Fisker Buzz Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Fisker Article

11K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  betch23 
#1 ·
My hope is that this will benefit you all in someway or another when it is published.

The Truth about ?The New Fisker? article by Robert R. Betcher

After about a year of research, I decided to buy a Fisker. It was a well thought out decision, where all was to be made right by the buyout of Fisker by Wanxiang.

However, take this as a warning to those of you considering the purchase of a New or Used Fisker. There is little to no support offered by the New Fisker. This company wants to strategically purchase all that is good about Fisker while not offering any warranty support for issues and problems plaguing the current Fisker owners.

How do I know about ?The New Fisker?? My first experience was when I reached out concerning the numerous .exe errors appearing on my primary computer screen within the vehicle in which they refer to as the CIU. I asked very direct questions about why I was receiving these numerous Windows Operating system errors? Yes, you heard correctly, they did not build on a Linux platform or build a Native proprietary system, but built on Windows.

Even after asking numerous questions surrounding the current architecture of the CIU and future architecture of the CIU, I still did not get a straight answer. This left me gravely concerned that not only are they not going to address these looming defects in their CIU architecture for current Fisker owners, but there was no mention on fixing these issues in the future. I am not sure their lack of response left me concerned or the lack of mentioning one proactive step to resolve these issues gave me reason to worry. So, in a nutshell, there is a good chance that Fisker owners, new and old will be dealing with many computer issues surrounding the operation of their vehicle, ultimately leaving them stranded 100+ miles from the nearest service center.

Don?t believe that a Fisker can be left stranded hundreds of miles from a service center? Well, let me tell you my experience when the rear end of my Fisker Karma completely blew out. I was driving through New York when I heard a horrible screeching coming from the rear end of my vehicle. The metal on metal grinding was almost deafening. Suddenly, my car losses all power on one of the most busy interstates in New York. Thankfully, I was able to cruise to one of the least savory neighborhoods in New York, where I stuck out like a sore thumb. 3 hours later, and luckily not mugged or carjacked, I was able to have a tow truck pick up my vehicle and tow it to the nearest Fisker Service Center 100+ miles away for just under $400.

After the technician at the Service Center inspected my vehicle, he determined that I would need to replace many of the parts on the rear transaxle of my Fisker for upwards of $20K. However, if I want to look into some 3rd party options, I can have the rear end or RDU rebuilt for $8500.00, whereby Fisker will reimburse $2000. So, with tax, parts and labor the total will be closer to $10K to fix the rear end of the vehicle.

This is just one of the possible areas where Fisker owners may have to pay exorbitant costs to keep their low mileage Fisker running. There are still issues reported with batteries, power inverters and many other high dollar components.
Now many of you who are thinking about a new Fisker, and might be saying to yourself, ?it is okay, the New Fisker will warranty my vehicle.? Really? The same way they warrantied the current Fisker owners? What will keep them from declaring insolvency and selling the company to avoid warranty work?

In the end, if there is a consideration to purchase a Fisker, then I would urge potential owners to learn from my experience and look to other options.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

Out of curiousity, how many of you service Fiskers?

PS I had countless emails to the New Fisker about the CIU and had to get my information from someone who worked directly with Fisker on the GPS about the OS.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
None of them? Are you positive? None responded.

Thank you for your response; and glad that you have had such a great experience.

Seems to be quite a different experience than mine. Would have liked to had your same experience.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Thats great, I am happy for how long you have been on.

But I think we should let them speak for themselves. They all were all willing to be very vocal, so let's let them speak for themselves.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thank you but I beleive firmly in Corporate responsibility; the good and the bad, even if bankruptcy occurred.

Throughout all of these posts, I have heard blame thrown toward the old Fisker and the old suppliers. The long and short of it all is when the investors bought Fisker they were aware of the issues. When you buy a company you don't just take the good and not honor the bad; business ethics 101.

My belief is that we all should expect the New Fisker to honor the bad and not just capatilize on the good. While some may be okay with being used in this manner, I don't feel comfortable with usery.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
BTW Fabulist, it is "usury" not "usary". I unfortunately type on my phone which results in typos often due to multi tasking.

Also, you may want to look at this portion of your post: "acquaintence with the cioncept", while you are correcting other's posts.

In the end, while I see many of your points and commend each and every one of you who used intelligence, unbiased opinions and forethought; I believe that there should be a better solution on the part of New Fisker. If you disagree, then pay out all your hard earned money to them. It is really your choice.

If it were me, and I purchased the company, I would issue a recall on specific defective items and make it right. But maybe I think much differently than the rest and try to make ethical decisions.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I can see part of your point Fisker Philly, but buying a company entails the good and the bad. As I mentioned prior, I believe there needs to be some form of copability on the New company. If they are taking the benefit of the old designs, the lessons learned from the prototyping and the supply chain artifacts, then in fairness there should be some reaponsibility taken.

Personally, offering $2k to $5k reimbursement(which why there is a difference between the two, escapes me) does not come remotely close to the $10k-$20k in defective drive train parts.

In my humble opinion, why wouldn't the new company go back to the parts manufacturer and pursue a recall, especially if they are still using their parts?

Again, I would handle this much differently because whether I did or did not buy the company out of Bankruptcy, I believe customers come first and there would be no Fisker without them. I would have long term strategy in place to deal with such issues because it is the ethical decision; a decision that would not entail reimbursing pennies on the dollars.

This maybe why I am not in the Car business because I would stay up all night to figure out how to make this right, even to those of you who that have been less than pleasant.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I agree and disagree Antonin.

After years of witnessing sophisticated shuffling and reorganizations of companies, I see this issue haunting Fisker owners in the future. It is concerning that the parts blowing up are from the same location as the parent company...Not sure if that is or is not coincidence.

However, to yourself and those genuine individuals, who were informative and kind, my sincerest Thank You to all.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Thank you LonePalmBJ, but I was under the impression that the thread was closed the last time I posted. It appears that many individuals like yourself want to keep this discussion alive, so I will be glad to do so until the last post.

Before I purchased, I asked many questions about the Karma, and guess how many mentioned the RDM and Chineses parts? You guessed it, zero.

I am not sure the rationale but anyone who would like to mention no ethical copability in the New Fisker (please note that their name is still Fisker), then send me $10k for a warranty that I will turn over to an overseas subsidiary.

For those of you without an ulterior motive, please disregard this post; the last thing I want to do is offend good decent people.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
My Apologies LonePalmBj, my last post got cut off.

Let's say my Network Security /Penetration Testing Department of my Company sells you a contact. Then we go out of business. However, we sell the business in bankruptcy to another company, who received all accounts and assets. Do they have no responsibility? If so, then there is not an insurance company on the planet who will sell another Bond.

I have heard many opinions which I think is fantastic and great about these forums; everyone has a right to express themselves. Many feel that I am wrong and many feel I am right. Personally, I look to do business with individuals willing to stay out of the gray/ grey areas and into the white areas.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
SC Karma, you still did not answer the questions, but since you are an expert on bankruptcy proceedings, please tell me your background.

BTW, in my line of work, I have not had to sue someone. Please IM me your personal email address and I will be glad to continue this discussion. Thank you for your response.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Intersting Fabulist, since the forum was not open to non owners. When it finally opened to non owners, I asked about looming issues, under my first account.

In addition, I contacted former owners and spent hours on this forum and google to uncover any issues.

So, what would you have done as an expert in research? Please tell me a little about your background since you feel so inclined to comment on others.

BTW, feel free to IM your personal email address and I will be glad to continue this discussion that you would like to perpetuate. Thank you.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I could not agree more FiskerZee, Henrick Fisker did a great job with the design.

Unfortunately, the current and looming mechanical issues are concerning. Thanks for the post.

Discussion starter · #41 ·
Thank you for your post Fabulist and your excellent spelling.

As mentioned prior please feel free to forward your personal email.

And per Nin jas request anyone wishing to respond, even poorly like Fabulist, I am more than willing to discuss this offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.