Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....I have always loved the look and technology stuffed into these beautiful cars and have came across one that I am interested in buying.

That being said, I am concerned about the reliability of the car and living on Long Island, I do not see anyone that can service it for me.

The car has 19k miles on it and will be driven daily. Does anyone know if there is someone local to me to service it? I believe Cherry Hill Fisker is the only one around but that is not to local.

Thoughts?

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hello All....I have always loved the look and technology stuffed into these beautiful cars and have came across one that I am interested in buying.

That being said, I am concerned about the reliability of the car and living on Long Island, I do not see anyone that can service it for me.

The car has 19k miles on it and will be driven daily. Does anyone know if there is someone local to me to service it? I believe Cherry Hill Fisker is the only one around but that is not to local.

Thoughts?

Mark
@mranieri,

The official Karma Automotive web site shows all the current Service Providers and in your part of the US, Joe Ferrante (Fisker of Cherry Hill) is the only one.

You may have already done this, but in case you have not, take a few minutes and read through this thread for useful general information about what to look for when shopping for a Karma.

Buying a Karma in the wild is a bit of a crap shoot because you can never be sure if the car has been checked for any of the known issues (e.g., recalls, soft splines, RDM, weak cells, etc.). At a minimum, you should consider having Joe inspect the car you want to buy before committing to it.

The other and safer option is to buy a certified used car directly from Joe. These cars have been fully inspected and have all the known issues addressed and carry a 2-year powertrain warranty. Obviously, they cost more than buying one from a private party but you are sure that you are not buying someone else's hassles.

Would love to see you join the community here, but be very careful as the pitfalls are many and none of them are cheap to get out of.

·
Registered
888 Posts

Thoughts?

Mark

Hi Mark,
welcome to the forum.
I guess, that you just have to deal, which what's available.

If you need it as daily driver, there might be a risk. If you own other cars and can leave the Karma at a CSP and on the flatbed, trust do it.

From my personal experience, Fisker of Cherry Hill isn't that far away from anywhere ;-)

·
Registered
334 Posts
@mranieri - you are lucky to have have Joe Ferrante (aka @FiskerPhilly) from Fisker Cherry Hill in the general area. He and Adam Potter (aka @Harleyguy) are the most experienced Fisker mechanics in the world.

I echo @Fabulist - have the Fisker you're looking at inspected by Joe first. Or look at buying a certified Fisker from Joe with a 2-year warranty. You'll pay a little more than "one from the wild", but I think it's a no brainer if you're planning to use the Karma as a daily driver. If you find one that's really cheap, be careful as there's probably a reason.

Good luck, and take your time to make sure you find the right one. This car is so beautiful, it's easy to get emotional and fall in love with everyone you consider buying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Mark,
I just bought my Karma 9 days ago. It was looked at by Fisker in Tampa and there was a wiring harness and ECM fault (and a typical battery fault). Also the nav didn't work. The Fisker folks indicated that with the install of those parts and a software upgrade (my car is on 510) it should be fine.
I was able to negotiate the cost of that repair (2K) to be paid for by the dealer I bought the car from. Doesn't mean there aren't other issues to come but I believe the price I paid was fair and affords me a little leeway for further issues.
I can't agree more with the other posters to take your time and get it checked out. Although these cars are rare I don't believe they sell fast either. Insurance issues and the fact that you can't finance them precludes a lot of buyers.
Thats my 2 cents.
Randy...

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Hi Mark,
I just bought my Karma 9 days ago. It was looked at by Fisker in Tampa and there was a wiring harness and ECM fault (and a typical battery fault). Also the nav didn't work. The Fisker folks indicated that with the install of those parts and a software upgrade (my car is on 510) it should be fine.
I was able to negotiate the cost of that repair (2K) to be paid for by the dealer I bought the car from. Doesn't mean there aren't other issues to come but I believe the price I paid was fair and affords me a little leeway for further issues.
I can't agree more with the other posters to take your time and get it checked out. Although these cars are rare I don't believe they sell fast either. Insurance issues and the fact that you can't finance them precludes a lot of buyers.
Thats my 2 cents.
Randy...
Does the Nav screen light up at all if it does light up the cable they are referring to is the coax cable from the CIU to the Antenna in the trunk. That cable wasn't available from Fisker .
If thats the case there is a work around so the Nav will work

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm travelling at the moment so can't verify but when I tried it just said "nav initializing" or something like that. It never looked like a nav screen nor has the compass ever worked... Perhaps it just takes a long time? I have only driven the car about 100 miles so still trying to understand its nuances :) I'll try again Thursday and let you know. Thanks for the reply. If its just a coax a work around is a great option! Oh, and the dealer told me that there is no ETA on the harness and apparently they have to make one by hand?? They say I need harness part number C131110102004 - sound familiar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All....thank you for all the great advice. Its easy to get caught up and leap before looking...you have all brought me back to reality.

Being very mechanically inclined, I have always been able to repair anything that may have come up with my past purchases...this has made me a little less cautious. The Karma is obviously engineered a little different and I am concerned about being able to deal with any problems that may arise.

That being said, I have decided to pass on this opportunity and try to purchase one from an Fisker Dealer.

Thanks again...hope to see you all on the road soon!!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts

That being said, I have decided to pass on this opportunity and try to purchase one from an Fisker Dealer.

Thanks again...hope to see you all on the road soon!!
I hope we did not completely scare you off from buying a Karma. Please feel free to check in with us if you have any other questions. The members here are a great resource for vey specific and practical information and are very generous with their time and counsel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts