Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just bought my Karma yesterday (Sunday- Superbowl day!). Deep Ocean Blue/ Tri tone Monsoon interior. It is #1625 - 7700 miles - One owner.

I have been reading this forum for weeks and I had compile a long list of good valid reasons why I should never ever buy a Karma. Thanks guys! Fortunately, I was able to left my reason aside for a moment and here you go.... I own a beautiful Karma.

Today was my first full day with the car. I dropped off the kids at school and I enjoyed my first " 100% emission free" commute. It was a gorgeous sunny day in the Bay Area. Everyone was happy!......Not so fast ...

This would have been the perfect day if it was not for this last little trip to my daughter volleyball practice. On the way back, the car behaved really weird:

1. The "Touch Screen Display" refused to display anything else than the Fisker Logo. The car worked fine but the "agree button" never came up. I stopped and restarted the car a couple of times but no luck. I ended up driving home and parking the car for a few minutes. Next thing you know, I start the car again and everything is working fine....

2. I started the car (in stealth mode) but the gas engine started too. The car mode was displaying "Stealth" but the gas engine was definitely running. I started driving and I switched back and forth between Stealth and Sport. The (gas) engine finally stopped. The display was still showing 18 miles range in Stealth.

I love the car. Really! I do! I know it is full of "surprises" and I am prepared to live with them. I am ready to admit than some of what I experienced tonight are "user mistakes". I have tried to look up these problems on the forum, but many such issues were reported with early version of the software back in 2012. My car was updated with latest software last October (release 510 - update and service performed at former Fisker Silicon Valley).

Please let me know if you have any idea what happened with my Karma tonight. On the upside, no music in the car meant more quality time talking with my teenager daughter... priceless.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
It is not uncommon that the display does not load normally and usually if you shut the car down completely (takes about 2 minutes) and reboot it, the display will come up. The car starts the ICE every once in a while to circulate things. It starts when you boot up, even in stealth, so that is normal too. Congratulations and enjoy your car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome!

The gas engine starting up is normal, and it will still show "stealth". It will do so every time you gas it up, and occasionally just to run the engine a bit and keep the gasoline from getting stale, etc. I have never experienced the screen issue you mention but note this, everything works better with a high-quality charge. If you are using the supplied 110 charger that comes with the car, my experience is that you will have more issues with range as well as weird display events. If you haven't done so yet, install a 240V wall charger (mine is the Schneider EV Link, about $600). Since you are in the Bay Area, you're welcome try my charger out!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Hello everyone! I just bought my Karma yesterday (Sunday- Superbowl day!). Deep Ocean Blue/ Tri tone Monsoon interior. It is #1625 - 7700 miles - One owner.

I have been reading this forum for weeks and I had compile a long list of good valid reasons why I should never ever buy a Karma. Thanks guys! Fortunately, I was able to left my reason aside for a moment and here you go.... I own a beautiful Karma.

Today was my first full day with the car. I dropped off the kids at school and I enjoyed my first " 100% emission free" commute. It was a gorgeous sunny day in the Bay Area. Everyone was happy!......Not so fast ...

This would have been the perfect day if it was not for this last little trip to my daughter volleyball practice. On the way back, the car behaved really weird:

1. The "Touch Screen Display" refused to display anything else than the Fisker Logo. The car worked fine but the "agree button" never came up. I stopped and restarted the car a couple of times but no luck. I ended up driving home and parking the car for a few minutes. Next thing you know, I start the car again and everything is working fine....

2. I started the car (in stealth mode) but the gas engine started too. The car mode was displaying "Stealth" but the gas engine was definitely running. I started driving and I switched back and forth between Stealth and Sport. The (gas) engine finally stopped. The display was still showing 18 miles range in Stealth.

I love the car. Really! I do! I know it is full of "surprises" and I am prepared to live with them. I am ready to admit than some of what I experienced tonight are "user mistakes". I have tried to look up these problems on the forum, but many such issues were reported with early version of the software back in 2012. My car was updated with latest software last October (release 510 - update and service performed at former Fisker Silicon Valley).

Please let me know if you have any idea what happened with my Karma tonight. On the upside, no music in the car meant more quality time talking with my teenager daughter... priceless.
@OceanK, welcome to Fiskerbuzz and to the joys and tribulations of Karma ownership. It's always a pleasure to welcome a new member and Karma owner. Following tradition, I would like to ask you to post some photos of your new ride.

You may know about this already, but just in case, Fisker created and posted a series of short videos for new owners on Youtube when they launched the car. They include an overview as well as specific videos for things like jump starting the car, navigation, etc. You can find them on this YouTube Channel. one of the topics covered relates to your question about the gas engine (or ICE as we call it) coming on from time to time in Stealth mode. As was already explained, this is a normal housekeeping function that exercises the ICE and clears out the fumes in the emission system.

Hope you enjoy your Karma and be prepared to be accosted by strangers and asked about your car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mine freaked me out on my first day, too (3 weeks ago). In my case I got a Check Engine Light. I have a weak cell that really limits me to 42 Stealth miles instead of 50. Rarely bothers me other than the dang engine symbol blotting out the digital speedometer. But, it's such a cool car, and I can clear the light whenever it happens with 30 seconds and my cell phone (talking to a little $70 device that plugs into the OBD port). The moral of the story is -- put your trials and fears out here, and everybody will calm you down and help you out! Welcome! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome and for all the tips and comments on my post. I am happy to report that day two was an "uneventful" day with the Karma. The display came up and all functions were working just fine.

I realized that I accidentally opened the fuel filler door as I was attempting to release the parking break. This probably caused the ICE to start when I started the car. Rocky mistake....most likely not the last one.

I have a few more questions about the car but I will first explore the forum a little bit more and watch the videos recommended by Fabulist.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome OceanK. Congrats on your purchase and nice pictures in the photo gallery!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts