Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was pretty useful last time around. So let's brainstorm on some key questions we'd like to ask on tomorrow's townhall. I'll start:

- What is the current roadmap for near and medium term software updates (e.g. 2013MY)?

- Please provide us with an update on when the other CC features will be implemented.

- Any further enhancements planned for the Command Center (e.g. hardware retrofit to make it faster)?

- Are there really no planned enhancements to the navigation system for current Karma's on the road?

- It appears a few have had problems with the RDM - is Fisker aware of this? Any clarity you can provide on why the RDM has had problems on some cars?

- The fan replacement. Is this from the same vendor that provided the faulty fan? I've heard it replaces two actual fans in the current Karma - will this single fan solution be adequate to cool the requisite components?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
RE: Town Hall Tomorrow - Questions to ask

Related to the fan replacement, and battery, I'll add the question of when we should expect to hear from our dealers about this? I haven't yet, and don't want to rush things, but also want to know if I need to get proactive.

Also, what does it take to get on Fisker's email list? I didn't get an annoucement of the last town hall meeting. I emailed Fisker and asked them to add me to their owner list, and they didn't respond. The nice summary on the forum met my needs, but I'd like to be on their email list. I did receive a battery recall notice via US mail, so they do have my name.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Can we get improvements to the performance?

Why was the performance de-tuned?

Can we control the performance better?
- possible to get the full 403hp without the ICE?

And of course all of the command center questions...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

How about being able to set the charge time so that you can take advantage of Time Of Use electricity rates. Almost all other electric cars provide this feature including the Volt. Seems this should be easy as the Karma certainly knows what time it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts

Things I'd like to ask:

1) Why did the town hall meetings go from the original intent of Monthly to roughly Quarterly?

2) What are the actual sales numbers?

3) What is the status of an official Fisker online forum? This was promised during the last town hall. Failing that, why does Fisker actively refuse to participate in this forum and discourages employees and retailers from doing so?

4) What is the status of the Fisker Owner's Council? I'm ostensibly a member and I have no idea

5) What changed with the relationship with EVConnect? Are they no longer a partner?

6) Does Fisker have a *proactive* media/marketing strategy? There's is virtually no advertising in traditional luxo-car media and channels. Fisker seems to always be playing catch up and on the defensive to bad news. Is there any plan to get out in front and drive the narrative? What about the Leo DiCaprio relationship; will that bear fruit any time soon?

7) Why did LaSorda step aside? Is he still involved with the company?

8) Is Fisker actively engaged in discussions with potential strategic partners/suitors? (I doubt they would actually answer this question, but how they choose not to answer will be revealing as well)

9) Any plans to have owner drives/events anywhere other than southern California? How about showing some love to those of us on the east coast, and to the Fisker family in other countries/continents?

10) What is the status of the dealer network? Is Fisker gaining dealers? Losing them? What about gaining markets and losing markets? Why?

11) Why do you think Elon Musk has to be such a tool?

·
Registered
74 Posts

I was invited to the last 2 town halls via email, i didnt get an invite this time, had to contact them about it & did get registered. They said the invites went out via a different email address & so "it could have gone into my junk or bulk box"...i check that pretty regular, never saw anything so not sure i buy that but i was able to get registered...this should be an interesting one.

·
Registered
223 Posts

- When will the solar screen and remote cabin conditioning work?

- Can the 'hold key fob button to lower all windows' feature be disabled in a future software update?

- Will Bluetooth audio control bugs (sometimes works sometimes doesn't) be fixed soon?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

drliu said:
- When will the solar screen and remote cabin conditioning work?

- Can the 'hold key fob button to lower all windows' feature be disabled in a future software update?

- Will Bluetooth audio control bugs (sometimes works sometimes doesn't) be fixed soon?
Totally agree with the "lower all windows" feature. It happened to me during a bad rain storm when I went to dinner. Took a day to dry out the interior.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I think mid-speed passing power boost should also be a question - is there any way Fisker can give us more power at mid-speed like 60-80mph for passing?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

LIVE BLOG:

Richard Beattie started call. Tony P. and Henrik were also on.

Started talking about Woodside fire. Low temperature cooling fan component started the fire in sealed component. August 18, launched recall for the vehicles. 86% of fans have been distributed to US.

1,200 Karmas delivered. Over 1,000 in North America.

August 1 launched new website. Designed for tablet first, desktop second.

Fisker was at Pebble Beach this year, with a small Karma drive.

Big drive this past weekend in Orange County – 28 customer Karmas. Have encouraged all US retailers to do the same sort of drive.

Just hired new CEO – Tony P. Over 30 years experience in product development, most recently as director of global electric program at GM, including the Volt.[hr]
Tony P. started talking. Has been driving a Karma all week. Said he received “two marriage proposals” from driving his Karma. Tony has also been involved with upcoming Cadillac ELR – that said, he’s excited to be at Fisker.

Q&A from Richard to Tony
How do you plan to engage with our different luxury demographic vis a vis Volt demographic?
Plans to be very involved and engaged with customers. Plan to have special experience/special care for our customers, e.g. Orange County owner drive.

