Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The light bulb in the Trunk of my Karma stopped working a long time ago, but I kept forgetting about it until today, when I managed to extract it from its holder without causing any damage (no easy feat, I can tell you), only to be confronted by one of oddest looking light bulbs I have ever seen.

First, it is an actual incandescent bulb, which is somewhat surprising, and second instead of a base it has two separate loops, one on each side of the bulb. While I am not entirely surprised that Fisker used an unconventional bulb,(but it is surprising that they did not use an LED) my local parts guy was flummoxed by it and tried to sell me a pack of 10 bulbs that looked more like fuses than bulbs, but that had the loops on either end. Since I was not even sure that those bulbs would fit, and that I was not keen on buying 10 bulbs that may not work (He called them 211s), I thought I should ask the community for help, and it may also help folks who have the same problem.

Has anyone replaced this bulb, and if so, what did you use? Is there an LED equivalent I could substitute? (I did try a search first, and although the trunk light has been discussed before, I could not find a designation or part number).

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know the part # but at least now we know why the light turns off so quickly. To prevent a fire from the incandescent bulb! :huh:

How would that pass certification in this day and age (even back in 2011/2012)?

·
Registered
536 Posts
JOMAK posted a few months back (in a thread about fixing the broken visor) that he'd changed all his bulbs to LEDs, and I'm pasting the relevant part below:

LEDs were bought on eBay and Amazon. Trunk LED is 42mm Loop light, domes and doors are T25 (T15?) if I recall.

Maybe you could PM him for more details, but when you find the item online, please post a link in this thread and your thoughts on it. I'd also love links to all the other bulbs if anyone has been through this already.

The trunk one seems to have 3 sellers on Amazon, but for the same price you can either get 6 of one brand (https://www.amazon.com/XT-AUTO-Brig...id=1479911817&sr=8-9&keywords=42mm+Loop+light) or 2 of another (https://www.amazon.com/AutoEC-White...d=1479911817&sr=8-14&keywords=42mm+Loop+light).

In my experience buying LED bulbs on ebay, they don't last long, so maybe buying a 6 back would be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
JOMAK posted a few months back (in a thread about fixing the broken visor) that he'd changed all his bulbs to LEDs, and I'm pasting the relevant part below:

LEDs were bought on eBay and Amazon. Trunk LED is 42mm Loop light, domes and doors are T25 (T15?) if I recall.

Maybe you could PM him for more details, but when you find the item online, please post a link in this thread and your thoughts on it. I'd also love links to all the other bulbs if anyone has been through this already.

The trunk one seems to have 3 sellers on Amazon, but for the same price you can either get 6 of one brand (https://www.amazon.com/XT-AUTO-Brig...id=1479911817&sr=8-9&keywords=42mm+Loop+light) or 2 of another (https://www.amazon.com/AutoEC-White...d=1479911817&sr=8-14&keywords=42mm+Loop+light).

In my experience buying LED bulbs on ebay, they don't last long, so maybe buying a 6 back would be worthwhile.
Thanks for the information, and great suggestion! Found Jomak's post about the visor, and these LEDs are actually cheaper than the bulbs the guy at the auto parts store had in inventory. What a bright idea. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know the part # but at least now we know why the light turns off so quickly. To prevent a fire from the incandescent bulb! :huh:

How would that pass certification in this day and age (even back in 2011/2012)?

Actually, I like the design of the bulb. The design, how the bulb is fixed in the holder, works like a spring and limits the mechanical shock when you close the trunk.

As I could not find an adequate LED, I simply soldered a disassembled LED circuit board from another car LED into the holder.

The ban of the incandescent bulbs started in 2005 and the US haven't been in the first row to support this idea. So there haven't been any regulations for the certification of the Karma

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Thanks to the recommendations, I ordered and received this LED bulb and it went in without a fuss. Of course, my Karma being a Karma, replacing the bulb has exposed a new problem which is that the new bulb turns on and off as I open and close the trunk lid and only stays on during about half of the arc of its travel.

Can anyone tell me where the switch that activates the light is located? This is a pretty minor problem, but if it requires a simple fix, like cleaning up the contacts on a switch, I am game to try it. Let's hope that I don't end up replacing the RDM just to make the trunk light work, which with Karmas is not beyond the realm of possibility.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Update: Thanks to the recommendations, I ordered and received this LED bulb and it went in without a fuss. Of course, my Karma being a Karma, replacing the bulb has exposed a new problem which is that the new bulb turns on and off as I open and close the trunk lid and only stays on during about half of the arc of its travel.

Can anyone tell me where the switch that activates the light is located? This is a pretty minor problem, but if it requires a simple fix, like cleaning up the contacts on a switch, I am game to try it. Let's hope that I don't end up replacing the RDM just to make the trunk light work, which with Karmas is not beyond the realm of possibility.
I just converted my trunk light to LED today. As far as I can tell the switch behaves like it's the same one that gives the trunk open symbol on the dash. Interesting that I have to have the car in accessory mode or a door open for the light to come on but it will stay on after I turn the car off until I close the trunk and doors all the way, it just won't come on with the car off. Behaves like it's being controlled by a latching relay or equivalent. I'm assuming that the actual switch is in the trunk latch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts