Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help!

My car has 60K its a 2012. I can't drive more than 1 mile without the error message popping up telling me to reduce performance. I just received two quotes for an engine. 18K & 13K is that the going rate or can I find cheaper?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Who told you, that 'reduced performance' leads to a broken engine?

This sounds weird...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I took it in because of that error image. And once they changed the oil they found specs from the engine. & the error light is still showing. He says the reason is due to lack of oil changes which is what caused to engine to defect.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Seems very odd on a Karma. I change my Oil once a year, since the ICE is only used less than 50% of the time (closer for me about 40%). I have 45,000 miles.

@Miss Blanche, make sure you are taking to a Fisker authorized Service Location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Alex Pop is the OC. I truthfully don't know how the Engine has ran its course. I just replaced the cuppler in August & the technician said he did an oil change. However, when Alex took the dipping stick from the oil he said it was "extremely old and he could see engine shavings"

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Yes, Alex Pop is the OC. I truthfully don't know how the Engine has ran its course. I just replaced the cuppler in August & the technician said he did an oil change. However, when Alex took the dipping stick from the oil he said it was "extremely old and he could see engine shavings"
who did the coupler? You are better off shipping your car to Joe vs paying 13k

·
1,172 Posts
The best way we can help you is if you give the following info:

1. Who replaced the coupler?
2. What are the codes the vehicle is displaying? i.e Pxxxx
3. What type of gasoline are you using?
4. At what mileage was the coupler replaced?
5. Did the person/company that replaced the coupler use synthetic oil when they changed the oil?

If the engine is really bad you will see more than just misfire codes (i.e. knock codes and Cam out of phase codes etc). You really need to get the codes and post them here or it is impossible to give you meaningful feedback without guessing about what the issue may or may not be.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I would do a oil change drive the car and see if codes come back . If you drive the car for a couple weeks without a problem I would change the oil again . If the oil and filter are as bad as they say it you have nothing to lose by doing two oil changes . It shouldn't be that expensive I wouldn't be so fast to jump into replacing the engine.

Right now the engine is running it might just be a bad coupler . If the engine is bad you will know after two oil and filter changes . I've never seen a motor that had metal shavings in it without other things that stand out . Connecting rod knocking . Rattle type noise from the top of the engine . Even smoking out the tailpipe .
Worst case the motor blows up then you will know for sure the motor is bad right now you can't confirm that . Your putting the cart before the horse .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I couldn't agree with @Harleyguy more. You have nothing to lose by changing the oil a few times. I'm new to the EV world but I've been a gear head all my life and it's rare that you see significant metal shavings in the oil without several other noticeable symptoms. It sounds like your mechanic has a good reputation, but if you're not in a rush to spend a lot of money, I would follow @Harleyguy's advise and learn more about the problem.

These days, a lot can be learned about the inside of the engine without having to pull it out and tear it down, thanks to (quality) endoscopes. Those metal shavings came from somewhere and there's a good chance they can be found, particularly because that GM engine has plenty of history and as with most motors, it has known weaknesses which make them easier to be identified.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Harleyguy you are right. I will speak to Alex about changing the oil changes and replacing the coupler before making a 13k engine purchase. Alex indeed did change the oil and he said after driving it the error message came back on asking to "reduce performance & contact the service provider" I am still trying to get the codes that appeared when I had the KARMA dealer first look at the car. Unfortunately Alex said they erased the FAULTS>

·
1,172 Posts
@Harleyguy you are right. I will speak to Alex about changing the oil changes and replacing the coupler before making a 13k engine purchase. Alex indeed did change the oil and he said after driving it the error message came back on asking to "reduce performance & contact the service provider" I am still trying to get the codes that appeared when I had the KARMA dealer first look at the car. Unfortunately Alex said they erased the FAULTS>
If the vehicle currently shows "Reduced Performance" there will be stored and active faults. Please get those and post them here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@PNWkarma you're right. I really don't know anything about he car. I've drove it for 4.5 year without any real problems. I trusted a certain individual hoping he was handling everything. Turns out he wasn't. I actually paid to have the coupler replaced in August

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
What is Lormax?
Lormax is Travis Richardson, burned many people who own Karmas including me. Supposed to replace a HV module, and ended up taking a couple of my good modules and replacing them with defective ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts