Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Owner Signature 008
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Fisker owners,

We purchased a signature edition late June 2012, and like others have had our share of minor software glitches, as well as water leakage in through the air filters which ruined the CIU with a resulting wailing noise so loud through the entertainment system you could not drive the car.

The car has low mileage as we stored it for 5 weeks last summer and again over the winter and began driving it again this spring. Two days ago the main electric drive motor ceased functioning and we have been informed by the dealer that the replacement cost is $21,000.00 and an additional $9,000.00 for labour.

The warranty and parts availability is in question and options are being considered by the dealer. What those options will look like are un sure !??

As much as we love driving our Fisker this news is devastating. We paid 120k for a vehicle that is less than a year old which can no longer be driven and we are facing a 30k repair bill. The vehicle has under 5000 miles on it!

Will keep everyone posted on how things proceed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow. That really sucks. Where do you live? Maybe you can get the dealer to take the car back under lemon laws.

·
Registered
546 Posts
EEEEEeeeeeeessssshhhhh!!!

That. Just. Sucks.

I hope your problem is resolved quickly for as little $$ as possible.

In case you are unfamiliar with him, Lormax is great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Acadia, please do keep us posted. I for one have had it with this situation and wonder when the owners are going to file a class action lawsuit. Many grumble on here that we won't be happy with what we receive, but they aren't bankrupt yet and there is value there for the owners, no matter how small or large it might be. I bought my car because of the warranty, I would have NEVER bought it, obviously, if they said, hey, this car has new technology that only a handful of people are capable of working on and if it breaks, you're on your own. This is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention the loss in the value of the cars due to FA's actions and I for one am starting to get really pissed off about all of this and find it very surprising that more owners are not extremely upset and willing to take action at this point.....I guess I will have to be the first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, just another pissed off owner who got burned like the rest of us Doug.....I have simply been in limbo on what to do, take the beating and give the car away, let it rot, use it as a planter when it dies or plow $30,000 into it to keep it running like Acadia, you know, fun decisions like that, suggesting stockholm is ridiculous, I'm just not in the habit of being sold a bill of goods by a dealer who won't so much as change the oil for me (I offered to pay, but they will no longer work on Fisker's) or a manufacturer who's done all that they have, no need to rehash. If any of us were in Acadia's position, it's all even less funny.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was just suggesting a facetious explanation as to why "more owners are not extremely upset and willing to take action at this point."

As I've said before, I do think the interests of the existing customers should be represented in whatever happens moving forward wrt Fisker. That representative is typically a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
@txam99, look up "Stockholm syndrome" it is a plausible explanation for the Fisker Buzz owners relative acquiescence to their fate. Another is that we just don't know what to do, or what that action would net us. That is the camp I’m in. I am driving a trouble free Karma as my daily driver and very much enjoy the car. The story of FA is still (slowly) unfolding.

That said, I would not have bought it without the warranty. It was my “design/build contract” to insure I wasn’t on the hook for what I think were inevitable “new model” design issues. Hopefully the car is just a little more expensive than I thought it was going to be (paying for service). But a 30k problem would be a game changer! I might prefer to put that money toward my next car.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Any owner having this kind of experience needs to consult their State's local lemon law. A google search should help immensely, but here is a useful link for Florida (my state): http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBCo...edc932d547172a5685257408005de3b6!OpenDocument

State lemon laws generally establish what qualifies as a "lemon" and then imposes various obligations on a manufacturer or dealer. Even if a lawsuit against FA is made difficult given their finances, you may have recourse against the dealer.

There has been many posts about Tesla's efforts to circumvent State Dealer requirements, and the Dealer's are claiming that circumventing them can result in problems for consumers. That same logic should be capable of being used AGAINST that same dealer network in a case where a Dealer sells a Fisker that later qualifies as a lemon. If you live in Texas, New York, North Carolina, Virginia or Massachusetts I would be going to court carrying a copy of the respective State Dealer Associations pleading against Tesla to use it against the dealer you bought from - Dealers can't have their cake and eat it too.

I'm not a lemon law lawyer, but if you or any other owner in a similar situation needs help locating their local lemon laws, send me a PM. If you live in Florida and are having a lemon issue, send me a PM and I'll BECOME an expert.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Acadia, please do keep us posted. I for one have had it with this situation and wonder when the owners are going to file a class action lawsuit. Many grumble on here that we won't be happy with what we receive, but they aren't bankrupt yet and there is value there for the owners, no matter how small or large it might be. I bought my car because of the warranty, I would have NEVER bought it, obviously, if they said, hey, this car has new technology that only a handful of people are capable of working on and if it breaks, you're on your own. This is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention the loss in the value of the cars due to FA's actions and I for one am starting to get really pissed off about all of this and find it very surprising that more owners are not extremely upset and willing to take action at this point.....I guess I will have to be the first.
I'm pissed too. We would like to join anyone who wants to file a class action.

Bill

·
Registered
272 Posts
im guessing that because I bought my car in Florida. that the Fla law would pertain to me?

·
Registered
542 Posts
im guessing that because I bought my car in Florida. that the Fla law would pertain to me?
Yes, the key (at least for Florida) is WHERE the vehicle was purchased. It is possible that you could be covered additionally by a "long-arm" statute in your state of residence, but you would have to consult your own state's laws to see if that is the case.

For Florida, this link is also very instructive: http://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemonlaw, and includes a Florida hotline: 800-321-5366.

·
Owner Signature 008
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are in Canada and unfortunately we do not have a lemon law to the same degree as in the states. We have a Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan. Basically a group to help assist consumers in resolving disputes with dealerships.

The Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of BC also has a Register who works with a board of directors to administer the Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund, which is to protect consumers in cases of dealership business failure.

We have not got these groups involved just yet as we have a meeting set up with the general manager of the dealership tomorrow so we will see how those discussion's go.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We are in Canada and unfortunately we do not have a lemon law to the same degree as in the states. We have a Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan. Basically a group to help assist consumers in resolving disputes with dealerships.

The Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of BC also has a Register who works with a board of directors to administer the Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund, which is to protect consumers in cases of dealership business failure.
Good luck with your meeting and update the thread with the results. I was a lawyer in Ontario before I was one in Florida, and my understanding is that BC laws are generally more pro-consumer even than ours. It sounds like the MV Sales Authority fund is the one you are going to want to focus on (though it contemplates dealership failure, manufacturer failure is probably also encompassed). If you don't get resolution at the dealer, don't hesitate to use that resource.

·
Owner Signature 008
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the heads up will likely do so.
Florida eh ... well hope you have a high and dry spot to park your Fisker in the event of Hurricane high water surge. You wouldn't want an event like H Sandy in your own back yard.
Take care and hope you have Uneventful motoring with your Fisker.
Cheers
Don

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Lemon Law a car that doesn't have a manufacture to pay out . I don't think you can lemon law a used Karma you have to be the original buyer . We had a customer two weeks away from his case being heard Fisker was all ready to take him out of the car . Fisker closed and all bets were off car ended up at Car Max .

·
Registered
261 Posts
This thread is leading to the "heart" of our problems. Each week that goes by another Fisker owner is having catastrophic or near catastrophic problems with his car.

We talk about our positions against FA in case of bankruptcy. I have no idea if we have even a remote chance, but if there is, we need to formulate our strategy now, so that if there is a prepackaged bankruptcy, we can pull the trigger immediately. For that, we will need to find an attorney, who can make him/her self familiar with this case. Not sure how to proceed with this, but I know if we can get this organized now it may serve us well when the time comes.

On another front, I am not sure we do not have cases against the dealers in the individual states. I am talking about owners who have unrepairable failures, and have legitimate lemon law issues. Most lemon law issues are between consumers and manufacturers. In this case, the manufacturer is not a viable candidate to sue, because Fiskers coffers are empty, so any victory would be hollow.
So that leaves actions against the dealers, The following case pertaining to the DeLorean was forwarded to me by another owner. It is very interesting and parallels our issues. Think we should all read up on this, and then maybe so attorneys amongst us can offer some legal advice. I for one, would be willing to make a financial contribution to any case brought against FA or a Fisker dealer, if there is a reasonable chance of success

Here's the case law: http://www.lawskills.com/case/ga/id/627/7/index.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mikey43 count me in. PM me if you need anything from me..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts