Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only use the ICE (SPORT) a few times a month. I haven't replaced gas in my Karma since February averaging over 110MPH for the last 2500 miles. I decided to drive last weekend on ICE, to "blow out the engine" activate the oil and cooling systems as well as use the gas. I noticed a distinct "ozone" like odor when I parked in the garage. Opened the engine compartment and noted nothing unusual. It seemed to be more present from under the car. It is not a normal engine smell (oil, etc), so I am thinking possibly either coupler or exhaust. We all seem to think the worst possible scenario.

Anyone experiencing either early muffler (old style) or coupler issues notice an odor prior to full failure. I can take to the CSP here but wanted collective experience from those on the forum

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I never had s coupler smell before it let loose. If I had to guess something on the muffler was burning off anything from something you ran over or even a plastic bag getting stuck to it while you were driving around very common

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harley. I checked the bottom of the car. The Muffler is still shinny. I will take a closer look under the car tomorrow. Check the muffler for cracks or see if there is a discoloration or anything unusual at the rear of the ICE. The odor is very strong and smells electrical.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Thanks Harley. I checked the bottom of the car. The Muffler is still shinny. I will take a closer look under the car tomorrow. Check the muffler for cracks or see if there is a discoloration or anything unusual at the rear of the ICE. The odor is very strong and smells electrical.
I occasionally get a whiff of Ethylene Glycol, from heated windshield washing fluid I am guessing, but never an Ozone or electrical smell. Maybe if you could cause the ICE to run with the car stopped and look around under the hood, you may get a more precise fix on the source.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Fab and Harley, I put the car on my Auto Ramps (via Jacks) and took a long look at everything under the car. I removed the cover at the rear of the ICE that exposes the rear of the generator and the battery cooling hoses. No leaks. Nothing indicating wear, or any residues. The muffler was completely in tact, with no breaks in the welds. I felt the back and front of the generator (not running), no residue or powders indicating wear either.

I force started the ICE while on the ramps, went back under to check both the engine compartment and muffler systems as well a engine on top. Nada, zilch, no leaks, nothing. The closest was the odor off the muffler--as close as I dared get my nose. With the air on in the car, no odor. I saw nothing with the ICE off or running that was abnormal. I looked at the wiring harnesses, and saw no wear or signs of over heating (stayed away from the HV battery connections).

I will take it out later this week to see if there is a recurrence. Thanks again... if comes back, will keep you posted...

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove nearly 1/4 a tank with ICE today. No odor anytime when parking or through the AC vents when driving. I guess it was stuff burning off the muffler due to build up when not in use as Harley suggested. Different experience with the muffler forward of the cabin unlike typical sedans. I think I will use the ICE more. Most likely good for the 4-banger to use longer at a time and not just 10 minutes.
False alarm. Appreciate the suggestions.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update... making an appointment to have validated. I noticed the right front Shock was leaking fluid. It may be that the hydro fluid was leaking and blowing on to the hot exhaust causing the smell similar to ozone. It was very strong on my last ICE trip a couple of weeks ago. If I return to "stealth" mode, the odor goes away quickly. Yesterday, I noticed a fluid puddle (small) just to the front inside of the right front tire. Maybe found the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will advise in a few week. Happy Holidays to all.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Added update and seeing if potential by the "experts": My brother suggested the hydraulic fluid may be from the ICE mounts. They may be hydraulic dampening. I can see the top of the right side mount and down to the aluminum frame below. There is Oil residue on the mount and on the area below the mount. Can't see the left mount from the top of the engine compartment -- too much electrical stuff in the way. I will have checked in addition to the right shock on Thursday. It seems to make sense that the fluid there could get on the manifolds and cause an odor when in SPORT mode.

Don't know if Harley G or PhillyFisker have seen the engine mounts fail this way. Will know more at the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Haven't seen this failure (on a karma anyway) however many manufacturers use hydro mounts and they can fail and leak. Would make sense.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK.... the "beat goes on". Just got my Karma back yesterday. There was the predicted January wait at the CSP here in ATL. After checking, the only thing found was motor oil "blow-by" from the PCV system going into the Turbo on the right side -- thus the oily residue near the motor mount. Nothing from the mounts or shocks. Nothing from the brakes lines. So we are at a lost finding where the Hydraulic Oil on the garage floor is coming from -- Definitely not motor oil :((. When I left the dealer, and turn on the ICE is sport mode, the odor returned. Not overwhelming, but present -- back to the muffler heating possible.

The good news, the CUI was updated to prevent the HVAC "shade" issue (programmable HVAC module), and the Karma -- battery, motors and RDM all checked out perfectly. Have to go back on the Muffler update next week. Had a little miscommunication on its replacement.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mmm, thanks Power Source, will take a look at the fluid level, that escaped me. Is the pump on the right front side?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power Source... you NAILED it. I checked the power steering level, it is down to "add". It is Pentonsis 227, and I smelled the reservoir cap, and THAT IS THE ODOR -- EXACTLY THE SMELL. I guess the hot engine cause it to vaporize and I smell in the cabin when the ICE is on. I will have them check the Power steering system -- I didn't pin point the leak -- when I return next week. THANKS :)

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CSP put on the rack, and took off the muffler revealing a hairline crack once out of the car. No leak, no oil, nothing wrong with the Power Steering pump, hoses or steering connections. I guess good news. They even let me come back to the shop and look, touch and feel. The bottom of the engine was "Dryer than a Popcorn Fart". No explanation for the oil on the garage floor -- unlike water, oil does just disappear with not trace of where it came. We checked every possible surface -- NADA!

On the way home, with the ICE running, I could no longer smell the odor, so maybe it was the blow-by from the turbocharger. or could have been exhaust gas from the hairline crack. I could smell the new "metallic" muffler for a bit and it vanished after a few traffic lights. Will take to the golf course this weekend, about a 90 mile round trip.

Over-all, pleased to know my Karma is in great condition. Two Karma owners had driven from Raleigh area to Atlanta to get the last things done before the CAP ending in a few days. Glad I got the muffler done, the water intrusion and the CID and RDM updates.

Been a busy time there, but Bernie and Atlanta Fisker have been awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts