Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys, here are some photos of the main issues I have with my Karma's fit and finish. Curious on your thoughts (especially those of you who have Karmas now).

The passenger seat. Looked a little more crumpled than the one in the demo. What do you guys think? Should I ask Fisker to fix/replace?

Rear bumper panel gap

Trunk

Paint - the infamous "orange peel"

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian, my VIN is only a few spots behind yours.... So probably made within days of each other. Do you have same leather issue?

·
Registered
784 Posts
They save a lot of leather (cowhide) by using also the not quite perfect parts. But this piece looks a bit too rough though. The problem with the alignment of the trunk is a copy of my car. This is something that needs to get fixed and which hopefully can be done fairly easy by adjusting the hinges (I will ask for it when I go back for a software-upgrade in the coming weeks).

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The bumper cover on the right against the fender is similar to mine. Doesn't look pretty, but I have no idea how they can fix it. Your paint looks great. That is less "orange peel" look than on either of my Mercedes and about the same as on the Lambo. Your right side trunk lid can use some adjusting. As for the seat, try some Botox. Seems to work great in California. But, on second thought, ask them to replace/repair/restrech the seat.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
A monotone leather interior looks so different than the Tri-Tone. But as for the leather, I am sure they will tell you that it is the Bridge of Weir use of the whole hide that is attributable to that. I can't remember where, but I saw a piece that had noticable stretch marks on just below the Fisker imprint on the seat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Luckily my car doesn't have any fit and finish issues on the interior. But my exterior looks a lot like yours except with even more. I had seen similar leather issues in preproduction photos, and I was worried about it, but they did a good job with the leather in mine.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Here's some photos of my car taken today at the dealership.

My trunk looks a lot better than most i have seen here, I didn't take any photos of the bumpers but there is a bit of the touching at the tops and then a widening gap as it goes towards the wheel wells. Again, nothing like what I have seen on others. Interior looks great, some small wrinkles, but nothing like SoCal's. Next to last was the BMW parked next to me used as a paint finish comparison to the last photo of my Karma.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kab- your paint finish seems similar to mine, and I note that the wheel well/bumper on yours does seem a little more noticeable (though your trunk seems better fitted than mine). What has your dealer said about the panel fit issues?

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
mars, fixed it. I will bring a real camera next time and get better finish photos, cell is only 1.3 mp, camera is 7.1 mp.[hr]
SoCal, I didn't ask the dealer. I looked at the shot again and I must have caught it at the worst angle, because that is the worst it looks. I will get a detail shot of it along with the higher res finish photos, but simply put, there is nothing the deal could do. The bumper panel touches the fender in some places and gaps in others, it is simply a matter of one being plastic and the other aluminum. The bumper would need completely replaced, but replacing it with another bumper isn't going to fix it, they need to recast the bumper mold for a better fit. Probably something that will be addressed for MY 2013, sorry to say.

·
Registered
435 Posts
the trunk i guess they could fix.

how about rear bumper? as you have written they must make a new mould and will take a while. I dont want to wait for 2013 model.

if i order maybe it would be a good thing to get the fisker dealer confirm they will fix costfree when the new mould is out.

do you think you will notice it so much if the car is black?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was thinking about my trunk issues as well, and decided I probably shouldn't touch it because adjusting the lid will probably make it not latch correctly and that would be worse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Michael said:
the trunk i guess they could fix.

how about rear bumper? as you have written they must make a new mould and will take a while. I dont want to wait for 2013 model.

if i order maybe it would be a good thing to get the fisker dealer confirm they will fix costfree when the new mould is out.

do you think you will notice it so much if the car is black?
Michael, I noticed the rear bumper fit issue on my white car also. The black is the same, maybe not as obvious. It is hard to believe that Henrik, the Karma Designer, would be proud of the fitting. I don't know the solution to this, but I have other fitting issues (windshield seal) that I will bring it up to the dealer next time I am in.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
So guys, here are some photos of the main issues I have with my Karma's fit and finish. Curious on your thoughts (especially those of you who have Karmas now).

The passenger seat. Looked a little more crumpled than the one in the demo. What do you guys think? Should I ask Fisker to fix/replace?

What do you guys think?
Regarding the seat, IMHO, fixing the leather is not really worth the trouble since you are sitting on it and not looking at it very much. I would also be concerned about matching the color exactly if they have to change that panel. If it really bothers you to see it, maybe they can swap that panel with the same panel from the passenger seat directly behind the driver so that you never have to see it. I would just let it be.

-- Fab. [hr]
brian said:
I was thinking about my trunk issues as well, and decided I probably shouldn't touch it because adjusting the lid will probably make it not latch correctly and that would be worse.
Maybe I should ask my dentist brother to see if he can order some Invisilign trays to correct the overbite gradually. :)

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I see plenty of cars that have the bumper alignment issues. It is rather difficult to have plastic marry up with aluminum just right. Plus, considering what some of the car reviews said when the thing gets out in the heat, those plastic bumpers might warp again and all that was wasted for nothing. Seeing as this is my first 100K+ car I guess I am too easy on them. I still think a lot of the orange peel effect is due to the high percentage of glass flake in the paint. It is clear that there are some differences in its application that makes it look better or worse.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just saw the close up picture from the Harrod's display... it appears this also has a panel fit issue, albeit less severe than mine:

and this Karma demo:

and this one:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts