Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new car on Saturday from Land Rover Salt Lake City. I had a pre purchase inspection with the former Fisker Tech from now closed Utah dealer. Tech was very knowledgeable, and assisted me with all my questions and concerns. Car has updated green dot motors, and all updates, recall work done. Battery modules were all balanced and had no error messages at the time he conducted the scan. The car does have the 'old original' exhaust- we will see how long that lasts.....

I drove the car back to Boise 360 miles and switched between stealth and sport mode. My initial driving impressions- This is a very special car, engineering is amazing, it exceeded my expectations. I do have a couple of questions regarding some of the 'unique' issues I have learned about the car:

1. During sharp turning the car seems to skip- is this normal or something that I need to address?

2. I cant figure out how to turn off the traction control? I plan to drive with this on for the most part, but assumed I could turn it off on occasion?

3. What is the best recommended tire pressure for optimal performance?

Optional equipment:

1. Scan tool- it appears that many owners have purchased a scan tool to provide feedback to the tech's. What scan tool do you recommend that is most complete?

2. 240v charger- please provide feedback on the best charger to install at home.

3. I have read a few threads of owners inquiring about installing Atlantic grills to replace the vertical Karma grills? Has this occurred and are these grills available? Is this the best option to hide the Styrofoam, or am I better off buying the carbon fiber covers?

Proud new owner #1467- Earth/Earth tri tone

Idaho1

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds like you got a great car.
1. it's normal especially in cold weather for the tires to skip in sharp turns as in turning in a parking lot.
3. use the tire pressures in the door sill, drivers side.
You can buy a scan tool at Auto Zone. I bought the cheapest one. I would wait to buy one until you have a CEL/MIL
I have a Schneider 240V charger I bought from Hope Depot.com and love it.
I think the carbon fiber covers are best bet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Idaho1 - congratulations!

I agree with your assessment from the drive home. When I bought my Karma last March, I drove it from LA to Phoenix and it was the best 8 hour drive of my life, and that includes the 3 hours stuck in rush hour traffic on a Friday afternoon leaving LA!

1) I assume on your tire question that you have the stock 22" rims with the Goodyear tires. If so, I've noticed the same thing as it's cooled down in Phoenix. The tires seem less grippy. There are quite a few threads on this topic so you should be able to find some good advice on winter rims and tires if you're inclined to go that route.

2) I recently tried turning off the traction control from the touch screen and was unable too (I tried this because another forum member was unable to turn his off either). I didn't do any research on this and didn't read the owners manual so not sure if there's a trick or this is one of the "250 bugs" in our Karmas.

3) On the stock 22" Goodyears, the tire placard on the drivers door says 40 lbs for the front tires and 36 lbs for the back tires.

On your optional items:

1) I bought this OBD reader. I wouldn't call it a scan tool. It talks to your phone with Bluetooth and can read basic codes and clear the Check Engine Light, if needed. Last time I checked it did not work on iPhones, though.

2) On the 240V charger, I am assuming I have the same charger as Sigurd. Here’s the info on the Schneider Electric 240V charger I bought in June 2014. It takes just over 5 hours to fully charge the Karma when the battery is empty. Your electrician shouldn’t charge too much to install.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-EV230WS-Generation/dp/B00CXXCVLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403051359&sr=8-1&keywords=Schneider+Electric

3) I also think the Atlantic grill would look better than the stock Karma grill. I'm not sure if you can buy an Atlantic grill since the car never went into production. If I was going to do anything with the stock grill, I've seen the black styrofoam wrapped in carbon fiber and it looks sharp.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
304 Posts
As for the charger - I got the cheapest Clipper Creek available per Harleyguy.

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-20-level-2/

As explained to me - the charger is in the car not the wall unit so no matter what you buy you are really buying an extension cord and unless you want timed starting or iphone control of charging just get this one. It's $395

Also at 15amps the car can't accept any higher amperage so it doesn't have an impact on the Fisker. I have had mine for 5 months and no issues.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
To turn off Traction control you hold the button on touch screen down for 3 seconds until icon comes on instrument panel indicating it is off.
Tire skipping is typical Goodyear side effect of a summer performance tire in the cold. Only way to get rid of it is ditch the Goodyears for Yokohamas. ..

·
Registered
122 Posts
1. During sharp turning the car seems to skip- is this normal or something that I need to address?
I agree with @FiskerPhilly, I wore my Goodyears out, and bought the Yokohama and significantly better ride/wear. They maybe hard to locate a set online, even when I tried to order through TireRack and some a wait. I just called TireRack and they located me a set and shipped the front and back tires from different locations.

Congrats on the purchase. I find I can't keep mine garaged much, just passed 21,000 miles...

Katie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts