Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My navigation does not startup, it shows the boot screen but does not complete. The direction indicator on the dashboard also does not show anything either.

I suspect there is a problem with one or more of the GPS receivers, so far I understood that there are 2 in the sideview mirrors and one in the trunk lid. I checked some of the connections and they seem to be fine.

Has anyone experienced this before and if it was fixed, what was causing the problem?

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome....

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Need to explain your problem a little better .
Does the radio work ?
Do,you get the main screen that has the agree button ?
Or is the whole command center not working you can't access anything ?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My navigation does not startup, it shows the boot screen but does not complete. The direction indicator on the dashboard also does not show anything either.

I suspect there is a problem with one or more of the GPS receivers, so far I understood that there are 2 in the sideview mirrors and one in the trunk lid. I checked some of the connections and they seem to be fine.

Has anyone experienced this before and if it was fixed, what was causing the problem?

I had this happen to me last week. A soft reboot, i.e., wait 2 minutes for the PRNDL to go dark, fixed the issue. All's been fine since.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had this happen to me last week. A soft reboot, i.e., wait 2 minutes for the PRNDL to go dark, fixed the issue. All's been fine since.
Ditto. Happened to my wife last week. A few soft reboots and it ws good to go. This happens once in 100 starts. Yes, we have the latest software.

Bill

·
Registered
483 Posts

The only GPS antenna is located in the trunk lid. The antennas in the mirrors are for AM/FM and FM2.

I assume your not in a parking structure or other type of building that would block the GPS signal? It can take a few minutes for it to locate once it has reception.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The radio works, the command center also works except for the navigation, it keeps showing the rotating "working" signal.

I have done some more investigating, and the cable of the receiver in the left mirror is damaged, so I suspect that this is the problem. Or are the receivers in the mirrors indeed for AM/FM only and not for the GPS, like 8AVGMPG indicated? In that case, I need to investigate further.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Your going to need a new CIU I had a few with the same problem entered up a CIU to confirm it I swapped out another CIU from a stock car .Has the Nav ever worked ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Harleyguy, just swapped the GPS receiver in the trunk lid with my other car without result.

I have not seen the Nav working on this car, just got it the week.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a CIU?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Thank you Harleyguy, just swapped the GPS receiver in the trunk lid with my other car without result.

I have not seen the Nav working on this car, just got it the week.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a CIU?
Its the unit controls the command center the radio and the nav and the AC .Its behind the glove box actually very easy to remove

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I will check this. Could be the connection of the GPS signal cable to the CIU.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
OK I will check this. Could be the connection of the GPS signal cable to the CIU.
I hate to say so but I don't think so i've seen this problem before and it was a bad CIU .The glove box has to be removed in order to check the connections .

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Tell the dealer to swap the CIU out of one they have in stock if you still have a dealer to go too . If the car is that new and didn't work from the day it was delivered they should do that warranty or not .I would for sure you own two Karma's

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts

Curious - why do you own two IDENTICAL Karmas?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tell the dealer to swap the CIU out of one they have in stock if you still have a dealer to go too . If the car is that new and didn't work from the day it was delivered they should do that warranty or not .I would for sure you own two Karma's
There are a couple of other things to check before replacing the CIU is warranted.

1) On the touch screen, press & hold the SYSTEM button for ~8 seconds and release. A new menu should pop up showing software versions: HOST NAV VIP.

If the "NAV" version shows 0.00 then your dealer needs to reflash the NAV to the CIU.

2) There are multiple inline coaxial (FAKRA) connectors between the CIU & GPS antenna. Valmet sucks at connecting these and often damaged them.

Some of the locations are: Behind the passenger side lower kick panel, underneath the center console, behind the rear seat, and underneath the trunk lid (there is one about 3-4 ft after the antenna) and at the CIU itself). It should be a blue FAKRA connector and will be separate from the main wiring harnesses. You'll want to look for a bent pin...usually straightening them out will fix it (if bent).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some of the locations are: Behind the passenger side lower kick panel, underneath the center console, behind the rear seat, and underneath the trunk lid (there is one about 3-4 ft after the antenna) and at the CIU itself). It should be a blue FAKRA connector and will be separate from the main wiring harnesses. You'll want to look for a bent pin...usually straightening them out will fix it (if bent).
This is where the service manual or PDF would coming handy for some basic troubleshoot. Does anyone have a PDF that can be shared with the owners if the owners sign a waiver of injury liability, especially regarding the high voltage part of the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Harleyguy, you were right, I swapped the unit from my other car, and it is working now!

Challenge that remains is to get a replacement unit for the CIU.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious - why do you own two IDENTICAL Karmas?
We are using them to train first responders, the fact that the cars are identical is just coincidence. We got them from Fisker Germany and they are both used demo cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are a couple of other things to check before replacing the CIU is warranted.

1) On the touch screen, press & hold the SYSTEM button for ~8 seconds and release. A new menu should pop up showing software versions: HOST NAV VIP.

If the "NAV" version shows 0.00 then your dealer needs to reflash the NAV to the CIU.

2) There are multiple inline coaxial (FAKRA) connectors between the CIU & GPS antenna. Valmet sucks at connecting these and often damaged them.

Thank you, I checked all connections and they are fine. After swapping the CIU with our other car it worked. I assumed the CIU was defect however after reading your post I will check the NAV version now, maybe it is just a matter of reflashing the NAV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, I checked all connections and they are fine. After swapping the CIU with our other car it worked. I assumed the CIU was defect however after reading your post I will check the NAV version now, maybe it is just a matter of reflashing the NAV.
The NAV version is indeed 00.00.00! So I will contact the dealer to see if they can flash the NAV software to get it fixed. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
This is what I love about the Fiskerbuzz! One of us has an issue, and those with knowledge offer their support. It is a terrific community!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts