Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cloud Based App Developer
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought last week a new Fisker Karma. I will really appreciate if someone can help me out on the following questions...

1 - Can I start the car while it's still charging ? I did this and the check engine light turned on. I did couple hard reboot and the check engine light was gone.

2- Should I leave the charge plugin even though the car is fully charged ? Does it still suck electricity when it's fully charged ? Well, I left the charger plugged in for 48 hours and this morning when I started the car, backed it up, the check engine light turned on again. Anything wrong I am doing ? What can I do to get rid of this check engine light for good ?

3- Anyone has any recommendation where to get an additional key for the car ?

4- How can I tell if my car has one of the bad batteries ? I heard there 123systems has replaced batteries in most of the car but is there a way I can tell it was changed in mine too ? Dealer does not have any information on the recalls on my car.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I just bought last week a new Fisker Karma. I will really appreciate if someone can help me out on the following questions...

1 - Can I start the car while it's still charging ? I did this and the check engine light turned on. I did couple hard reboot and the check engine light was gone.

2- Should I leave the charge plugin even though the car is fully charged ? Does it still suck electricity when it's fully charged ? Well, I left the charger plugged in for 48 hours and this morning when I started the car, backed it up, the check engine light turned on again. Anything wrong I am doing ? What can I do to get rid of this check engine light for good ?

3- Anyone has any recommendation where to get an additional key for the car ?
First off welcome to the Forum
You shouldn't start the car while it's charging just curious why did you want to start it while charging .

After the car is fully charged no reason to leave the charger in it won't hurt anything but it's advised after the car is fully charged unplug the car .

The key can be bought the problem is you need to get it programmed by a Fisker Dealer or someone who has the Fisker lap top and is capable of programming a key .

As far as the check engine light to codes need to be read and diagnosis from there .It's not a good idea to constantly do a hard reset the reason the check engine light keeps coming on is because there is a problem .

Where are you located

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I am in Phoenix AZ. I started the car to see how much it's charged. I could not see the charge without pushing the start button. How do I know how much it's charged without starting the car ?

Where can I buy the key ? And I don't think Phoenix AZ has any Fisker dealership here.. Anything you can help with ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I am a new owner as well and the members here have been a great resource.

There may be a number of ways to check and I am sure others on the forum will advise you. My way to check is to unlock the door and wait for the dash to illuminate. Once illuminated you can view the charge meter.

The owners on the forum are a great wealth of information. However, I would recommend reviewing the owners manual as well. Between the owners and owners manual you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - I went to autozone and they hooked up diagnostic tool to see why the engine light is on. It turned out to be this code P0A7B Battery Energy Control Module Request MIL Illumination. Not sure what does it mean. Can someone help with this ?

·
Registered
859 Posts
4- How can I tell if my car has one of the bad batteries ? I heard there 123systems has replaced batteries in most of the car but is there a way I can tell it was changed in mine too ? Dealer does not have any information on the recalls on my car.
It is my understanding that all Karmas were manufactured with A123 batteries from the Livonia, Mi plant. A $55M recall by A123 started in March 2012, but subsequently only a few hundred of the fleet had bad batteries replaced. Check the battery's S/N. One of the other board members should be able to look it up if the dealer can't or won't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts