Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our first gas-free drive today to the store. After fiddling with the settings all morning, my 13-year-old and I got in the car, pushed the start button with my foot on the brake, and heard a "thunk." It was an electronic "thunk", but a "thunk" nonetheless. We looked at each other, each of us mouthing, "Oh shit..." (he said 'crap'), but the "Agree" came on as normal. And then suddenly, everything went dark.
So I pushed it again.
This time all came up normal after touching "agree", but I waited a solid 60 seconds before doing so.
All my radio presets were gone, same for satellite. We headed out to the street, where he asked how fast I was going. I looked and said, "Woah, I don't know, it's says zero."
"But Dad, we're moving, it can't be zero, duh..."
After rolling my eyes, I finally realized that not only do I have a sarcastic 13-year-old, but I just had my first real Fisker Glitch.
But on the plus side, it came back after locking it to go shopping and then restarting. Even better, was that we went about 17 miles round trip, and used about 19 miles of battery charge in the process, thus not using a single drop of gas.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is cool.
Oh yeah, and it still says we're getting 409 MPG...

·
Registered
435 Posts
how hard can it be or fisker fixing the speedo. cant they get suied for this if some accident happens.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Had this happen to me again today. I thought it was financially dangerous too (matrix) so my troubleshooting Maintenance Test Pilot part of me kicked in. Is it an indication (display) problem or a signal transmission (source or wiring from) problem.

I got to a speed I thought was appropriate and engaged the cruise control. Bam, The two little triangles appeared at about 50 mph (I was shooting for 60 mph). I used the toggle to + up my speed to 60 mph and cruised marrily along. Not an ideal situation, but it could get one to where one needs to go safely without a complete reboot. Also, monitoring the KW on the Energy Flow screen and knowing the slope of the terrain can help give an approximation of speed.

So, back to the original issue, the speedometer sensor is transmitting data just fine, otherwise the cruise control wouldn't know what to do, it is simply an issue of the dash not displaying the speedo sweep.

·
Registered
913 Posts
kabalah70 said:
So, back to the original issue, the speedometer sensor is transmitting data just fine, otherwise the cruise control wouldn't know what to do, it is simply an issue of the dash not displaying the speedo sweep.
Right. This indicates that the dashboard display never got the "go into normal display mode" command. It's probably just sent once and there's no ACK-or-retry protocol built over the simple CAN-bus "go into display mode" command, even though there should be.

I can see roughly half a dozen different ways to attack and fix the problem, with different constraints and tradeoffs, but since I don't know enough about the "car CAN bus ecosystem" as it were, I have no idea which one(s) would be best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts