Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i drove my karma in sportmode. The batteries was still being used until it came to 43km left (around 50%) , then it stopped.

I guess this is supposed to be like this?
its annoying if you want to save the batteries.
I guess the karma is using less fuel then?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Michael said:
today i drove my karma in sportmode. The batteries was still being used until it came to 43km left (around 50%) , then it stopped.

Michael: This is normal and designed behavior.

Sport mode with battery above 50% gives you full performance by allowing the car to use both the battery and the generator together to provide up to 300KW to the motors.

Sport mode with battery below 50% uses the generator primarily and preserves the battery charge for use when you switch back to Stealth mode.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so to use the full 403 horsepowers you need over 50% batterycapacity?

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Michael said:
Yes, because neither the battery nor the ICE are individually capable of supplying 403 hp.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Michael said:

Michael,

Yes, this is intentional behavior. There are quite a few posts on this forum discussing the nuances of how Sport and Stealth work, for example, this one:

http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-1-1-driven-battery-miles?pid=16547#pid16547

Brent

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,
I have read the posts now.
Next time i drive on the highway i will use stealth directly, i dont se the need for me to have
the full 403hp using cruisecontrol on the highway:)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Michael said:
Thanks,
Next time i drive on the highway i will use stealth directly, i dont se the need for me to have
Sometimes it is helpful to run the ICE in the middle of a journey and use the battery towards the end to allow the engine to cool down before you plug the car in to recharge it.

My daily commute requires about 7-10 miles of range extension and I do that right when the range drops to around 24-20 Miles. This lets me have the gas engine off for the last 15 minutes of the trip to allow it to cool off before I plug it in at the office.

This way the fans are never running by the time I pull into the charging spot and I don't have to wait for them to stop to start charging the car. Of course, this only works if you know exactly how many ICE miles you would need during your journey. If you are not sure, it's just best to let the car handle it.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
dennis said:
Michael said:
Yes, because neither the battery nor the ICE are individually capable of supplying 403 hp.
Dennis

Has this been confirmed? My understanding was that when in Sport mode, you always get the 403hp since during peak acceleration, the Karma 'borrows' power from the battery to accelerate (and couples it with juice from the ICE)... and then when less power is required, the ICE 'pays back' the 'borrowed' energy from the battery. In my own driving, I notice when I'm at say 20 miles of electric only range and in Sport mode, if I accelerate onto the freeway by mashing the pedal, my battery range will drop by 1 or 2 miles and then slowly be replenished. Would be great if Fisker (maybe Horvat) could confirm that this understanding is indeed accurate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't remember who recommended it, but since I have started turning off the A/C before turning off the vehicle, I don't have to worry about the fans running anymore.

I always back into my garage, so I just turn off the A/C when I shift into reverse. I can then get out, anI can immediately plug in and start charging with no problems. For me, this works even when I am in sport mode when I shut down.

Ed

Fabulist said:
Michael said:
Thanks,
Sometimes it is helpful to run the ICE in the middle of a journey and use the battery towards the end to allow the engine to cool down before you plug the car in to recharge it.

My daily commute requires about 7-10 miles of range extension and I do that right when the range drops to around 24-20 Miles. This lets me have the gas engine off for the last 15 minutes of the trip to allow it to cool off before I plug it in at the office.

This way the fans are never running by the time I pull into the charging spot and I don't have to wait for them to stop to start charging the car. Of course, this only works if you know exactly how many ICE miles you would need during your journey. If you are not sure, it's just best to let the car handle it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts