Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm currently on a tour in afghanistan as a contractor and it looks to be my first of a couple of tours here. So I've been perusing and trying to find out as much info as I can on whether or not this car would be viable for me.. I love the way it looks, I'm moving from a huge gas guzzler so the feeling of not having to fill up every other day sounds AMAZING to me! Especially while having a car as beautiful and sexy as this one! I've caught up on everything and I will still be doing a few more months of research, but all the helpful info seems to be on this forum. So my question is, will this work as my daily driver if I drive say around 12-20 miles a day? I don't mind some repairs as my house of residence is in socal and I read there's a place I can go to for that, I just don't want to have to visit there frequently.. any insight would be so helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Edit: it seems to vary on a case by case basis.. I guess I might just be looking for a little reassurance to make that leap of faith :angel:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello,

I'm currently on a tour in afghanistan as a contractor and it looks to be my first of a couple of tours here. So I've been perusing and trying to find out as much info as I can on whether or not this car would be viable for me.. I love the way it looks, I'm moving from a huge gas guzzler so the feeling of not having to fill up every other day sounds AMAZING to me! Especially while having a car as beautiful and sexy as this one! I've caught up on everything and I will still be doing a few more months of research, but all the helpful info seems to be on this forum. So my question is, will this work as my daily driver if I drive say around 12-20 miles a day? I don't mind some repairs as my house of residence is in socal and I read there's a place I can go to for that, I just don't want to have to visit there frequently.. any insight would be so helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Edit: it seems to vary on a case by case basis.. I guess I might just be looking for a little reassurance to make that leap of faith :angel:

@jasonton87 - good luck with the search. I would suggest contacting @FiskerPhilly to see if he has any Karma's that have been updated and will be sold with a warranty. It's probably the safest way now to ensure you get a car with a solid future. Thanks for your service too and be safe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, FiskerPhilly is a long way from your stated area of SoCal. I can only give you my experience with the reliability of the Karma.
My car has only needed service twice: once for the 20K checkup and for the 30K checkup. Its at the dealer now, Frank Kent of Ft. Worth. They're also installing software version 530, and performing the 70 point check for continued warranty.

My driving pattern is similar to yours, about 20 - 40 miles a day, average. Occasionally I travel over 50 miles and use some gasoline. I completed a rare 4000 mile trip in the Fisker in November and measured 31.13 mpg with a few charges helping out. Wonderful car for travel comfort, albeit mostly on ICE.

·
Registered
829 Posts
One thing to note, if you're going to be away for long periods ... you'll certainly want the newest "Level 530" software update (and even still, if it's a really long period - keep it on a battery tender). The 12 volt battery goes flat if you leave your Karma sitting for more than a couple of weeks, and the 530 update is the first one that will use the car's High Voltage batteries to recharge the 12 volt system. Making it possible to let the car sit for months instead of just days. I would look for a car that has passed the new extended warranty program. That way you'll know you're getting into a solid car from day 1. Good luck. If you're driving mostly under 40 miles a day, you'll love practically never buying gas. Get yourself a 240 volt charger for your house. Worth it!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow.. Thank you for all the feedback! This has definitely given me some comfort as well as opened my eyes on some things I was curious about. It seems like Fisker is really picking things back up and that's instilling a lot of confidence in me going forward! I still won't be making a purchase for a few more months (although I do want to do it as soon as possible so I can still pluck one with low mileage) because I'll be stuck here until the summer so hopefully most of the karma's have received the update by that time! My only worry is that once the update rolls out, people will want to drive it more and may not want to sell it :( but time will tell. Once I'm closer to the date of returning home, I will message @FiskerPhilly for any vehicles as I can just fly there from Afghan, and ship it home if the deal is worth it! Or maybe I'll message him earlier if I get a little trigger happy and my thirst for wanting this car continues to grow as it's been doing for the past month or so!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds good! Looking forward to it. Good luck in the search and most of all thank you for your service! BTW, I have a karma here for a few months belonging to a Naval pfc who's out at sea as well as another that belongs to a fella in military supply chain. Plenty of family here...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that's awesome! I find myself thinking about it almost everyday that I'm here (not much else to do lol) so it's making me very anxious! Still gathering info and waiting for the right one to come along.. but this whole community makes me feel comfortable about purchasing as any questions I have will seemingly have an answer here! Makes it feel like a safety net for me, so if anyone knows of any good deals from here on out pleaes just shoot me a pm!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay! So after some more research I have a few questions, some probably simple as I get the hang of this EV stuff, and the others more area based:

-So from what I've read, there are public charging stations that the karma cannot use because of compatibility? And the karma can't do the fast charge?

-What are some good places to charge at in the Orange County, CA area?

-I tried looking up storage places for EV vehicles, but none of the places I looked at said anything about EV storage.. I e-mailed them but no response yet. Anybody know of any places also in the OC area?

-Read that Elite Motors is no longer a CSP.. was definitely going to make a trip to see Alex so he could give the car a once-over when I got it.. who are y'all going to now?

-I know there's a lot of little tricks you guys do when an issue arises, but being so new and knowing close to nothing, are these moments that will leave me stranded? I know there's stuff like letting the car go to sleep, unplugging a black cable(?) under the hood, and hard resets, etc. but I guess I'll pick that up along the way?

-So now with the new karma automotive, you can purchase a warranty with them? I tried loading their page, but the internet is ungodly slow out here..

That should be all for now, lol, but thanks for any help in advance and sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Okay! So after some more research I have a few questions, some probably simple as I get the hang of this EV stuff, and the others more area based:

That should be all for now, lol, but thanks for any help in advance and sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid!
So from what I've read, there are public charging stations that the karma cannot use because of compatibility? And the karma can't do the fast charge?

-What are some good places to charge at in the Orange County, CA area?
The Karma is compatible with any public charger that provides Level I (basically a standard electric plug) or J1772 Level II charging. This covers the vast majority of public charging stations. The Karma is not compatible with DC fast charging or with Tesla's superchargers.

The best way to find public charging stations is to use an app like Chargepoint, Blink!, Pugshare, or similar apps. I like the Chargepoint App because it can tell me wheter a Chargepoint charging station is in use, no just where it is. In some cases, you can even reserve a charger before you get there.

-I tried looking up storage places for EV vehicles, but none of the places I looked at said anything about EV storage.. I e-mailed them but no response yet. Anybody know of any places also in the OC area?
Unless you are storing the car for very very long periods of time, you don't need to plug it in to a charger, and even in that situation, you just need access to a standard wall plug and can use a portable level I charger, like the one that comes with the car. Like almost all stored cars, you do need to plug in a battery tender for the 12V battery, however. Do a search on "Karma storage" in the forum and you should find a lot of useful tips. Bottom line: As long as your storage place provides access to a standard wall plug, you should be OK.

-I know there's a lot of little tricks you guys do when an issue arises, but being so new and knowing close to nothing, are these moments that will leave me stranded? I know there's stuff like letting the car go to sleep, unplugging a black cable(?) under the hood, and hard resets, etc. but I guess I'll pick that up along the way?
The tricks, aka "soft reset" or "hard reset" can help with certain issues. It is usually the first and second thing you should try if the Karma is not behaving as expected, and in that order. They don't solve all problems, but they are sufficiently helpful that you should be prepare to try them if the need arises. There are many posts about these procedures and you should be able to find them easily enough wth simple word searches.

But the real trick (pun intended) to avoid getting stranded is to have the car thoroughly checked out before committing to the purchase, or to buy a factory certified car that has already been checked out and that comes with a factory warranty for two years.

-So now with the new karma automotive, you can purchase a warranty with them? I tried loading their page, but the internet is ungodly slow out here..
You need to get in touch with a CSP for the application process. The CSP will inspect the car and submit the require information to KA for the warranty. I know that Elite is no longer a CSP, so you need to see who KA appoints in OC. As I understand it, Alex will continue to offer repairs and services to Karma owners but not under warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Also, remember that you're not going to be stranded if your battery gets low - so long as you can buy gas. It's nice to always be able to leave home with a "full battery". But, if I'm going on a longer drive, I kick in Sport Mode as soon as I get down to 27 Stealth (electric) miles and let the gas engine maintain my battery charge there until I know I'm getting back close enough to home (and my 240V charger) to go back to Stealth mode. That way, I always have options. If my engine stopped working (which never has, but), I always know I have 27 electric miles in reserve.

Fab is right. If you get a good car, it's as reliable as any other. When you're reading these exchanges that tell people to try various resets ... that's not an everyday occurrence. I will say that most of us have done it at least once -- it's kind of like the Karma computer's Cntl-Alt-Del.

Day to day, it's pretty easy. Let the car go to sleep (the pink light in the PRND pyramid goes out) before you plug it in. Takes 45 seconds from shutoff. Plug it in pretty much every night you drive it. If you find a charger near your work or the movie/restaurant you're going to, then fine ... use it. But, don't worry about it if you can't find one! And, don't go out of your way to look for one! That's why this design is superior. Use as much electricity as you can, but don't fret when you can't. Frankly, per mile, Blink can be more expensive than gas these days. Home charging is still cheaper.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"Day to day, it's pretty easy. Let the car go to sleep (the pink light in the PRND pyramid goes out) before you plug it in. Takes 45 seconds from shutoff."

Since getting 520, I've never waited at all to plug the car in, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have plugged mine in too soon (since 520), and had it not charge. Maybe something else happened, I don't know. I haven't not let it sleep before charging since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks for all the input! Shoutout to fab for taking all that time to answer my essay question lol. Definitely helpful and gives me a start point going forward on what info I need next. Hopefully by then, Elite Motors will have been re-instated as a CSP or I find a thread about a really good one in my area.. Won't be purchasing the car for another few months so it's not of dire importance yet. I'll continue to do my due diligence so that I'm completely ready come august, and If I have any more questions I'll post them here! Thank Buzznation!

·
Registered
546 Posts
@jasonton87: Alex can still work on your car. He has worked on my Karma, and I can recommend him without any hesitation. He's very professional and fair. You'll just have to pay out of pocket.

I haven't dealt with the (new-ish) CSP, but I have read complaints here that they are not responsive. By contrast, Alex almost always picks up the phone when I call and, on the odd occasion he is unable to do so, he'll often call me back within the hour.

FiskerPhilly is a great resource for you to hit up for purchase. I can't imagine that transporting a car from Philadelphia to SoCal would be prohibitively expensive. If FiskerPhilly tells you that a car he has available for sale is solid, then you can trust his opinion.

As for driving patterns...I typically drive no more than 20 miles per day. That allows me to drive electric almost all the time. It's a very rare day that I exhaust the battery and have to resort to using the ICE. It sounds like the perfect car for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@jasonton87: Alex can still work on your car. He has worked on my Karma, and I can recommend him without any hesitation. He's very professional and fair. You'll just have to pay out of pocket.

I haven't dealt with the (new-ish) CSP, but I have read complaints here that they are not responsive. By contrast, Alex almost always picks up the phone when I call and, on the odd occasion he is unable to do so, he'll often call me back within the hour.

FiskerPhilly is a great resource for you to hit up for purchase. I can't imagine that transporting a car from Philadelphia to SoCal would be prohibitively expensive. If FiskerPhilly tells you that a car he has available for sale is solid, then you can trust his opinion.

As for driving patterns...I typically drive no more than 20 miles per day. That allows me to drive electric almost all the time. It's a very rare day that I exhaust the battery and have to resort to using the ICE. It sounds like the perfect car for you.
Ohh, okay well that's a sigh of relief.. at least he's still around. I've shipped a car from NY before and it ended up being around 1400.. not too bad but not great either lol. Yeah, my plan was to either hit Fiskerphilly up or to see if Alex could inspect the vehicle with me if I found one in our area. In any case, there's still plenty of time and all I can do now is admire from afar.. not really a day goes by where I don't look at it LOL.

Yup, that's pretty much what my driving pattern will be like! And with me being gone for so long, there will be plenty of days where it's not driven at all so thank you for the vote of confidence. To this day I still think it's one of the BEST looking cars out there, inside and out.. I follow an instagram fisker fan page where owners post pics and it looks stunning in any environment..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts