Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I only recently bought my Fisker Karma in the Netherlands and over the past weeks I have browsed through this very informative and interesting forum where you all have learned me a lot about my Fisker !

So far I am very pleased en enthusiastic about my purchase. I have learned to accept some software issues and enjoy driving my car on a daily basis.

However, I have one issue : can somebody explain me with logical arguments why, with a full charged battery, a Fisker Karma in sport mode loses battery capacity (until about half empty battery) ?
Why can't I drive a long distance on fuel only (sport mode), keep my full battery nicely in reserve, and at the end of my journey use up the full battery in stealth mode ?
Is this a software thing and could it be fixed ?

I also wanted to know if there are any other users from Belgium on this forum.

Cheers,

Hans

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi and welcome.

This has something to do with US EPA envision results, where you need to combine gas and electric miles to reach certain goals for the CO2 emission.

And this must not to be controlled by users.

Have s look at pwr-source.com
They have a 'fix' ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hello @HansBelgium, and welcome to the Forum. By tradition, I request that you post some photos of your new Karma in the Owners' Garage section of the forum. We never get tired of looking at photos of Karmas around here.

Regarding your question, what you are experiencing is a design compromise made by Fisker for a number of reasons, some of them technical (voltage drop in battery at lower charge levels) and also, as @Stefan pointed out, to reduce emissions.

Here is how it works:

If you switch to Sport mode when the HV battery is more than 1/2 full (26 or more US Miles indicated range), the car draws power from both the gas engine AND the battery. This allows you to access the car's full power by combining the two power sources. As a result, you will see the battery range dropping in this mode because the battery is used as the primary power source, and when called for, the gas engine is used to provide extra power but you will also experience more power and more responsiveness in the car.

If you select Sport mode when the battery is less than 1/2 full (25 or less US Miles indicated range), if you are already in Sport mode and the battery level drops below 1/2, the program changes to sustain mode and will run the gas engine only to maintain the charge level in the battery and also move the car. This mode allows you to save power for using later in Stealth mode. In this mode, because the gas engine is used to replace the power being used to move the car, the total power available is only what can be drawn from the battery, which is 1/2 the total power available. There are rational engineering reasons for making this compromise, mainly having to do with the voltage available from the battery at different charge levels.

Also as @Stefan pointed out, there is an option of adding a device called a TOM system offered by @PowerSource that would give you more options, including the option of charging the battery as you drive using the gas engine. This is not a Karma product, but an aftermarket system.

Hope this explains it. Feel free to ask any other questions, and once again, welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

many thanks to Fabulist and Stefan regarding my little issue !

Thanks to Fabulist I now understand what happens with the electric/gas consumption in every drive mode (and with a battery more or less than half charged)
Thanks to Stefan I know this has to do with US emission regulations.

As Belgium is no where near to te USA, I find this device by pwr-source very interesting ! Does anybody on this forum have user experience with this magic device ? What do you think about the price of 3.000 $ ?
@Stefan : do you live in Germany ? I live not to far away from the German border. Is the NRW-Garage in Düsseldorf good ? There is no Fisker dealer in Belgium, and Düsseldorf is a shorter drive then Hilversum in the Netherlands ...

Greetings,

Hans

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hello Hans,

I can highly recommend them and I know, they have customers from Belgium and even the NL.

If you plan to come to Duesserdorf, just drop me a note.
I'm in Belgium In the first Week of August... We should PM

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will extend a welcome, too, Hans. As a fellow new owner I discover something new about the car just about every time I even get near it. Part of the fun is the discovery itself (at least for me) and just appreciating the car for what it is.
You will find people and posts here that represent years of experience with the car. I know I have.
Driving with a smile - at least for today :)
Randy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Hans, benieuwd naar jouw indrukken. Ben zelf ook woonachtig in België (dichtbij Brussel) en aan het nadenken over de mogelijke aanschaf van een Fisker. Benieuwd naar jouw indrukken en ervaringen. Mag ik 's bellen ? Groeten MVP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts