Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks, I've been considering what life would be like if Fisker Automotive closed its doors and went away forever. I figured that, even though I'd have to pay everything out of pocket, I would be more or less okay. Since such a high number of Karmas were sold in SoCal where I live, my bet was that there would be available technicians to service the car and available parts. I've even been thinking of buying a second Karma as a parts car.

But a conversation I just had with the service manager at Fisker Santa Monica gave me great pause.

I called because my tire pressure monitor had failed to reset after adding air to one of the tires. The Command Center is telling me the front tires have 53 PSI, even though my tire gauge tells me they have 40 PSI. The service manager explained to me that, following adding air to the tires, you have to drive 10 miles for the car to reset the flat tire monitor. So that is *hopefully* the source of the problem since I have not driven that far since adding air.

But then he said "If it doesn't reset after you have driven 10 miles, we can check the tire pressure with a gauge and if everything is okay we'll just turn the light off, but we won't be able to determine the source of the problem since we don't have access to Fisker's diagnostic codes."

He went on to explain that if the 'Check Engine' light comes on, that would be a similar situation. They'll be able to turn the light off, but they won't be able to determine the fault that caused the light to illuminate.

It sounds like they can't do much of anything with the car.

Does anyone else--Harley or Lormax maybe?--have any information to add to this? Is there a solution for those of us who want to hang onto our Karmas?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sounds like the service manager is bs'ing you. Your problem is a very minor problem. Many of the diagnostic codes are generic and can be read with a normal OBDII reader. There are some that are specific to the vehicle but there are tech's on this site that can read them, find out what is wrong and fix the issue.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the service manager is bs'ing you. Your problem is a very minor problem. Many of the diagnostic codes are generic and can be read with a normal OBDII reader. There are some that are specific to the vehicle but there are tech's on this site that can read them, find out what is wrong and fix the issue.
I think the service manager at Fisker Santa Monica is *great*, so I highly doubt he is BS-ing me. There may have been some miscommunication between the two of us. In any case, it sounds as though there are options, so that is good. Thanks for the input! :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have no idea why Fisker of SM told you that, as they still have access to the exact same information as us techs here on Fiskerbuzz (I just logged in to the Tech site to make sure it's still available, it is). Between myself and Harley, I'm pretty sure we've downloaded and saved all of that information as well. If something happens to the site, we'll still be around :)

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
That's not true if needed they can still reprogram the TPMS system or use the ATEQ the dealers have to ping the TPMS sensors while the car is hooked up to the work shop tool .one problem may arise is the lack of replacement TPMS sensors . From what I was told the system is based on the Hyundai system.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
As long as we are on this topic, I have always wondered if the Karma collects and stores performance and diagnostic data on the car's systems in something like an event recorder (or Black Box, if you will) and if so, how can that data be accessed without the expensive diagnostic equipment used by dealerships. Can data like battery temperature, WH/Mile, traction motor RPM, etc. be accessed using something less sophisticated than a full-blown analyzer?

On an ICE-powered car, it's possible to get a monitoring app like DashCommand to monitor engine operating parameters through the OBD II port. I am sure the Karma is constantly collecting boatloads of data on the drive system, but is there a similar way to review that data in real time or to download and analyze it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Using my generic tool that can also monitor live data, I'm able to watch anything related to the engine itself. The other things you mentioned, such as battery temp, inverter temp, etc, I can only monitor using the interface tool and laptop.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Does that include the number of ICE-miles and battery-miles driven?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Using my generic tool that can also monitor live data, I'm able to watch anything related to the engine itself. The other things you mentioned, such as battery temp, inverter temp, etc, I can only monitor using the interface tool and laptop.
Just to be sure I understand, you CAN monitor the Karma's EV system data on your interface tool and laptop. Can you do that in real time, historical data, or both?

It would be great to have a skilled APP developer write a Karma-specific app that could display and record the EV data from the OBD II port (looking in your general direction, @Brian). Combine that with a Bluetooth OBD II connector and lots of data fun can be had.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Yes we can watch live data many times I've taken the lap top with me on a road test . Each module displays its own data . The ECU displays anything having to do with the engine the HCU displays what the Hybrid system is doing . Also the HV battery uses EBCM to monitor what's going on . The only way of really checking what's going on is using live data . As far as data logging all cars have that but on the deaership level we can only access a small amount .

If you would like a screen shot of the EBCM live data I probably can post a picture of it . Many times Fisker tech support asked us for live data screen shots . Also we are able to activate certain functions of the car to make systems were working correctly . From running any of the cooling fans even running the cooling pumps .

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's not true if needed they can still reprogram the TPMS system or use the ATEQ the dealers have to ping the TPMS sensors while the car is hooked up to the work shop tool .one problem may arise is the lack of replacement TPMS sensors . From what I was told the system is based on the Hyundai system.
I had my tire guy trying to source TPMS sensors so they don't have to switch them every time I change rims/tires from summer to winter, but no luck. Does anybody know if this is an OEM part and where to get them?

My winter tires are different from ones sold by Fisker so they did not come with the sensors installed :(

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have 4 sensors if you need them, PM me. One catch though, the Karma can only recognize 4 sensors at a time. You'll still need the TPMS system to be reprogrammed when you put the winter tires on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 4 sensors if you need them, PM me. One catch though, the Karma can only recognize 4 sensors at a time. You'll still need the TPMS system to be reprogrammed when you put the winter tires on.
This brings up an interesting question.

I switched to my summer wheels and tires about a month ago and got two or three tire alerts after the first few days but haven't gotten anymore alerts after the first week. Does the car ignore the TPMS system after a while?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is the light on the dash still on? It's orange, looks like the picture below. If it's still on, I'm guessing it's because it doesn't recognize the sensors in your summer wheels and needs the relearn procedure. It'll stop warning you though, and just leave the light on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Word this Morning is that major investors are tied up in lawsuits with Fisker (no surprise). They have not gone BK because they are hoping for a rescue but likelihood is near 0. Most probable outcome is shutdown ( near 100% certainty) so guess we have to plan accordingly. This from one of the prime investors.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Word this Morning is that major investors are tied up in lawsuits with Fisker (no surprise). They have not gone BK because they are hoping for a rescue but likelihood is near 0. Most probable outcome is shutdown ( near 100% certainty) so guess we have to plan accordingly. This from one of the prime investors.
I am surprised there has been no news of these lawsuits, other than the one individual who sued over the "pay to play" requirement of the last round. Also, the DOE has a great interest in getting back as much money as possible, so there is going to be a sale of the assets to someone, even if there is a shutdown. Not saying your source is wrong, just that the information does not match what we already know, so I would be skeptical.

On the other hand, there is no harm in preparing for the worst, so plan away.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sadly, this seems to be the most reasonable scenario.

:-(

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Yes we can watch live data many times I've taken the lap top with me on a road test . Each module displays its own data . The ECU displays anything having to do with the engine the HCU displays what the Hybrid system is doing . Also the HV battery uses EBCM to monitor what's going on . The only way of really checking what's going on is using live data . As far as data logging all cars have that but on the deaership level we can only access a small amount .

If you would like a screen shot of the EBCM live data I probably can post a picture of it . Many times Fisker tech support asked us for live data screen shots . Also we are able to activate certain functions of the car to make systems were working correctly . From running any of the cooling fans even running the cooling pumps .
How does the diagnostic computer connect to the car, via one of the USB port or through the OBD II port?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts