Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to pickup on the clicking noise coming from the front wheels - in particular at low speeds when turning. The symptoms point to the problem with lug nuts which I understand is easy enough to fix.

Question I have is besides it being slightly annoying - is it actually something that requires fixing or can I just "live with it"?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are you asking if you decide to "live with it" is there a possibility of a catastrophic failure? I would say no. You can google Cadillac CTS wheel clicking problem and do some more research on it if you really wanted to though. Just note the Cadillac's fix is slightly different than Fiskers fix.

The lug nuts are readily available and are even a GM part if im not mistaken. I'd have to dig around for the GM P/N though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sandy Eggo, I took the tire off & didn't see any signs of wear, & understand the lug nut issues. However, I'd hate for you to "represent" the Karma with that clicking as the main noise coming from a silent EV. You won't even need an autolift or car jack, just manually tightened down the lug nuts like I ended up doing (I did not purchase the new replacements). 2k miles later, i have no clicking still... Karma's should be seen & not heard ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
To clarify, the noise comes from the wheel hub and rotor mating surfaces, not the actual lug nuts.

You can either remove the wheel, clean the mating surfaces & apply anti seize compound & reinstall w/regular lug nuts (220 ft/lbs)

or

Just install the updated lug nuts (no anti seize on wheel hub/rotor surface) (220 ft/lbs).

Neither are permanent solutions although the lug nuts will prevent the clicking noise for a longer amount of time. Search my posts as I've gone into more detail in other threads.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cool. Thanks for the input. Yeah, I think I'll just try re-torquing the nuts. I've got a big-ole torque wrench, might as well put it to good use.

I've read several times that the correct torque is 160 ft/lbs. I suppose I could read the manual to confirm but since it's a big difference from 160 to 220 - would like to clear that up for future reference.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Curse you, metric system !! :)
Actually I feel we should curse the English system. We are the only major industrialized country left that hasn't gone metric. I figure it's probably because our politicians couldn't deal with the change. And in reality we're currently about half way there. That fact cost us a satellite which crashed into Mars due to a misunderstanding of metric vs English.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Actually I feel we should curse the English system. We are the only major industrialized country left that hasn't gone metric. I figure it's probably because our politicians couldn't deal with the change. And in reality we're currently about half way there. That fact cost us a satellite which crashed into Mars due to a misunderstanding of metric vs English.
We're just suckers for tradition :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts