Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attending the New Hampshire Alt Energy Summit this weekend. The event was held at Mount Washington, NH, an absolutely beautiful and natural place, bracketed by two small resort towns with lots of quaint inns and shops, many of them with names that start with "ye olde". Naturally, my Karma picks this moment to give me the Key Fob Battery Almost Dead signal. Normally, this would be a non-event. A quick trip to a local drug store, or Radio Shack and a pair of 2032 batteries, and we are good to go.

But I was not in San Francisco or even Manchester, I was in Jackson, NH, where gas stations start closing around 7 PM. And I knew that if the Fob stopped working I would be screwed. So after an exhaustive search, I managed to find a truck stop/convenience store 10 miles out of town that carried the 2032 battery, and got the Fob working.

It just goes to prove that it does not have to be a big battery to create a big problem. A $2 hearing aid battery can immobilize a $100K car, just as easily as a $20K EV battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was attending the New Hampshire Alt Energy Summit this weekend... I managed to find a truck stop/convenience store 10 miles out of town that carried the 2032 battery, and got the Fob working.

It just goes to prove that it does not have to be a big battery to create a big problem. A $2 hearing aid battery can immobilize a $100K car, just as easily as a $20K EV battery.
This may be the first "Found my savior at a truck stop" story ever... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This may be the first "Found my savior at a truck stop" story ever... ;)
It probably happens more often than you think. It gets very lonely on the road. :dodgy:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does that mean the instructions given in the manual don't work? i.e. put the key fob at the special place for it to communicate w/o batteries?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does that mean the instructions given in the manual don't work? i.e. put the key fob at the special place for it to communicate w/o batteries?
1) Unlocking the car using the passenger side lock is not easy. Have you ever tried it? I have, and the lock is so stiff that I had to give up before I broke the key. If the Fob is dead, the only option you have is to leave the car unlocked, which is what I was doing as I went from store to store and gas station to gas station.

2) Do you really want to find out if the emergency start procedure actually works when that is the only way you can drive your car 150 miles home? I did not.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hi Fab,
I'm surprised your battery went so dead that your FOB wouldn't work. Mine gave me a warning on the diagnostics screen with plenty of time to spare which let me order batteries online.

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
Hi Fab,
I'm surprised your battery went so dead that your FOB wouldn't work. Mine gave me a warning on the diagnostics screen with plenty of time to spare which let me order batteries online.
same with me, it received a warning.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Fab,
Mine also kept working with the warning displayed. I just did not know how long it would last before it died completely, and I was not going to risk getting stranded because of the Fob.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For those old enough to understand a reference to old "Variety" headlines, I can't help but think this thread should read:
"FAB FOB FLUB"

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
With the manual and the spare batteries in the Glove Box could present a problem. Since the Glove Box only opens when the Key Fob is recognized. Ouch... the ultimate "Catch 22". I think I will go look at the emergency procedure.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Reading this must have been a "jinx". My key fob battery indicator came on... Lucky to see the warning and rushed to get 2032 replacement. Since the emergency procedure only works when the for still has some power, never want to be without a working fob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts