Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The typical charging station comes with an 18'' cable, which depending on the location of the charging station may make it difficult to plug your car in without putting a lot of tension on the connector. I even have a hard time in my own garage if I back my car in because the 18'' cable is barely long enough to reach across the garage to the Karma's charging port. So recently I tried to find a J1772 extension cord, and to my surprise, I found a company that makes them to order. Here is the one they made for me:

It consists of a J1772 port connected via a 20 foot 45A rated cable to J1772 connector. You just plug the connector from the charging station into the port and then plug the connector into your car. It's pretty pricey, this one cost $350, but if you are constantly struggling with the heavy cable trying to reach the charging port on the Karma, it would be a very convenient option to have available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice! Are you at liberty to post the company's name?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fisker579 said:
Nice! Are you at liberty to post the company's name?
The company I ordered mine from is Tuscon EV. Their website only shows the components but they will make an extension cable on request for the cost of the components plus shipping. It's pricey, but very very convenient IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually got to use the extension cable for the first time yesterday. I parked at the 5th and Mission garage in San Francisco where they have a bank of electric chargers available for free use. For the first time, I did not have to precariously back my car in to allow the charging connector to reach the charging port in my car. I don't think I will need to use it a lot, but it is nice to have it when it is needed.

Sorry, but the lighting was not ideal. You can see the extension cable running past the front driver side tire going back towards the charging port. There was plenty of slack in the cable, which is why I tucked it under the car to avoid having people tripping on it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
J1772 Extension

I recently had to move my Karma to the other side of the garage and completely away from the 220 outlet and my wall charger. This created a problem in that my existing 15' cable won't reach the car's charging port. Rather than rewire the garage and re-locate the charger, I opted for a 20-foot cable extension.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

The extension works great, doesn't affect charging time, and has the added benefit of being portable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts