Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a difficult time finding someone to paint my bumper that uses DuPont paint. I have a Silver Wind Karma. From all I've read here on the Buzz, you have to use a three stage paint process and only use DuPont. I've been to two body shops - one uses Sherwin Williams automotive paint and their comment was "color is color" so it should match. The other uses Sikkens and he was very hesitant to say that he could match it. The dealer where I bought my Karma said they use PPG paint and that they could match it. I really don't have much confident in any of these guys. My biggest concern is getting the glass or sparkle finish to match the existing silver paint. Has anyone had good success getting a match to the Silver Wind S2 color and if so, what did you use to get the match. BTW, DuPont automotive is now apparently Axalta Coating Systems. I assume I can still get the paint from them if I find a body shop that used DuPont in the past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The "color is color " statement is correct. The paint brand is irrelivent when re painting a karma, it's all mixed by code.

The clearcoat is the issue.

If you buy the clear from DuPont, the glass is already premixed into the clear.

If you go to a body shop that uses ppg, sher will, or akzo-sikkens (what our shop uses), then you must mix the glass bead in the clear yourself. The glass bead is made by SEM and is called "white lightening"

There is no formula for this, and is very much a try various test cards until you get the desired effect type of situation.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. They will have a bit of a hard time getting it to look just right, but once it looks correct on a test card, they'll spray the bumper and you'll be good as new.

You're lucky it isn't the side of the car that's damaged. Blending would be a nightmare with the diamond dust clear, not to mention that silver is the hardest color to match.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlbertaFisker - Great info. You've explained it much better than any of the body shop guys. I found a body shop that uses DuPont (Axalta) and he had actually painted a white Karma with the "diamond dust or white lightning". He plans to spot paint the damage (couple of minor scratches) and feather the color back into the rest of the bumper, then clear coat the entire bumper. I assume that is a good plan or should he paint the entire bumper? Good to know that DuPont clear coat already has the glass mixed in it. I'll visit with him again before he does the job and give him the information you gave me. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Use only the DuPont paint I will leave it at that and paint isn't paint when it comes to this paint . Sure plenty of paint out there I agree but why take a chance we have a body shop .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts