Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I had a park system fault and had to be towed home. I have not had any major issues with the car. I hope my RDM has not failed as I did not hear any strange noises. The car was put to sleep and we disconnected the black cable on the passenger side but it would not budge. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
If the car is stuck in park it doesn't always mean you have a failing RDM I've had cars do that after the 12 volt battery has failed. In order to get it out of park I release the parking pawl by applying 12 volts to the parking pawl motor wiring at the HCU comes comes out of park recycle the parking pawl and it's good to go

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lormax came by today and re-flashed the hybrid controller and all seems well. My car was recently updated to the new software and that seemed to have cause issue. Back on old software thanks to Lormax.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Okay, @Nikon, before those of us (like myself) who are about to get BL530 break out in a cold sweat, we need to know if your 12V battery might have been responsible - as @Harleyguy suggested.

I've posted this before: most of the original batteries were manufactured in the fall of 2011. They are near or at the end of their life. They should be replaced sooner rather than later.

Before anyone can blame the new software for the parking pawl issue, we need to see a pattern develop over time. There are others variables - like the condition of the battery, RDM, etc. - that may be factors.

So did Travis do anything else (like charge the 12V battery) before he re-flashed the HCU?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car was in valet line when it refused to go out of Park. Valet staff tried to let car sleep and then disconnected the black battery cable. No result. The 12v battery was replaced by OC Autocare of Aliso Viejo in October. 12V was fine, he first tried a hard reset then decided to re-program hybrid controller- this fixed the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Car was in valet line when it refused to go out of Park. Valet staff tried to let car sleep and then disconnected the black battery cable. No result. The 12v battery was replaced by OC Autocare of Aliso Viejo in October. 12V was fine, he first tried a hard reset then decided to re-program hybrid controller- this fixed the issue.
It didn't fix the problem it basically reset the the HCU . He doesn't have 530 so he reflashed back to 520 you might have a hidden problem in your RDM that 530 picked up that 520 couldn't pickup.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Valet staff tried to let car sleep and then disconnected the black battery cable. No result.

I'm impressed about the valet staff!!!

Even the ADAC (AAA in Germany) refused to try this, after my Karma wouldn't go in D.
It happened on a highway service place and he parked nearby, so I asked him for help.
I had to do this by myself :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
In order to get it out of park I release the parking pawl by applying 12 volts to the parking pawl motor wiring at the HCU comes comes out of park recycle the parking pawl and it's good to go
I'm having a similar problem and am wondering if you could provide information on how to perform this procedure? Last Fall I installed a battery tender to the positive terminal in the fuse box. The nut worked its way loose and caused total power shutdown while driving. Not good. At any rate, now the car is stuck in neutral. I can switch to drive, reverse and neutral, but not park. I'm hoping that if I can toggle the parking pawl back to Park, things will reset themselves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stuck in park

When I first had car if shut it off in drive or reverse would not shift into gear unless pushed park before shutting it down. than it was fine. Every so often still forget to put it in neutral or park before shutting off and have red message. and have to start car be sure in park shut it off and once restart all works properly.
Mine may be a different issue. but appears car must be in park or neutral prior to shut down or will not go into gear when restarted unless shut it down in neutral or park and than restart the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thought I'd update everyone on the outcome. Seems that when the car lost power, it tried to put itself into 'Park'. May have had intermittent power since the connection was loose and not completely off. Anyway, at some point while the car was still moving, it tried to move the park pin and it sheered off. Park pawl motor seemed to still operate, but without the pin, it wasn't going to work.

Thanks Brinton and Joe for fixing it up!

Moral of the story... Make sure electrical connections are tight. To do it over, I would wire the connection using a new nut on top of the factory one to ensure the added wire ring wouldn't loosen things up. But with 535 software, I shouldn't need the battery tender anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
You need to get the 12 volt system charged back up or replace the 12 volt battery which I would do . After the car is charged back up if you still are unable to get into drive do a hard reset and see what happens. You can't do a hard reset unless you have a fully charged 12 volt system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car is stuck in nutral and will not move, I get a "park system fault".. On a post on the BUZZ, I read,
"to release the parking pawl by applying 12 volts to the parking pawl motor wiring "
I need to know how to do this, where are these parts RDM, HCU and parking pawl motor connection ?
I also may have a weak battery and I can't get to it because the car is in a small garage with no
room to take the tire off. hope someone can help, I'm dead in the water..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not the expert here, I'm sure @Harleyguy or @FiskerPhilly will chime in, but I had the same problem. Turned out to be the parking pawl motor in the RDM. I was told that the motor is a common failure item and when it starts to fail it gets weak and cannot withdraw the parking pin. From the photos I was sent, it looked like there was some internal wear on the actuator lever also. I was always able to get it going again after several hard resets and lots of patience, but the final fix was the replacement. Haven't had a problem since..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pat's garage in San Fran did the work. They replaced the whole RDM unit (expensive) but I think they're working on a solution to replace just the motor. You could ask Pat for details. I'm sure he sent me a photo of the worn pawl but I can't seem to find it. It looked like the pawl had not withdrawn properly and the photo showed the scrape marks on the actuator lever. I remember that as the problem worsened, and when the pawl had not withdrawn fully - when I pulled away or moved the car there was a loud clicking sound, the type you'd expect if something were not properly engaged. I guess this is when the actuator lever got scratched. Please forgive me if I'm not using the right terminology for these parts.

As a side note, I think you can get access to the battery without removing the wheel. Just turn the wheel the right and remove the screw or clip that holds the fender liner in place at the back of the wheel arch. You should be able to see the battery inside. I've never had to remove my battery but maybe someone with more experience can help. I can't remember if the battery terminals are accessible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Park System Fault issue. Sorry if this has been answered but I can't seem to figure out exactly what I need to do here. I get this 2 or 3 times per day, and sometimes every 2 or 3 days. Very random. It also has done it just putting the car in neutral. Shutting it off and waiting for all lights to go out sometimes fixes it, but I just pull the power under hood as it only takes a few seconds then. Been going on about 6 months now and my 12 volt is fairly new. My car has about 40k miles on it. Not sure what baseline I'm on, but I know I don't have to wait anymore for the car to shut off completely anymore before charging it. Any help would be great. I'm in St Petersburg

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Park System Fault issue. Sorry if this has been answered but I can't seem to figure out exactly what I need to do here. I get this 2 or 3 times per day, and sometimes every 2 or 3 days. Very random. It also has done it just putting the car in neutral. Shutting it off and waiting for all lights to go out sometimes fixes it, but I just pull the power under hood as it only takes a few seconds then. Been going on about 6 months now and my 12 volt is fairly new. My car has about 40k miles on it. Not sure what baseline I'm on, but I know I don't have to wait anymore for the car to shut off completely anymore before charging it. Any help would be great. I'm in St Petersburg
When did the problem start occurring? Has the car been to the dealer lately and did the dealer update the software to 535 . If it hasn’t been to the dealer it’s very possible your RDM is on its way out . If the HCU software has been updated to 530 you should have it set back to. 520

1 - 20 of 35 Posts