913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2012, shortly after I first got my Karma, I had this happen once:

- get in car
- press start button to go to accessory mode
- foot onto brake, press start button again to start
- green "READY" word appears but flashes
- grey "STEALTH" never appears

I called Fisker back then and they had me cycle the car off and restart, and the problem vanished.

Today, it recurred when I was leaving from the dentist (not a great time to have it occur). This time, shutting off the car, waiting a bit, and re-starting did not help.

I called Pat's Garage in SF (local certified Karma Automotive service center), and they suggested using the "hard reset" cold-boot. It took two tries here (I think I didn't wait long enough on the first one) but that did actually correct everything and I was able to drive home normally.

Since I signed up for the extended warranty months ago, I'm planning to take the car over to Pat's soon (depending on when they have time to do all the drive train stuff—the original intent was to do it in August but family things came up). I am not sure if that involves anything to do with the contactors, though.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It is a common occurrence with 535 I have had to advise many owners about hard reset. It's happened to my own car a couple of times. I have Sent data to Karma about this but no resolution yet. It does set main contactor fault codes but it's not faulty contactors likely a data bus message collision. Haven't been able to pattern what causes it. But I figured that was their job not mine ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
To me, it happens more often in the past weeks.
It's annoying and
I'm currently in the process of selecting hardware to do a 10s 12V disconnect remotely from the drivers seat... sure, with 1 or 2 "really?" acknowledges...

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Same down here plenty of flashing ready lights after 535 . If I had to guess at this point Karma Automotive will only suggest to remove 535 forget about a software fix.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Then we will miss cell balancing again...
So next hint would be going down to 520 ...

Then they would obsolete everything, they fixed over the past month...

I wouldn't expect them to do this.
I think, they do the stork on 535.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a common occurrence with 535 I have had to advise many owners about hard reset. It's happened to my own car a couple of times. I have Sent data to Karma about this but no resolution yet. It does set main contactor fault codes but it's not faulty contactors likely a data bus message collision. Haven't been able to pattern what causes it. But I figured that was their job not mine ;)
Ugh. Another reason it would be great if they would release the source code. Stick it on GitHub as abandonware? :s

·
Registered
536 Posts
Unfortunately there are a lot of threads on this, but it's worth bumping this one also for the references to other threads in the post above by PowerSource, and to add my own "first-in-4-years" need to do a hard reset, not-coincidentally with 535 installed.

I've written KA to ask if they plan to fix 535 or come to terms with someone else (powersource) if they are NOT willing to fix it themselves, and I encourage any other 2012 owner experiencing problems with 535 to do the same.

Do the pros of 535 outweigh the costs of reverting to an earlier version?
If so, is 520 the best (or only) alternative?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Unfortunately there are a lot of threads on this, but it's worth bumping this one also for the references to other threads in the post above by PowerSource, and to add my own "first-in-4-years" need to do a hard reset, not-coincidentally with 535 installed.

I've written KA to ask if they plan to fix 535 or come to terms with someone else (powersource) if they are NOT willing to fix it themselves, and I encourage any other 2012 owner experiencing problems with 535 to do the same.

Do the pros of 535 outweigh the costs of reverting to an earlier version?
If so, is 520 the best (or only) alternative?
I have been running 520 for over a year now without any problems (knocking on reclaimed wood) and have not felt the urge to upgrade to 53X. There is nothing in the 53X that is worth risking the health of my HV battery, IMHO. Seems pretty risky, if you ask me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have been running 520 for over a year now without any problems (knocking on reclaimed wood) and have not felt the urge to upgrade to 53X. There is nothing in the 53X that is worth risking the health of my HV battery, IMHO. Seems pretty risky, if you ask me.
One owner's experience during the last 4 months: New KA-certified battery plus 535 update = no problems (so far.) This is the longest period in 4 years of ownership where I no longer knock on reclaimed wood before pressing START.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Today, I got my 5th blinking Ready, this week.
I start to hate it.

Again, it appeared while people are waiting for me to drive away... really disturbing and for real no good impression to people who have showed interests in the car a few minutes before.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Today, I got my 5th blinking Ready, this week.
I start to hate it.

Again, it appeared while people are waiting for me to drive away... really disturbing and for real no good impression to people who have showed interests in the car a few minutes before.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Not to make you a case study here but I'm looking to gather data on this issue and most of my customers experience with this is once or twice. Assuming you are running 535 version? Also do you get in the car and press the brake and go straight to "READY" (green start/stop button) or do you enter the vehicle and wait for everything to boot up in "ACC" mode first before pressing brake and going to READY. If you don't wait try doing the latter procedure. Trying to see if this issuE has a pattern or is a timing issue on "wake up".
Your feedback is appreciated so I can forward it to Karma engineers. Believe it or not they do want to figure this out and have been asking me for help.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Is Karma going to release a fix for this? they have said they are done with further updates for the 2012 vehicles. The issue is pretty simple, it is not a message timing issue but related to the APM and the manner in which it communicates with the BECM. The BECM clock is the issue....

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Is Karma going to release a fix for this? they have said they are done with further updates for the 2012 vehicles. The issue is pretty simple, it is not a message timing issue but related to the APM and the manner in which it communicates with the BECM. The BECM clock is the issue....
Say what? :huh:

BECM does? In simple terms, that means there is the potential for faulty communication between these 2 pieces and it causes the car to not start. Would that be it?

The fix is 520 rollback because? OR Hard reset. Is that what we are saying?

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Hard reset gets the car running. 520 rollback is the only thing to prevent it from occurring.
is this likely to occur on all 53x updates? is there any prevention that can be by how we start the car or anything we can do to prevent it if we made the leap to 53x ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not to make you a case study here but I'm looking to gather data on this issue and most of my customers experience with this is once or twice. Assuming you are running 535 version? Also do you get in the car and press the brake and go straight to "READY" (green start/stop button) or do you enter the vehicle and wait for everything to boot up in "ACC" mode first before pressing brake and going to READY. If you don't wait try doing the latter procedure. Trying to see if this issuE has a pattern or is a timing issue on "wake up".

Your feedback is appreciated so I can forward it to Karma engineers. Believe it or not they do want to figure this out and have been asking me for help.

Hi Joe,
thanks for gathering these information.

I always go into the car, press brake, press START and drive away... often before Karma has finishes the displays ...

I will give it e few more seconds in the next weeks... maybe it's getting better.

Stefan

·
Registered
859 Posts
I generally go straight to READY without issues. (I'm running 535.) However, I did get my first flashing READY light on Christmas Day. The reason for the light seems rather strange.

The day before (Christmas Eve) I accidentally pushed the gas filler door button instead of the trunk. I was in a hurry and when I closed the filler door I didn't fully latch it. So it sat that way for 24 hours. The next day, my wife and I were headed out of town. When I pressed START, I got a flashing READY light, dinging sounds, a CEL, the red out-of-fuel alert, and the filler door open warning. Although the car showed 50 miles of EV range, it would not get out of PARK.

First thing I did was try to manually open the filler door so I could check the sensor switch. I could not open the door. But it had about 1/8 in of play so I firmly closed it and then pressed the open button. Nothing. The panel was still lit up like a Christmas tree and the car remained immobilized. I waited a few minutes for a soft reset. Didn't work. We were running late so we took the other car and I figured I would try a hard reset upon returning home.

We were back the next day and although a CEL and the filler door open light remained, the car was no longer immobilized. My scanner showed 9 error codes. I cleared the codes and the CEL disappeared. I opened the filler door using the cabin button, which now functioned, and saw that the switch was back slightly from its mount. The instant Gorilla glue some of us have used to seat the switch had become brittle.

This time I used a short strip of Lexel (http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/) to reinforce the instant glue, which is still a good way to quickly get the switch seated using the old through-the-trunk access trick.

So far, everything has been normal.

Apparently, an open filler door (even slightly) that stays that way for a period of time, tells the Karma that it's completely out of fuel (it wasn't), which in turn immobilizes the car and deactivates the filler door switch as well.

I don't know if this is a 535 issue, but I'm mentioning it since a slightly loose filler door switch, which is not at all uncommon, can leave one stranded until the car is reset.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts