Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking to buy

I am thinking about buying a used Karma. Thanks for the buying list. Will definitely check that out. What is the right price assuming all that work has been done? I am most concerned about the battery and about replacement body parts if the body gets damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right price

Thanks for the reply. I know that a lot of Karma's are listed in the mid-60k but not sure where the clearing price is. For example, there are 20 karma's listed on Ebay. Bids on only two so far and those range from 34K to 40K. I count at least 100 karma's for sale on the various sites. it seems that they are asking too much. How do I find out the price that actual sales take place?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
If the Karma is selling for to cheap way below market value IMO they are hiding something as in problems with the car . No one is going to sell. 110K car just because they don't want it anymore . Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
334 Posts
Totally agree with Harley guy ..
I saw couple online with price mid 50 but the engine light is on .. This big alarm could be the battery
Also most what you see there on eBay bids with reserve not met

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still struggling

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I am still struggling with the price that sales actually happen. I understand that the 2012 Karma's sold for over $100k but even cars with warranties depreciate in value pretty significantly after three years. Layer on top of that the lack of any warranty and the difficulty of service. Mid-60s (unless there is a warranty, particularly relating to the battery) seems too high. Do any sites report actual sales?

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I am still struggling with the price that sales actually happen. I understand that the 2012 Karma's sold for over $100k but even cars with warranties depreciate in value pretty significantly after three years. Layer on top of that the lack of any warranty and the difficulty of service. Mid-60s (unless there is a warranty, particularly relating to the battery) seems too high. Do any sites report actual sales?
Nick,

I think for most people taking the plunge into a Karam today it will be similar to someone buying a classic car -- IMHO I do not think it's not suitble for someone trying to buy an exotic(cheap) that may not have the funds to deal with the unknowns.

I bought my new becuase I had to have it, but if I was in the market today, I would contact one of the trained Fisker Mechanics on this forum (Fiskerphilly, Harleyguy, Lormax etc). I would tell them what I was looking for as far as colors and millage (and even give them a budget) and let them suggest a car they have serviced or have confidence in on the market ... and I would negotiate price with that owner.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Nick,

I think for most people taking the plunge into a Karam today it will be similar to someone buying a classic car -- IMHO I do not think it's not suitble for someone trying to buy an exotic(cheap) that may not have the funds to deal with the unknowns.

I bought my new becuase I had to have it, but if I was in the market today, I would contact one of the trained Fisker Mechanics on this forum (Fiskerphilly, Harleyguy, Lormax etc). I would tell them what I was looking for as far as colors and millage (and even give them a budget) and let them suggest a car they have serviced or have confidence in on the market ... and I would negotiate price with that owner.

@nick,

Have you seen this post by @FiskerPhilly? Two of his clients are selling their Karmas and he knows the cars' histories and service condition. Should help minimize the amount of unknowns in the process.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Cars.com has a number of Karmas with <10K miles and clean Carfax's listed at dealers for under $60K asking price. I would guess that you don't need to pay more than $50-$53K to get a low mileage Karma.

Last year, when asking prices were higher and there was no warranty, here are 3 sales that I can personally attest to (one of them was mine):

3K miles - $55K (consignment)
10K miles - $50K (private sale)
17K miles - $46K (purchased by dealer, resold at $50K)

·
Registered
304 Posts
bought mine a few months ago 56k with 5k miles.

Agreed that you have to plan for some unexpected costs - but hopefully not. Compared to my 2014 Panamera Turbo that I sold as my daily driver the Fisker was a no brainer as it was less than 1/3 the cost of my Panamera.

For 4 months my car has been trouble free and I have put about 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Talked with my dealer friend and he sent me the last Manheim wholesale results. Looks like low 50's is wholesale and like others have said you don't know what issues are going on.

08/04/14 NJ Regular $47,000 6,386 Below White 4H A Yes
09/25/14 RIVRSIDE Regular $51,500 19,414 Avg SILVER 4H A Yes
10/09/14 CHICAGO Regular $51,500 6,272 Avg GRAY 4H Yes
12/03/14 PALM BCH Regular $53,000 4,111 Above BLACK 4H A Yes
12/03/14 PALM BCH Regular $50,800 6,048 Avg SILVER 4H A Yes
12/03/14 NASHVILL Regular $54,000 13,933 Above WHITE 4H A Yes

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am thinking about buying a used Karma. Thanks for the buying list. Will definitely check that out. What is the right price assuming all that work has been done? I am most concerned about the battery and about replacement body parts if the body gets damaged.

Over year in research :)
searching in this forum here what I can summarize it

1-All most all the cars had software update 5.1 ( which after 2 years I can say it's pretty stable )low and high vins
2-Low vins mostly had the most updated parts if the dealer fixed them on their lots
3-rdm even failed on high vins if you do search on the forum you will see they failed
5k 10k 15k Mine suppose to had new rdm Motor but failed 21k ( I was lucky claimant Fisker did all repair in Alex shop big chunk covered under customer support plan)
3- to check if you have updated parts
On the rdm some say the differential
Has to have 4 digits number and motor has to have green circle
And some of these failed too due to the lousy quality control and company went to bankruptcy

In other word .. 95% of them the motor going to fail ,,, best way to prevent it is drop the rdm update the splines differential c clip the crush nut
Most important loctite
This 3k just labor and parts about 4k

Battery is the hard one ,, if you lucky you have one weak module you can live with engine light
but if it multiple modules cans be very expensive 25k if you find. Whole battery

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
the last 100 cars that were produced had a different battery that was supposed to go out as 2013's. i dont know about the rdm or other modules, but the battery is a different style according to a tech for a123

·
Registered
80 Posts
bought mine more than a year ago for $54K with about 10k in miles. I factored in the known traction motor issue and possibly dealing with the battery (although it was confirmed mine received a new battery) - I had someone qualified do a pre inspection, and have been happy. Eventhough now it seems I will deal soon with the traction motors my "all in cost" will still be around the low to mid 60's which I still think is a bargain.

p.s. mine was a low Vin - but had had all of the "campaigns" and updates.

also on the traction motors - Eventhough some people say the traction motor splines go in the first 10K miles - I am at 20K miles - I would price in at least having them loctite - no matter what.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts