Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been following this forum for quite some time and trying to learn all I can about the Karma. I fell in love with the car in 2013 when visiting family in California and stumbling across one that was for sale across the street from the Bentley dealership in La Jolla. I had my husband take a picture of me next to the silver beauty and told him that I would own one some day. Well, nearly 3 1/2 years later that day has come. I purchased the car today (I test drove it Saturday and did a little research on the vehicle over the last couple of days) and it will arrive to me on Thursday. It is located about 2 1/2 hours from me.

I am aware that there are many things can go wrong with the Karma and I took all of that into consideration before deciding to purchase this car. Unfortunately there is not a CSF in my area. I do know that Fisker of Cherry Hill is the closest CSF and I plan to make a trip in the very near future to have them take a look at my new car to help me better understand the car and any updates/repairs that the car may be in need of.

Having read on here many many times that the cars to roll off the line early are to be avoided, I went and broke that rule and I purchased one of the dreaded early cars (#62) so I am really just praying that it does not end up with any major issues.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or tips to share for the beginning days with a new owner I would really greatly appreciate it. Anything you wish you had known or would have made you getting to know your car easier in the beginning?
I really have been attentive to this forum for over a year gathering info, reading and trying to better understand the Karma. Even though I went against what most wisdom on here stated in regards to the production# I really want this car to be THE car I hold onto for a very long time and I want to do what is necessary to see that through. I truly am in love with these cars and I feel so thankful and privileged to be in this exclusive owner's "club" of what I consider to be one of the coolest cars in the world!

Best,
Jessica
2012 Fisker Karma Collector's Edition

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Looking forward to helping you get through the initial inspection of it. Hope you did well on the purchase. Wish you had the opportunity to look at our Certified Signature #87 with the warranty and upgrades ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, FiskerPhilly! Yes, we did very well on the car which is what made us take the leap. I am anxious to have you check it out for us and will be in touch soon.

Also, can I get it "certified" and purchase a warranty on the car? I wasn't sure if that was possible after purchasing or not.

Thanks!
Jessica

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for posting pictures without prompting - you really DO read the board ;)

I wouldn't be super-overly concerned with your car number being low - that's not as critical as you may have been led to believe. Also your car is a "signature series" being in the first 100, so take care of it as a collectable.

Words of wisdom for first days of ownership (other than having FPhilly look it over, which I'd highly endorse): until you get used to the ultra-low clearance in the front, BACK into parking spots (not only is the car very low, it's also much further in front of you than you think, and there is no "beep" to warn you). In fact, I'd recommend you put a soft bucket or something on the street, and practice pulling up to it to see just how easy it is to get too close.

The other danger area to protect are the rims. Again this just takes getting used to, so in the initial days take care to allow extra space for turning in parking garages, or parallel parking, etc.

Do you have a charger at home? Because that rinky dink one the car comes with is probably broken already, and even if it works it works very slowly, so I'd look into getting a level II soon if not done already.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@yoursupergirl, Welcome to the community and nice job with your purchase. You made an excellent decision to work with @FiskerPhilly to give your car its post-purchase checkup. Here are a couple of tips from my experience over the last 4.5 years:

1. Start up Gently: A number of computers have to boot up when you start your Karma and some take a little longer than others. I have found that everything works better when you give the car enough time to fully wake up before setting off. That means waiting for the main screen to start up and to give you the option to hit "Agree", then pushing Agree and waiting for the A/C screen to come up before putting the car in "D" and setting off. This takes a lot longer to describe than it actually takes to do and we are talking about seconds here, but waiting a few seconds for the car to get fully started up makes for a much better experience.
  2. Use the Parking Brake on any Incline: The car is very heavy and when you park it on a slope, even a fairly gentle one, the weight puts a lot of force on the device that immobilizes the car when you put it in "P" (aka the Parking Pawl). To protect the life of that system, when I park my car on anything other than perfectly flat ground, I come to a full stop, with my foot still on the brake and the car in "D", I apply the parking brake, and then put the car in "P" and gently release the brake pedal. If you fail to do this, the car reminds you by rolling down the slope for an inch or two and coming to a stop with a heart-stopping THUNK!. While the Pawl is substantial piece of metal, you really don't want to hear that Thunk very often.
  3. Shut Down Gently: When you want to charge your car, wait for the car to go to sleep (PRNDL lights go out and mirrors fold) before plugging in the charger. This wait was required by an issue with an older version of the Karma software which has since been fixed and is no longer required. But in my experience, the car seems to charge more consistently and there are far fewer disconnects when I wait for the car to go to sleep before plugging it in. Again, we are talking about waiting less than a minute after parking the car and is well worth it, IMHO.
  4. Turn Down the Volume: The Bluetooth speakerphone feature in the Karma is not very good, unfortunately. For best sound quality, turn down the volume on your phone as low as you can without muting it and control the volume with the car's volume control.

Also, you should be prepared to act as the press secretary for the car because you will be besieged with questions and comments about the car whenever you park it or even from pedestrians crossing in front of you when you are waiting at a red light.

Wishing you good Karma and Happy Driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and your very valuable info! I am really enjoying the car (like literally had tears in my eyes the first few hours of driving it.....I can't get over how much I LOVE this car!).
However, today I had a bit of a scare while driving it....already :(

I had a message come up on my screen on the dash that read"reduced performance contact service center" and where the car usually says "Stealth" or "Sport" it says ACC. I have attached a pic.

The only thing I did that I hadn't yet was plug my phone charger into the car and I had plugged the actual car in for the first time since getting it with the 110 volt charger that came with it (my Clipper Creek wall charger is on its way).

The car had run out of battery and I had been runnnng it earlier in the day on the generator. Everything was fine but I plugged it in when I returned home to see how much charge I could get.

I don't know if I did something wrong in either of those actions but I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Since I have only had the car about 1 day I am sad this is happening but I just can't wait to get back out there and enjoy my Karma! I have plans to take her to FiskerPhilly as soon as I can, but until then not sure what to do?!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Generator stalled out most likely. In any case I see the HV battery went into the red...not good. If you ever see that message pull over immediately and shut it down fully (soft reset) until PRND lights go out on gear selector. Then restart it. You will likely get a check engine light a cycle or two later but try to avoid disconnecting the 12v (hard reset ) as I will lose all data stored to help me figure out what happened.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, FiskerPhilly. I did turn the car back on and the battery has a little charge (been on the 110 about an hour) and the error message is gone, but the check engine light is still on.
I am heading out of town this weekend and had planned to try and get the car to you maybe in the coming week. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get it sent out. I have a hauler I could call to do it. Ill try to call and touch base with you today or tomorrow and see what we can work out. I really want to know that my Karma is well and ready to drive ASAP.
Thanks!

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and your very valuable info! I am really enjoying the car (like literally had tears in my eyes the first few hours of driving it.....I can't get over how much I LOVE this car!).
However, today I had a bit of a scare while driving it....already :(

I had a message come up on my screen on the dash that read"reduced performance contact service center" and where the car usually says "Stealth" or "Sport" it says ACC. I have attached a pic.

The only thing I did that I hadn't yet was plug my phone charger into the car and I had plugged the actual car in for the first time since getting it with the 110 volt charger that came with it (my Clipper Creek wall charger is on its way).

The car had run out of battery and I had been runnnng it earlier in the day on the generator. Everything was fine but I plugged it in when I returned home to see how much charge I could get.

I don't know if I did something wrong in either of those actions but I am not sure what to do.
Any suggestions?
Since I have only had the car about 1 day I am sad this is happening but I just can't wait to get back out there and enjoy my Karma! I have plans to take her to FiskerPhilly as soon as I can, but until then not sure what to do?!
You should turn the vehicle off before plugging it in by pressing the "EVER" button.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Your check engine light may go out after 4 starts/shutdowns. Many of the warnings do. Fab's list above is right. It's exactly how I treat my baby. One more suggestion:

If you are going to drive enough you know you'll use gas -- go into sport mode as soon as you get down to 27 stealth miles, and wait until you're within that distance from home to use your last EV miles. If you drive your car down to 0 (which is really 15% State Of Charge for the battery) before you engage the ICE, and are running the A/C and start accelerating up a hill -- you can push your battery below that 15% minimum safety level - which is when that light comes on. If you see your battery light go red instead of white -- pull over, but keep the engine running and give the generator a chance to put some life back into your battery. But, if you keep your battery around 50% for most of your drive until you're nearing home, you'll prevent these problems (or at least limit them to when you're almost home anyway).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@yoursupergirl, Bumping the thread to see if you got the car working. Did you have @FiskerPhilly look at it? Just checking in.
Hey - I haven't been able to speak with FiskerPhilly. Joe and I can't seem to connect via phone...have left another message but it's been a couple of days so I think he is really busy. I did get a hold of two other CSP (one in IL and one in Michigan) that are actually closer to me (I'm in Ohio). They were super quick to respond and I did speak to the guy in Michigan for a while and he gave me some tips that ended up working - at least for now - to take the error code off and get her back up and running normally. All three service providers don't have availability to get me in until next week so I am still trying to decide who to send it to. Does anyone know or have experience with the Illinois or Michigan shop? I plan to ship her off next weekend and have everything brought up to speed so I can enjoy her to the fullest! :)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hey - I haven't been able to speak with FiskerPhilly. Joe and I can't seem to connect via phone...have left another message but it's been a couple of days so I think he is really busy. I did get a hold of two other CSP (one in IL and one in Michigan) that are actually closer to me (I'm in Ohio). They were super quick to respond and I did speak to the guy in Michigan for a while and he gave me some tips that ended up working - at least for now - to take the error code off and get her back up and running normally. All three service providers don't have availability to get me in until next week so I am still trying to decide who to send it to. Does anyone know or have experience with the Illinois or Michigan shop? I plan to ship her off next weekend and have everything brought up to speed so I can enjoy her to the fullest! :)

@yoursupergirl, That's part of the joy and allure of owning a contemporary classic. The car would not be special if you could just get in and get going, where's the sense of ceremony and occasion in that? :D

On a slightly more serious note, my own experience with @FiskerPhilly is that he is very responsive to to email but obviously, it is not always easy for him to crawl out from under a Karma to answer the phone in real time. He also did a lot of work on my car, including major RDM work, and I am very pleased with the work and was more than happy to pay the bill when it came. I fully understand that you want to get the work done quickly and get your beautiful car back, but if the delay is roughly the same with all three options, my suggestion would be to work with Joe.

We all look forward to great news about you and your car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fabulist - thank you for your response. Yes, I am still hoping to speak with Joe before lining anything up. I would like to work with him, but I really wanted to speak with him about transport, etc. With it being double the distance each way I was hoping maybe he knew someone that would be a little cheaper than the guy I had quote me. Shipping the car the Philly would cost a good amount more and I would really rather put those funds towards the car for sure. I am sure he is super busy for good reason :)
I am not really anxious about the work - really looking forward to getting all the info on my car and doing anything she needs. So glad we have a network of professionals to work with and I'm very grateful for all their knowledge!

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Hmm, never had a problem getting in touch with Joe. I usually TXT him or email him. did you try that? The email i use is [email protected] and the number i txt him on is (267) 210-3986 - I usually heard back in less then 4 hours. For solving Fisker issues, Joe is on the top of list for many owners and experience is second to none. You can't go wrong with Joe he earned my trust , my car has never ran better. Do yourself a favor and go with a proven provider that you can count on! my two cents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't get me wrong guys.....Joe had returned my first voicemail. I missed his call and I left him another voicemail. He did mention how busy he is so sure we will connect soon. Thanks for all the feedback....Joe must be "the man"! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys.....Joe had returned my first voicemail. I missed his call and I left him another voicemail. He did mention how busy he is so sure we will connect soon. Thanks for all the feedback....Joe must be "the man"! ;)
I think part of the collective loyalty to both Joe @FiskerPhilly and Adam @Harleyguy is that they continued to support us while Fisker went completely dark after shutting down, through the Bankruptcy process, sale to Wanxiang, and rebirth as Fisker Automotive. A lot of other dealers and service companies moved on and stopped supporting us, and no one can really blame them, but these guys stuck with us and were immensely helpful even when the cars were orphans and their loyalty begets loyalty from us.

Hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction and start enjoying your Karma.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think part of the collective loyalty to both Joe @FiskerPhilly and Adam @Harleyguy is that they continued to support us while Fisker went completely dark after shutting down, through the Bankruptcy process, sale to Wanxiang, and rebirth as Fisker Automotive. A lot of other dealers and service companies moved on and stopped supporting us, and no one can really blame them, but these guys stuck with us and were immensely helpful even when the cars were orphans and their loyalty begets loyalty from us.

Hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction and start enjoying your Karma.
@Harleyguy also more commonly goes by Adam. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts