advice.
Mike in PA
WOW! Wish you wouldnt have shown ne that Repair order! All I can say is $1200 for software I put in for free...guess I gotta change my business model...

Wish you would've called me though being this close I had a black/black car here certified with warranty.
(Sold now but was available)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer in Chicago that sold me the Fisker paid the local BMW dealership out of their own pocket to update the software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to "the club". I have owned about 25 cars in my lifetime and I dare say there is nothing quite like owning the Karma - for many reasons (mostly good!;)
There are SO many things to know about these cars! I highly suggest you send the car to a CSP right away and have a good "once over" done. There are things that can be very expensive and imperative to fix that may or may not have been done to the car and you won't know unless someone that knows the Karmas takes a detailed look at it.
I purchased my Fisker just a little more than a month ago and had it sent out to to Joe at Cherry Hill almost immediately. It wasn't cheap (I live in Cincinnati so shipping alone ran me roughly $1,000) but SO worth it. He was able to take care of a few things I needed done and give me good advice about things I didn't know anything about. He also gave me great piece of mind that I have a really great car and everything that needed attention got it.
I have had it back a couple of weeks and it feels like a new car. I will be entering her in another area car show tomorrow (took first place in the last one I put her in!) and I am so excited to continue being a "brand ambassador" for what I think it one of the best looking cars ever on the road.
I have a couple of suggestions for you based on what I have learned in the short time I have had my Fisker:
1. Buy a Clipper Creek LCS-20 EVSE hardwired wall charger: https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-...ging-station?gclid=CKTynLuf984CFQqnaQodr4YF7g

2. Do NOT pull into any parking spots until you have really gotten to know the length of the front end of your car. It is super long and very low and will hit on any curb you encounter. I only backed in until just this past week and even now I still back in anytime I can..so much easier and safer!

3. Take your car to Joe Ferrante at Cherry Hill. You can get touch-up paint, additional key fobs (that is an ordeal few can help you with if you need a second key fob!), replace anything you need replaced, etc. Joe will also give you a thorough and honest assessment of your car and in turn make sure that you don't let something go unchecked that could cause you real problems.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I have been enjoying mine. Everywhere you go in these cars is an "event"! Like yesterday, my husband and I stopped by a dealership because he saw a Ferrari f430 in a showroom and wanted to check it out. We parked my Fisker outside the showroom and preceded to check out the Ferrari inside with a salesmen. Within minutes every other salesman at this high end dealership was outside looking at, posing with and taking pictures of my Karma. Took us a while to leave because everyone wanted to talk to us about our car. :)
Again, welcome and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all this encouraging advice. This forum is the ultimate "handbook" to accompany our cars. All for one....and one for all.....help is here. It just reminds me how difficult things used to be before online forums like this. Passionate group of enthusiasts here with enormous amounts of insight & knowledge. I bought this car because of so many reasons: I have not seen a prettier body design since the 1966/67 Alfa Romeo Duetto in which I own several. Unreal to get a vehicle of this caliber under $50,000.....it's just simply unprecedented. Low production, uniqueness, & have the privilege of being the only person in town driving one. To the virgin eyes this looks like a $150,000-$2XX,XXX exotic & "unaffordable-to-most" sports car. The Karma was the clear choice for me. I will reach out to Joe at Cherry Hill Fisker as soon as I get my insurance & plate for my car.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I really appreciate all this encouraging advice. This forum is the ultimate "handbook" to accompany our cars. All for one....and one for all.....help is here. It just reminds me how difficult things used to be before online forums like this. Passionate group of enthusiasts here with enormous amounts of insight & knowledge. I bought this car because of so many reasons: I have not seen a prettier body design since the 1966/67 Alfa Romeo Duetto in which I own several. Unreal to get a vehicle of this caliber under $50,000.....it's just simply unprecedented. Low production, uniqueness, & have the privilege of being the only person in town driving one. To the virgin eyes this looks like a $150,000-$2XX,XXX exotic & "unaffordable-to-most" sports car. The Karma was the clear choice for me. I will reach out to Joe at Cherry Hill Fisker as soon as I get my insurance & plate for my car.
wait wait, some of us did spend about 100K - so i better look like a 150k car ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
wait wait, some of us did spend about 100K - so i better look like a 150k car ;-)
Even if it does not look like a $150K car now, it definitely will after next Thursday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts