Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with Harleyguy. I went through 4 of them. I've install 240v in two homes and carry my portable 240v charger between homes.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I wasn't going to post anything in his for-sale thread, but since I'm not the first, I agree with Harleyguy. Stay away from the Fisker branded chargers (Lear built). At least one of my clients has had their 110V charger fail to the point that it melted and burned the in-wall outlet.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Maybe it'll be a collectible in the future. Especially if it's in working condition. Not many of them in that condition now and it was the first one with the Fisker logo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks a lot guys. Personally never had a problem with this charger for the year I had the car. Works fine. Maybe I will store it as a working collector's item since it is a Fisker branded product. FYI....with the exception of a few minor items, the car also worked great for the year and 7200 miles I had it. Would had never sold it if the current situation had not developed.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
What is a "portable 240V charger"? and what socket does it need? Nema 14-50?
I would think one that has a dryer type plug on it not sure i would really call it portable . What do you do go to a friends house and ask them where the dryer is you want to plug in your car . :dodgy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would think one that has a dryer type plug on it not sure i would really call it portable . What do you do go to a friends house and ask them where the dryer is you want to plug in your car . :dodgy:
My house was prepped for Tesla in three garages wit "dryer" nema 14-50 sockets. Is the a cable that could use them to charge Karma? I have them for my Teslas, but since we are now looking for Karma, was wondering if it is available...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hmmm.. there should be 230 Volt charge connectors for the Karma in Europe. If you can get your hands on one of those, it's should be easy enough to adapt the wall plug to NEMA 14-50. Alternatively, there are those that have converted the Model S UMC to have a J1772 connector so it can be used with most cars. They then just use the included J1772 adapter to charge the model S.

However, the Karma is limited to 3.3kW anyhow. Assuming you're charging over night, in practice I'm not sure you'll gain much over just using the included 120V charge connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, doug. I still have Blink charger that I got from Ecotolity (sp?) as part of the project for the Leaf and we are keeping it. 240 V 30 Amps J1772. The only issue is its location: by the front passenger door with only 18ft cable... My wife will not like backing in the garage...

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Thanks, doug. I still have Blink charger that I got from Ecotolity (sp?) as part of the project for the Leaf and we are keeping it. 240 V 30 Amps J1772. The only issue is its location: by the front passenger door with only 18ft cable... My wife will not like backing in the garage...
You can buy J1772 "extension cords" now. Some forum members have had them custom made, but you can now also find them premade for sale. It'll allow you to add 15 or 20 feet to your garage charger, and some people carry them in their car to give more options for public chargers.

One example:
http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html

Brent

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Hmmm.. there should be 230 Volt charge connectors for the Karma in Europe. If you can get your hands on one of those, it's should be easy enough to adapt the wall plug to NEMA 14-50. Alternatively, there are those that have converted the Model S UMC to have a J1772 connector so it can be used with most cars. They then just use the included J1772 adapter to charge the model S.

However, the Karma is limited to 3.3kW anyhow. Assuming you're charging over night, in practice I'm not sure you'll gain much over just using the included 120V charge connector.
On 220 during charging the OBCM charges at 6.5 amps .One of the reason the car takes half the time on 220 verses 110 .

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
You can buy J1772 "extension cords" now. Some forum members have had them custom made, but you can now also find them premade for sale. It'll allow you to add 15 or 20 feet to your garage charger, and some people carry them in their car to give more options for public chargers.

One example:
http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html
I have had one of these for a long time now and it is an absolute life saver, particularly when using public chargers that are configured for cars like the Leaf with the charging port in the front. I use it pretty much every day at work, and have had zero problems with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts