Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chinese Fans of Karma
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I fix the VCM problem, here is the new problem. I do not know why I am in so bad luck, but I am lucky that I have you guys help.

Condition: the charge is working fine, it has two green lights above and flashing green lights below.

Problem: without charging the HV battery, it shows from the instrument that low HV battery and is not allow you to press the "D" button. When I plug in the charger, it shows the battery is almost full right away from the instrument. While the charging, the cooling fans always on, and a few hours later the 12V battery become dead. the charge stop flashing any more. the car completely dead because of the 12V battery dead.

I think the HV battery did not charge it all somehow. and why the fans always on? if I unplug the charge, the cooling fans will turn off right away.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Before you hook the charger up let the car go to sleep .Sleep is when the back lighting of the gear selector is dark or not lite up .Or before you hook the charger up turn the AC off . The cooling fan can come on for a few reasons we will cross that bridge after you try and charge the car again . What are you going to do with the VCM that isn't working correctly

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Hi wmzhao,
I am NOT a technician, but I know that I have to turn off the Air Conditioning (A/C) before I turn off the car in order for the fan to stop running when I am charging. Also, it may be possible that your new battery is defective. In the USA, our auto parts stores can check the battery to see if it will take a load. Hopefully you can do that as well. I have been problem free for 16,000 miles (except for the normal software glitches and a loud muffler). I am hoping your problems were due to your car sitting for an extended period of time. I am so glad you are getting support from this forum, Good Luck!

·
Chinese Fans of Karma
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before you hook the charger up let the car go to sleep .Sleep is when the back lighting of the gear selector is dark or not lite up .Or before you hook the charger up turn the AC off . The cooling fan can come on for a few reasons we will cross that bridge after you try and charge the car again . What are you going to do with the VCM that isn't working correctly
thank you, could you please explain "without charging the HV battery, it shows from the instrument that low HV battery and is not allow you to press the "D" button. When I plug in the charger, it shows the battery is almost full right away from the instrument. "

I am going to send this bad VCM to Lormax, he will fix for me. thank you

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Not sure what is going on before you swapped VCM maybe you should of waited and done some more reading on how to diagnosis the problem you were having . Maybe you left one of the connectors loose or not engaged fully when you swapped the VCM. As technicians before we swap parts from one car to another we do a proper diagnosis of the problem I believe 8avgmpg mentioned on that other thread it wasn't a good idea to swap parts but I could be wrong . Not trying to be a dick but your having a problem that's hard to diag over a forum

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Do us a favor and take a picture of the instrument cluster that shows the low HV battery error message. When it's doing that, is the "READY" light blinking on the screen?

The charger really shouldn't be plugged in if the car is on at all. Like Harleyguy said, make sure the car is completely asleep before plugging in the charger, ever.

If the HV battery is charging, the APM (Accessory Power Module) would be on. This module charges the 12V battery. So, during the time that the HV battery is actually charging, it's pretty hard to drain the 12V battery completely. You're sure the charger is actually charging the whole time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, during charging, turn on the CIU and go to "energy flow" screen, you should see a "charging animation" It will show the state of charge in percentage.

This is another way to ensure charging is happening.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Spoke to him tonight over the phone. Intermittent HVIL issue, causing the ready light to blink. Getting it handled.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
It seems there is a lesson to be learned here. If you are going to ship your car, or leave it for an extended period of time. Make sure your HV battery is at full charge. So if your are shipping over seas, you may need to find a place within a couple of miles of the port to let it charge the night before boarding. HarleyGuy and Lormax, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
It seems there is a lesson to be learned here. If you are going to ship your car, or leave it for an extended period of time. Make sure your HV battery is at full charge. So if your are shipping over seas, you may need to find a place within a couple of miles of the port to let it charge the night before boarding. HarleyGuy and Lormax, what do you think?
The HV battery is the least of the problems the 12 volt is the problem . The HV battery loses less then 1%?charge a month . I suggest if the car is going into a container that the 12 volt disconnect is disconnected after the car is placed in the container problem is the shipping yard won't do it . This what I asked the shipper to do when we shipped a car to Africa they never did that and after three months in the container the car went dead and that's when the problems started .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts