Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Eaton charging stations? We are installing one and EVConnect says:

"Fisker Automotive has tried steering away customers from the 220v Lear because it has not been a reliable charge station.
The Eaton is a much more trustworthy unit, with its metal face plate and clip, as oppose to the Lear where the unit is Polycarbonate and the clip can easily break with just one drop of the handle.
I highly recommend the Eaton unit and we can ship one to his residence by the end of the day. A Lear can take up to 4-5 weeks."

What charging station is best?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
RE: Eaton Versus Lear Charging Stations

TexasDavid said:
Does anyone have experience with the Eaton charging stations? We are installing one and EVConnect says:

"Fisker Automotive has tried steering away customers from the 220v Lear because it has not been a reliable charge station.
The Eaton is a much more trustworthy unit, with its metal face plate and clip, as oppose to the Lear where the unit is Polycarbonate and the clip can easily break with just one drop of the handle.
I highly recommend the Eaton unit and we can ship one to his residence by the end of the day. A Lear can take up to 4-5 weeks."

What charging station is best?
There are several threads in the "Charging and Chargers" forum that touch on this, but you might want to check out this one in particular:
Fisker is adding/changing the official EVSE provider

You may also find this thread useful:
Selecting a Charger: To Lear or not to Lear

I have the Fisker branded Lear charger now. I'm on my second one. If it conks out I'm definitely switching to the Eaton unit, or perhaps a smarter one.

Brent

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a Lear Charger that conked out on me after less than a month...Just got a fault error and wouldn't charge...

EV Connect replaced unit with an Eaton that has worked flawlessly for 5 months...

The only thing negative about the Eaton with respect to the Lear is cosmetic. The Lear has that coiled orange chord that looks cool and if you hang the charger high enough the cord does not touch the floor when hanging in the receptacle or while chargning. My dealer has had a Lear unit without incident for 7 months or so...

The Eaton on the other hand has a plain black cord that hangs on a plain hook, like on a hose reel. Fortunately my charging station is within 3 feet of my car's socket so I was able to put plastic ties around most of the cord length and only feed the 3 feet out to the car each time. Even with the bundled coils, the cord is pretty ugly and has much less "design" oomph than the Lear...So, unlike the Karma itself, you must choose form or function in this case...if you care how the inside of your garage looks, I would definately wait for the Lear knowing it is a bit of gamble in terms of reliability. If you don't care what it looks like, go with the Eaton.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts