Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put over 2300 miles on my Karma, so for the last 1000 of them I decided to let the Trip odometer run so that I could get a good long-distance average. I got 95, and I'm quite happy with that!

I like to see other post similar 1000 mile photos! Consider it a challenge to beat 95 :)

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
AnOutsider said:
I read the title as you got over 1,000 MPG
Me too. And I was particularly surprised since the display appears to max out at 409 MPG.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congratulations! I think 95 mpg is pretty impressive and worth trying to beat. Fisker should sponsor a contest

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts

About 1/3 of the days I drive I need the range extender, which is reflected in my 51 mpg average. Not complaining!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I just went over 225 miles @ 222mpg. I have the perfect commute for this ride, about 12 mile round trip and a couple 10 mile round trips to the gym. I live in the middle of Dallas with easy access to about everywhere.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's pretty easy to pin the MPG out at 409 over short distances of just a few hundred miles. I had it pinned out at that for the first 300-400 miles of that test. That's why I let it run for 1000 miles because I wanted to see a long-term test, and even 1000 miles was probably cutting it close because on Saturday it was showing 129mpg when I was at 850 miles. On Sunday I did a single 150 mile road trip almost entirely on gas which brought the average down to 95. I think a 2000 mile test would be more accurate, but I'm pretty confident that my long-term average will fluctuate between 90 and 130.

-Brian

·
Registered
913 Posts
brian said:
It's pretty easy to pin the MPG out at 409 over short distances of just a few hundred miles. I had it pinned out at that for the first 300-400 miles of that test. That's why I let it run for 1000 miles because I wanted to see a long-term test, and even 1000 miles was probably cutting it close because on Saturday it was showing 129mpg when I was at 850 miles. On Sunday I did a single 150 mile road trip almost entirely on gas which brought the average down to 95. I think a 2000 mile test would be more accurate, but I'm pretty confident that my long-term average will fluctuate between 90 and 130.

-Brian
I always keep a log book in my cars (this probably says something about me ... :D) so even with resets I will be able to compute the lifetime average mpg since I record everything.

Assuming I can get off my butt to do it, it will be interesting to see what the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 year numbers come out to.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
I always keep a log book in my cars (this probably says something about me ... :D) so even with resets I will be able to compute the lifetime average mpg since I record everything.

Assuming I can get off my butt to do it, it will be interesting to see what the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 year numbers come out to.
ct-

Don't forget, I built a Mileage Calculator tool that can do a lot of this for you automatically: Click here for the thread and download link

Brent

·
Registered
913 Posts
LonePalmBJ said:
ct-fiskerbuzz said:

ct-

Don't forget, I built a Mileage Calculator tool that can do a lot of this for you automatically: Click fere for the thread and download link

Brent
Yes, but I don't have Excel. I use an ancient text-only "spreadsheet calculator" for private stuff and Google Spreadsheets as needed for shared stuff. (And some code I wrote myself for stock and mutual fund trades, back before brokers kept cost basis info... I rewrote it in Python a while back, partly for fun and partly to add proper short term, long term, and 5-year gain / loss treatment.)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have taken several longer trips, relying on the range extension, so I haven't done quite as impressively. But, 85 MPG for 1386 miles isn't bad. Of course, in addition to the 15 gallons of gas I've burned, I've probably also used 400 kwh of electricity.
As a nice upgrade in the future, I'd like to see on this interface the total energy use, including the kwh of electricity.

I estimate my driving cost is about $0.10 a mile. 15 gallons of gas at $4 per gallon plus 400 kwh at $0.20/kwh is about $140 to go 1400 miles, or $0.10 per mile in total fuel costs. That is probably half the average fuel costs of any other car I drive. Of course, if I was in Texas, that calc would result in something like $0.05 per mile.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave_Car_Guy said:
Good Karma said:
Here is my screen shot at the 1000 mile mark.
Nice 148! GOOD KARMA is winning...but then again, isn't that always the case? ;)

Sorta. I think we need to set a minimum of 1000 miles as the average distance. It's pretty easy to get big numbers on shorter distances.

-Brian

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
brian said:
Dave_Car_Guy said:
Good Karma said:
Here is my screen shot at the 1000 mile mark.
Nice 148! GOOD KARMA is winning...but then again, isn't that always the case? ;)

Sorta. I think we need to set a minimum of 1000 miles as the average distance. It's pretty easy to get big numbers on shorter distances.

-Brian
Am I missing something? The screen shot in Good Karma's post said 1000 miles. :huh:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just curious - Can the Karma display the electricity used per mile? While I understand the appeal of using less gas, using electricity has its own impacts and costs. If you were trying, for instance, to figure out your average $/mile, you'd have to count the electricity the car has consumed, not just the gasoline.

Here's what the Tesla Roadster displays (yes, it's a crude display):

In this case the over 15 miles the car averaged 270 Wh/mile, with a "instantaneous" reading of -69 Wh/mile (probably from regen braking to a stop to take the picture).

Is there something similar for the Karma? Can you get a handle on what the overall fuel costs per mile are?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
teslaowner said:
Just curious - Can the Karma display the electricity used per mile? While I understand the appeal of using less gas, using electricity has its own impacts and costs. If you were trying, for instance, to figure out your average $/mile, you'd have to count the electricity the car has consumed, not just the gasoline.

Is there something similar for the Karma? Can you get a handle on what the overall fuel costs per mile are?

Unfortunatley, no. Currently there is no electric energy consumption information displayed. We have to settle for MPG for gasoline economy only. This is useful, because "what kind of mileage do you get" is the first question people ask when they find out it's a range extended electric, but I agree it doesn't tell the whole picture. I imagine this data is captured during use, or perhaps energy-per-recharge is captured, so hopefully they could add a display like this in the future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts