Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During Covid, I'm only driving about twice a month. A few months ago I had to hit the "R" button a few times to get into reverse, and this week I couldn't get into reverse at all. It's as if something has slowly interfered with the contacts in the pyramid. Anyone have this issue, and any thoughts on what to do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Email me at [email protected] and I will attach some instructions that were given to me several years ago when I had a similar problem. Pretty simple and it worked. I am in Scottsdale and am an original owner

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The attached is a “relearn” procedure for the gear selector, but it is a software fix and my issue seems to be physical. Still, this info could be useful to someone out there at a later date.

If anyone has had a physical issue with the gear shifting pyramid, please reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOLVED: and in case others experience the problem, here's the fix (for posterity, and for myself if I ever need to do it again).

The problem wasn't software (as bobscanlon's solution above addressed). My problem was with the PRND switch itself. I got very lucky and found one on eBay by searching "Fisker PRND" and found one with part number C131180105001 (which may be too specific for those looking in the future).

Then came the disassembly and replacement. Page 90-5 of the shop manual (which someone posted a link to on 'Buzz and I downloaded to my iPad) describes how to replace the switch piece, but first you have to refer to page 82-11 to remove the center console to get at that piece, and that was not easy. The manual properly identifies 6 screw locations (under wood trim on front, under wood trim on rear, and one on each side, under an easily removable 'finisher' piece), but it kept as a total secret the fact that there are two more screws! Big ones! And they are found by lifting the center console storage bin (the thing where you'd keep a pen or napkins) and looking very carefully for 2 little felt discs that blend in perfectly with the rest of the felt! After I got those 2 bad boys out, the console lifted out easily (just pull back slightly, then I could flip over (in the direction of the drivers' seat), without disconnecting the start/stop button (which I couldn't figure out how to do).

At that point, I could follow the instructions on page 90-5 (though I question really I really needed to unscrew the 'rib panel' and the 'light strip connector' before doing the PRND switch itself - it SEEMS like you could just go for the PRND directly, but I do what I'm told).

Put it all back together in the reverse order, and thank god I can now shift into reverse again. My 16yo assistant got a nice souvenir out of it too, and the whole thing only cost me the $130 or so I paid for the part on eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts