Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,
For the last few years I have fancied the thought of owning a Karma, and now it's about to become a reality. I am aware of some of the recalls and potential problems with these cars. I have tried using the links supplied in the introduction thread to check the VIN myself to no success. Can someone from the forum please check a VIN and let me know if and when the recalls have been performed? In particular to the following:
Cooling fan
Batteries
Drive gear/splines
Here's the VIN YH4K14AA1CA001084
Thanks for all your help and I look forward to being a fellow member and friend of this community.
Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all! I'm scheduled to pick up the car before heading back home to the Bay Area. I'm hoping someone can assist me with the VIN check so I can have peace of mind before handing over $57,000.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hi all! I'm scheduled to pick up the car before heading back home to the Bay Area. I'm hoping someone can assist me with the VIN check so I can have peace of mind before handing over $57,000.
Thanks
One suggestion: Since Pat's garage is going to be the place that will service the car, maybe you could contact them and have them run the VIN or even do a post-purchase inspection.

The publicly accessible VIN lookup only tells you what recalls have been done on the car. A CSP could pull up more detailed information about the car's prior service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much!
Could you please provide me with a valid link to the Accesible VIN lookup to see which recalls have been taken care of?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thanks so much!
Could you please provide me with a valid link to the Accesible VIN lookup to see which recalls have been taken care of?
Thanks
I can't find any links that actually work. Sorry.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ryan,
The link, you are looking for, just shows, what Fisker Automotive did to the car.
Any fixes, the previous owners did out of their pockets, don't have to be listed.

Nothing beats the pre purchase checks, to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys, the vehicle I am looking with has 900 miles is still considered new since it has never been titled. So how would I see what's been done? The sale comes with the original MCO (no title)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viewed the car this morning and have yet to pull the trigger. With only 900 Miles, the check engine light was illuminated on the dash and dealer has no reason as to why. The climate control air only seems to blow out the top potion of the dash regardless of the air direction I choose. They do not have the original floor mats. Not sure about a spare key and or owner's manuals. The vehicle was originally from Palo Alto Volvo/Fisker where it has never been registered or titled. It was recently sold at a dealer auction and now it's sitting on a high-line used car lot in LA. Oh, and the dealer wants 52K for it. The body is clean, however the lower portion of the front bumper has scraps, the front Fisker bumper emblem is faded and the headlights clear coat is peeling. Apparently this new car has been sitting outside for most of its life. What's your take.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Viewed the car this morning and have yet to pull the trigger. With only 900 Miles, the check engine light was illuminated on the dash and dealer has no reason as to why. The climate control air only seems to blow out the top potion of the dash regardless of the air direction I choose. They do not have the original floor mats. Not sure about a spare key and or owner's manuals. The vehicle was originally from Palo Alto Volvo/Fisker where it has never been registered or titled. It was recently sold at a dealer auction and now it's sitting on a high-line used car lot in LA. Oh, and the dealer wants 52K for it. The body is clean, however the lower portion of the front bumper has scraps, the front Fisker bumper emblem is faded and the headlights clear coat is peeling. Apparently this new car has been sitting outside for most of its life. What's your take.
where is the car? There is so much that can go wrong, i call a reputable person from this site to get some suggestion -- fiskerphilly northeast, harleyguy in the south and alex pop or smoothoperator in the west

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to be able to get in contact with Alex Pop, which I'm assuming is the owner of Elite Motors. I can't seem to find him while searching usernames. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
I would love to be able to get in contact with Alex Pop, which I'm assuming is the owner of Elite Motors. I can't seem to find him while searching usernames. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
contact fiskerphilly, he should be able to get you his number

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ryan, that car likely has had nothing done to it. I can likely guarantee the hv battery (check engine light)is original and likely has one or more bad modules especially if it's been sitting that long. For sure the traction motors are soft spline and RDM reworks not done, let alone the exhaust, and quite possibly the HVAC unit if it's stuck on defrost. Untitled MSO cars with no miles aren't always the best, especially with no warranty. I have cars not far from that price with 2 year warranties and all those upgrades done. Not trying to steer you one direction or another but from what you described you could be looking at $10k-20k before you know it.
I will look up the history on the VIN and PM you.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much FiskerPhilly. I did want to point out that a recall campaign was completed and a sticker for it was placed on the inside of the passenger strut tower.
I did take a picture of it and it's numbers but do not know what it entails.
The dealership also mentioned to me that the vehicle should be covered under Fiskers warranty (possibly the new company) and the warranty date would start on the date of sale. This is all due to it still being considered a "new car". Not sure if that is true or not.
On another note, tomorrow I finally receive my occupational retail dealers license. I will immediately register with AuctionAccess along with Mannheim. With these credentials I will be able to trace the VIN to the dealer auction and see what the dealer actually paid for it. Regardless, I am still wanting to own a Fisker for personal use, but if they are rolling through the dealer's auctions at minus-40K (which I suspect), then I might want to hold off of course, unless this dealer is wanting to wholesale this one to me... and only after it checks out. I look forward to your VIN research and PM. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks so much FiskerPhilly. I did want to point out that a recall campaign was completed and a sticker for it was placed on the inside of the passenger strut tower.
I did take a picture of it and it's numbers but do not know what it entails.
The dealership also mentioned to me that the vehicle should be covered under Fiskers warranty (possibly the new company) and the warranty date would start on the date of sale. This is all due to it still being considered a "new car". Not sure if that is true or not.
On another note, tomorrow I finally receive my occupational retail dealers license. I will immediately register with AuctionAccess along with Mannheim. With these credentials I will be able to trace the VIN to the dealer auction and see what the dealer actually paid for it. Regardless, I am still wanting to own a Fisker for personal use, but if they are rolling through the dealer's auctions at minus-40K (which I suspect), then I might want to hold off of course, unless this dealer is wanting to wholesale this one to me... and only after it checks out. I look forward to your VIN research and PM. Thanks for all your help.
The statement they made about the warranty is COMPLETELY false. There are no new car warranties on these cars period. The CSP program has ended also. The only warranty available is Certified Preowned available only through a Karma retailer at this point. One thing for certain that car has no warranty.
I will send you info later tonighr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FiskerPhilly-
The vehicle is currently in Alex Pop's possession to properly diagnose the check engine light and hopefully inspect the faulty HVAC system. This diagnostic was initiated by the dealership, not me, but I will still try to talk to Alex and see what his thoughts are on the vehicle sometime tomorrow.
Last thing I want it is to end up with a car that is bricked! I'm not afraid to learn all about the hybrid system and the mechanics as I would like to work on the car myself. I've done all my maintenance on my 360 Spider including timing belts, as well as entire clutch components and have recalibrated pist settings using my SnapOn Modis. I was an MB tech for 6 years so I do feel confident both working on and learning about the vehicle myself, but I still don't want to throw money at parts and such right out the gate. I'd like to hopefully enjoy the car for some time first.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
One down fall your looking at is you won't be able to run any full diagnosis on the car since after market never made a scan tool that can fully read all of the Karma's systems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts