Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, question on changing the oil in the ICE, my local dealer is no longer a Fisker dealer, when I asked if they would at least change the oil for me if I paid for that service, they said no. Really, really bad move on their part as I buy a lot of cars and will NEVER buy another make from them. Anyway, how hard is it to change the oil? I really don't want to take the car to just any Quick Lube place, you know the types in there, but may have to; I know when I pull up they're gonna say they've never seen a car like that and will have no clue about the ICE oil filter, yada, yada...that's a what, a Fister? I can hear it now. The next closest dealer is a 200 mile round trip, they are more than happy to do it, but that's a **** of a drive for an oil change. I took delivery of the car in Feb 2012, I almost never run the ICE, but know leaving oil in there over 12 months is never a good idea......any suggestions?? Thanks!

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
it's a GM engine , so the jiffy lube will find the oil plug and filter, no? LORMAX, HARLY GUY should eb able to confirm ? BTW, when is it suggested to change the oil, so many miles or time -- my car had less then 3K and i hardly use the engine

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A GM dealer should be able to do it as well. It's the same filter as the Solstice turbo. In theory Jiffy Lube could do it as well, nothing was relocated.

The interval is 5000 miles/6 months

·
Registered
261 Posts
What if that 5000 miles/ 6months is 90% stealth. Still the same time intervals, or can we stretch it to greater mileage/time.?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Even if you don't use the engine that much you should change it based on time also . One thing that also since the engine stops and starts more offen that also will affect the oils life. Yes you can use a local service center to do the LOF not a big deal . Just remember and this doesn't pertain just for Fiskers when you ask for a oil change / oil filer that's all you get I don't care what they tell you that's it . I know some of the fast lube places charge to top up the fluids other the water for the washers . Thier is a big difference between an actual service compared to a LOF when I do a service i look the whole car over all fluids are filled with proper fluids not water actual washer solvent I even hook the car up and check for codes into though the whole car tighten the suspension road test the car the list is long . That's the deference between paying $50.00 versus $ 350.00

·
Registered
859 Posts
Fisker SV agrees it should be every 5K, which for a lot of us is 1x per year. I would also do all an annual inspection per Harleyguy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback, when i asked the the dealer i bought the car from (new) to change it, his reply was "it takes a special tool to change it & they no longer have the tool"....i'm somewhat mechanically inclined & figured that was BS, this is a GM 4 cyl ICE we're talking about...he even had the stones to tell me if i could find/buy the tool & bring it in, they would change it, but would not forego the expense of the tool "for 1 oil change"....what a prick, i imagine this special tool was none other than a $5 oil filter wrench since they dont sell GM vehicles....all of his BS did throw me off though & i wasnt 100% sure he was full of it, but that has now been confirmed....really, really bad way to treat a good customer.....dont EVER buy a vehicle from Barrett Motors is San Antonio (ferrari, maserati, jaguar dealer)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Fisker SV agrees it should be every 5K, which for a lot of us is 1x per year. I would also do all an annual inspection per Harleyguy.
Do you know if they still offer this service and what's the estimated charge for it?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, when i asked the the dealer i bought the car from (new) to change it, his reply was "it takes a special tool to change it & they no longer have the tool"....i'm somewhat mechanically inclined & figured that was BS, this is a GM 4 cyl ICE we're talking about...he even had the stones to tell me if i could find/buy the tool & bring it in, they would change it, but would not forego the expense of the tool "for 1 oil change"....what a prick, i imagine this special tool was none other than a $5 oil filter wrench since they dont sell GM vehicles....all of his BS did throw me off though & i wasnt 100% sure he was full of it, but that has now been confirmed....really, really bad way to treat a good customer.....dont EVER buy a vehicle from Barrett Motors is San Antonio (ferrari, maserati, jaguar dealer)
Fisker sent us a tool to remove the oil filter cap is was junk I went to Auto Zone and bought the same one GM used it cost less $20.00 it's a 32mm socket for oil filters not a normal socket used for nuts and bolts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Do you know if they still offer this service and what's the estimated charge for it?
Yes they still offer this service, which should include an hour's worth of inspection, fluid checks, safety checks and a road test. I don't know what an oil change by itself would cost. None of this would be covered by the warranty anyway, since it's routine maintenance.

Mike, the Fisker Mechanic, said they use synthetic oil, which should be good for a year, or when looks like it's starting to break down. Contact Daryl or Mike for more info.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Fisker sent us a tool to remove the oil filter cap is was junk I went to Auto Zone and bought the same one GM used it cost less $20.00 it's a 32mm socket for oil filters not a normal socket used for nuts and bolts
LOL. I am a former Saab owner and I gave the car to my son. He is trading it in and since I bought my Fisker I was wondering what am I going to do with this 32MM socket I had to buy to change the oil in the Saab. Well now I know! It can used in my Fisker, to funny.

I was wondering what tools I would need.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Any cable that's orange is high voltage open the hood you will see a few high voltage cables . The AC compressor / the APM/ the water heater all work off the HV system

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I've changed my oil for a few years, although the CSP here would do so. It was a matter of convenience to me not to drive and hour and wait. In this case I use my 2 ton floor jacks and place the car on 2 extra wide ramps (jack and place the ramps under the tires then lower). Then I feel save under the Karma. It give me an opportunity to inspect the underside of the ICE area. But yes STAY away from the Orange wires.

Not for everyone, but I have changed my own oil for years. Now I have a Tesla and Fisker, so it will be seldom from now on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@PowerSource - so lazy question on my part as I could Google it, but does the compressor just pump the oil out of the cap where you pour the replacement oil? Also, is the oil filter easy to reach from the top? If it's that easy, I'll learn to do it because my recollection is the oil change is $200+ on the Karma.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
@PowerSource - so lazy question on my part as I could Google it, but does the compressor just pump the oil out of the cap where you pour the replacement oil? Also, is the oil filter easy to reach from the top? If it's that easy, I'll learn to do it because my recollection is the oil change is $200+ on the Karma.

Harbor Freight sells an evacuator for like 70 bucks I think, which works pretty well. I have a snap on version that I use for the brakes and a lot of other fluids within the vehicle. You may have to remove the main cross bar to access the filter housing cap. I rotate mine so I that is not necessary.

Basically insert the silicon tube into the dipstick tube, wait for the oil to evacuate, replace oil filter, replace oil and go on your way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts