Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Intermittently (still trying to work out under what circumstances it happens), I get the CEL coming on and when I hook up my OBDII reader, I get P0A7B and a secondary (manufacturer) code of P1BDE. Anyone know what this latter code is (the first is the BECM commanding a MIL)?

I will be heading to Pat's Garage (spoke to Pay himself - friendly gentleman) to check a few things out and this will be on the list, but I would like to know in advance where the error seems to be.

The car drives perfectly and I have no issues with sudden battery depletion etc.

I erased the codes and will head to Pat when they come back again (I am sure they will :))

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Don't erase the codes Pat needs all the codes that are set . He needs to hook the car up to Prodis in order to read out the codes . If you notice when the battery gets down to 10 miles or so it drops off the mileage really fast it's going to be a module problem .
Usually when you charge the battery the CEL goes out but comes back on when the battery gets down to the lower mileage .

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here we are 1.5 months later and I have noticed a new interesting behavior which could possibly have something to do with the 520 update but could be a battery module issue as suggested by Harleyguy (or could be lots of other things I expect)...

The existing issue was that if I drive the car to battery exhaustion, all is fine, the final miles do not go down quickly and when I get to zero, the ICE starts and all is good. If I stop and start the car, all is also fine. When I charge the car after exhausting the battery, I get the CEL, which usually goes away after a couple of charges. The old P0A7B issue.

The new behavior (which is why I'm wondering if 520 is causing this), is that I was on a freeway at 9 miles of battery range and entered Sport mode to conserve my 9 miles until I was back in town. Right away the 9 miles went to zero. No CEL at this point. Interestingly I had a long coast at the end of my freeway drive and the battery range went up to 1 mile for a bit. When I got home, I charged the battery up again and got the usual CEL as per 'normal'.

So my questions are these:

1. I have not looked at the OBC codes but is this scenario a known behavior?
2. If the problem is in fact a battery module issue, can it be fixed? Assuming Fisker/Wanxiang/eLux won't fix it, is it an expensive fix?
3. Is the fact that the battery charge went back up to 1 mile at one point, merely an indication that some other battery module was charged?
4. Are battery modules depleted in a particular order, which is why several folks have this rapid depletion to zero problem once they are under 10 miles? Otherwise we'd see scenarios like good from 50-40, a sudden drop to 30 and then okay down to zero, for example. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Without going into another long module Q&A yes the battery can be repaired as far as cost it all depends on how many modules are testing bad. As far as depleted in any order no they aren't they all are suppose to deplete as one.
That's why on of the reason you get the CEL on module is depleting faster then the others causing the battery to go out of balance.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Harleyguy - I'll provide an update later this year when I take the car back to Pat's Garage in SF to get this checked out and apply the 530 update (hopefully).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts