Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to go with the Blink charger and will be installing it in the next few weeks in preparation for my Karma's (eventual) arrival. The final price was just a couple of hundred dollars more than the EVConnect price and the charger has much better networking and programming features and, IMHO, looks a lot better than the Lear unit.

Lets hope this goes a bit faster than getting the car itself.

-- Fab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Fabulist said:
I finally decided to go with the Blink charger and will be installing it in the next few weeks in preparation for my Karma's (eventual) arrival. The final price was just a couple of hundred dollars more than the EVConnect price and the charger has much better networking and programming features and, IMHO, looks a lot better than the Lear unit.

Lets hope this goes a bit faster than getting the car itself.

-- Fab.
I just read your post about the Blink Charger have you installed it yet? My car is scheduled to arrive mid January and I am getting ready to order my charger. I like the idea about better programming and has an internet connection. What was your out come?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles Wright said:
I just read your post about the Blink Charger have you installed it yet? My car is scheduled to arrive mid January and I am getting ready to order my charger. I like the idea about better programming and has an internet connection. What was your out come?
@Charles: No, I just placed the order. It will be a couple of weeks before the unit arrives and a few days before they can come and install it. Also, once it is installed, I will have nothing to plug it into until my Karma shows up but I should be able to (at least) play with the telematics. The overall cost with tax, shipping, permits and installation was around $2500. The EVConnect package is around $2300 but for that you get a pretty dumb unit with no network connection or programming capability.

If you buy and install either unit before December 31, you should be able to get a tax credit for 1/3 the amount of the total cost up to $1000 on your 2011 Federal taxes (check with your tax adviser on this). Depending on where you live, you may also be able to qualify for local subsidies or benefits.

Even though my Karma is nowhere near being delivered, I figured it made sense to take advantage of the tax credit before it expired at the end of the year.

-- Fab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Fabulist said:
Charles Wright said:
I just read your post about the Blink Charger have you installed it yet? My car is scheduled to arrive mid January and I am getting ready to order my charger. I like the idea about better programming and has an internet connection. What was your out come?
@Charles: No, I just placed the order. It will be a couple of weeks before the unit arrives and a few days before they can come and install it. Also, once it is installed, I will have nothing to plug it into until my Karma shows up but I should be able to (at least) play with the telematics. The overall cost with tax, shipping, permits and installation was around $2500. The EVConnect package is around $2300 but for that you get a pretty dumb unit with no network connection or programming capability.

If you buy and install either unit before December 31, you should be able to get a tax credit for 1/3 the amount of the total cost up to $1000 on your 2011 Federal taxes (check with your tax adviser on this). Depending on where you live, you may also be able to qualify for local subsidies or benefits.

Even though my Karma is nowhere near being delivered, I figured it made sense to take advantage of the tax credit before it expired at the end of the year.

-- Fab.
Thanks for the feed back Could you update me when they install it? Does it use 20 Amps? Good luck on your car delivery. I don't even have a dealer yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Charles Wright said:
Fabulist said:
Charles Wright said:
I just read your post about the Blink Charger have you installed it yet? My car is scheduled to arrive mid January and I am getting ready to order my charger. I like the idea about better programming and has an internet connection. What was your out come?
@Charles: No, I just placed the order. It will be a couple of weeks before the unit arrives and a few days before they can come and install it. Also, once it is installed, I will have nothing to plug it into until my Karma shows up but I should be able to (at least) play with the telematics. The overall cost with tax, shipping, permits and installation was around $2500. The EVConnect package is around $2300 but for that you get a pretty dumb unit with no network connection or programming capability.

If you buy and install either unit before December 31, you should be able to get a tax credit for 1/3 the amount of the total cost up to $1000 on your 2011 Federal taxes (check with your tax adviser on this). Depending on where you live, you may also be able to qualify for local subsidies or benefits.

Even though my Karma is nowhere near being delivered, I figured it made sense to take advantage of the tax credit before it expired at the end of the year.

-- Fab.
Thanks for the feed back Could you update me when they install it? Does it use 20 Amps? Good luck on your car delivery. I don't even have a dealer yet.
I just called them and they will turn me over to the sales department I need to install it before end of year to get my tax rebates. I will keep you posted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Charles Wright said:
I just called them and they will turn me over to the sales department I need to install it before end of year to get my tax rebates. I will keep you posted
So, if you have the charge system installed by December 31, you can take a tax credit even if you don't have any plug-in car?

I may have to make use of this... :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
Charles Wright said:
I just called them and they will turn me over to the sales department I need to install it before end of year to get my tax rebates. I will keep you posted
So, if you have the charge system installed by December 31, you can take a tax credit even if you don't have any plug-in car?

I may have to make use of this... :angel:
Yes you can, in my State ask blink about your state
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
How about the federal credit? Can you still get that even if you don't have the car?

My mistake is that I already bought the Fisker charger and it's sitting in my garage, but I haven't had it installed yet since I don't know if I'm canceling my Karma order or not yet. I guess if I don't install it by the end of the year I'm boned.

-Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brian said:
How about the federal credit? Can you still get that even if you don't have the car?

My mistake is that I already bought the Fisker charger and it's sitting in my garage, but I haven't had it installed yet since I don't know if I'm canceling my Karma order or not yet. I guess if I don't install it by the end of the year I'm boned.

-Brian
@Brian: My thinking is that I will be getting a plug-in car at some point, even if the Karma does not work out. So I will just be ready a bit ahead of schedule.

-- Fab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Heh, I thought about that too! My only reservation is that the Fisker charger is a pretty bare-bones charger, and if I do cancel my order and get another EV in a few years I'm sure the charging stations will have evolved and dropped in price substantially by then. Still, you have a point.

-Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Fabulist said:
brian said:
How about the federal credit? Can you still get that even if you don't have the car?

My mistake is that I already bought the Fisker charger and it's sitting in my garage, but I haven't had it installed yet since I don't know if I'm canceling my Karma order or not yet. I guess if I don't install it by the end of the year I'm boned.

-Brian
@Brian: My thinking is that I will be getting a plug-in car at some point, even if the Karma does not work out. So I will just be ready a bit ahead of schedule.

-- Fab.
Check with your accountant I do not want to give out bad info but my guess is yes
You know the Feds policy is you buy a home charger and get a rebate my GUESS is it has nothing to do the a car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charles Wright said:
Thanks for the feed back Could you update me when they install it? Does it use 20 Amps? Good luck on your car delivery. I don't even have a dealer yet.
@Charles: Yes. I will be posting updates on it. The unit can draw up to 30 Amps and it is fused at 40 Amps. Thank you.

-- Fab.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
230 Posts
Prices are already dropping. I read something about a commercial 440 volt quick charger made by Nissan priced at $9900.

BillyO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
BillyO said:
Prices are already dropping. I read something about a commercial 480 volt quick charger made by Nissan priced at $9900.

BillyO
That 440 volt is a level 3 charger Fisher will not accept it at this time.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top