First CEO role. What are your priorities at Fisker?
Designing & developing customer-requested features; User-controlled Sport mode and regen braking are key advantages of Karma over Volt; want to keep those “special touches.” Customer care will also be top priority. Focused on quality as well.

How is the company’s current funding situation?
Very encouraging. Can’t share too much, but are in the midst of another financing. September timeframe.
[hr]

Now Q&A session
First customer questions from Fisker
1. What range have you been getting?
2. What do you tell people when people first ask about the Karma?
3. Where have you seen a bunch of Karmas together? How many/where?

Now questions from customers.
Gary Hor Vat takes few questions.

Have heard that the new fan replaces TWO existing fans. What is the other fan that it replaces? Is the new fan from the same vendor?
Working on updating the fans for a number of months and had done thorough testing. We put multiple radiators and fans to be safe. Testing shows we only needed one fan. Some Karmas already had new fan. So when Woodside fire happen, Fisker decided to retrofit all existing Karmas.
[hr]

Can I leave the Karma unused for a long period of time?
Yes, but run it every couple of months.

Changes for 2013MY and will retrofit be available to existing owners. Richard responded.
Can’t disclose but they are quite significant. Haven’t announced the timing yet, but there will be some appearance inside and out changes. The vehicle will be at latest level of software at that stage.

Bluetooth issues.
Working with a supplier to eliminate crackling and echo. Still working on it.

David Tate question – How will customers been informed regarding recall?
Letters are being mailed out. Should receive notice in a few days. Dealers started receiving parts last week.

[hr]

High speed fan.
If you turn off the A/C before you charge the vehicle, it will stop that fan from running.

Command Center – many general questions.
Many updates in the works to improve the performance. Improve the function and speed, like screen day and night mode. We’re also cutting back on the number of colors – more blacks and whites so easier to see. Also improving switching from screen to screen. These are currently in development/validation.

Tire wear on outside edges.
Goodyear tires will wear on the outside, but there are wear markers in the middle of the tire to indicate actual wear. We’ve seen tire wear exceeding 10-12,000 miles.

Said they received about 300 questions so far from customers on this town hall. Wanted to do monthly, but proved too much administratively. Now targeting every “couple of months.” Concluded the Town Hall at 12:39pm ET (36 minutes in total, as call started a few min late).
[hr]
All the questions I asked, a few which were answered, most weren't:

Questions I asked:
Q: Have heard that the new fan replaces TWO existing fans. What is the other fan that it replaces? Is the new fan from the same vendor?

Q: How thoroughly have the new fans been tested, given the quick turnaround?

Q: where does Tony see Fisker going?

Q: The Volt is known for its exceptionally low NVH profile when range extender kicks in. What lessons will Tony bring to Fisker on this front?

Q: Is he the "long term" CEO given how short LaSorda was at Fisker?

Q: Given Tony's focus on customers and quality, any plans to retrofit the command center for existing Karma owners?

Q: what are the plans for the Fisker SUV?

Q: Will Tony focus on weight reduction and range extender fuel economy with the next Karma?

Q: What is the current roadmap for near and medium term software updates (e.g. 2013MY)?

Q: 1. I drive mostly in Sport mode and I typically get 22 MPG; 2. I tell them its an EV with 400hp; 3. Never seen another Karma in the wild except at dealer or during the OC drive on Sunday

Q: Any further enhancements planned for the Command Center (e.g. hardware retrofit to make it faster)?

Q: It appears a few have had problems with the RDM - is Fisker aware of this? Any clarity you can provide on why the RDM has had problems on some cars?

Q: is the replacement fan from the same vendor as the one it replaces?

Q: Will Fisker add Time of Charge/Delayed Charge ability to the Karma for charging at off peak times?

Q: Can power software be revised to give more oomph for mid-speed highway passing? Can inverters/cooling and motors handle more power?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Town Hall - Recap/Summary

LIVE BLOG:

Richard Beattie started call. Tony P. and Henrik were also on.

Started talking about Woodside fire. Low temperature cooling fan component started the fire in sealed component. August 18, launched recall for the vehicles. 86% of fans have been distributed to US.

1,200 Karmas delivered. Over 1,000 in North America.

August 1 launched new website. Designed for tablet first, desktop second.

Fisker was at Pebble Beach this year, with a small Karma drive.

Big drive this past weekend in Orange County – 28 customer Karmas. Have encouraged all US retailers to do the same sort of drive.

Just hired new CEO – Tony P. Over 30 years experience in product development, most recently as director of global electric program at GM, including the Volt.[hr]
Tony P. started talking. Has been driving a Karma all week. Said he received “two marriage proposals” from driving his Karma. Tony has also been involved with upcoming Cadillac ELR – that said, he’s excited to be at Fisker.

Q&A from Richard to Tony
How do you plan to engage with our different luxury demographic vis a vis Volt demographic?
Plans to be very involved and engaged with customers. Plan to have special experience/special care for our customers, e.g. Orange County owner drive.

Designing & developing customer-requested features; User-controlled Sport mode and regen braking are key advantages of Karma over Volt; want to keep those “special touches.” Customer care will also be top priority. Focused on quality as well.

How is the company’s current funding situation?
Very encouraging. Can’t share too much, but are in the midst of another financing. September timeframe.
[hr]

Now Q&A session
First customer questions from Fisker
1. What range have you been getting?
2. What do you tell people when people first ask about the Karma?
3. Where have you seen a bunch of Karmas together? How many/where?

Now questions from customers.
Gary Hor Vat takes few questions.

Have heard that the new fan replaces TWO existing fans. What is the other fan that it replaces? Is the new fan from the same vendor?
Working on updating the fans for a number of months and had done thorough testing. We put multiple radiators and fans to be safe. Testing shows we only needed one fan. Some Karmas already had new fan. So when Woodside fire happen, Fisker decided to retrofit all existing Karmas.
[hr]

Can I leave the Karma unused for a long period of time?
Yes, but run it every couple of months.

Changes for 2013MY and will retrofit be available to existing owners. Richard responded.
Can’t disclose but they are quite significant. Haven’t announced the timing yet, but there will be some appearance inside and out changes. The vehicle will be at latest level of software at that stage.

Bluetooth issues.
Working with a supplier to eliminate crackling and echo. Still working on it.

David Tate question – How will customers been informed regarding recall?
Letters are being mailed out. Should receive notice in a few days. Dealers started receiving parts last week.

[hr]

High speed fan.
If you turn off the A/C before you charge the vehicle, it will stop that fan from running.

Command Center – many general questions.
Many updates in the works to improve the performance. Improve the function and speed, like screen day and night mode. We’re also cutting back on the number of colors – more blacks and whites so easier to see. Also improving switching from screen to screen. These are currently in development/validation.

Tire wear on outside edges.
Goodyear tires will wear on the outside, but there are wear markers in the middle of the tire to indicate actual wear. We’ve seen tire wear exceeding 10-12,000 miles.

Said they received about 300 questions so far from customers on this town hall. Wanted to do monthly, but proved too much administratively. Now targeting every “couple of months.” Concluded the Town Hall at 12:39pm ET (36 minutes in total, as call started a few min late).
[hr]
All the questions I asked, a few which were answered, most weren't:

Questions I asked:
Q: Have heard that the new fan replaces TWO existing fans. What is the other fan that it replaces? Is the new fan from the same vendor?

Q: How thoroughly have the new fans been tested, given the quick turnaround?

Q: where does Tony see Fisker going?

Q: The Volt is known for its exceptionally low NVH profile when range extender kicks in. What lessons will Tony bring to Fisker on this front?

Q: Is he the "long term" CEO given how short LaSorda was at Fisker?

Q: Given Tony's focus on customers and quality, any plans to retrofit the command center for existing Karma owners?

Q: what are the plans for the Fisker SUV?

Q: Will Tony focus on weight reduction and range extender fuel economy with the next Karma?

Q: What is the current roadmap for near and medium term software updates (e.g. 2013MY)?

Q: 1. I drive mostly in Sport mode and I typically get 22 MPG; 2. I tell them its an EV with 400hp; 3. Never seen another Karma in the wild except at dealer or during the OC drive on Sunday

Q: Any further enhancements planned for the Command Center (e.g. hardware retrofit to make it faster)?

Q: It appears a few have had problems with the RDM - is Fisker aware of this? Any clarity you can provide on why the RDM has had problems on some cars?

Q: is the replacement fan from the same vendor as the one it replaces?

Q: Will Fisker add Time of Charge/Delayed Charge ability to the Karma for charging at off peak times?

Q: Can power software be revised to give more oomph for mid-speed highway passing? Can inverters/cooling and motors handle more power?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
RE: Town Hall - Recap/Summary

SoCalGuy, you're amazing. You did all that while listening. Good job.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts

The call just ended. Here are my raw notes:

Fisker Town Hall
8/29/2012

Richard Beattie opened the call

Thank you for being customers

Woodside Fire
- Sealed component overheated in a fan
- Not related to the battery or power train
- Volunatary recall launched on 8/18/2012
- 86% of replacement fans have been distributed to retailers
- Dealers will be reaching out. Fisker will also be sending a recall notice

Sales
- 1200 cars delivered to customers including 1000 in North America

Marketing
- New Website launched August 1st. Tablet optimized
- Displayed at Pebble Beach Concour d'elegance
- Orange County Fisker customer drive and Fisker HQ visit with 28 Karmas
- Encouraging other retailers to do the same

New CEO
- Introduced Tony. Former head of the Volt program at GM
- Tony is "very excited to join the Fisker Family" He's an "afficaianado and passionate about cars, especially electric cars". and has received "2 marriage proposals from driving around the Karma"
- 30 years experience with GM
- Last decade of electrified transportation for GM, including the Volt, Ampera and involved with the Cadillac ELR.
- Excitied about Karma and future products
- Plans to be very engaged with customers. Special care and experiences for customers.
- Will focus on designing, developing and introducing Customer driven features
- Focus on customer care
- Focus on product quality

Operations and Financing
- Pursuing additional funding
- More to announce in the September timeframe
- Hope and anticipate some good news to share

Questions for customers
Richard asked us customers three questions:
1) What kind of real-world MPG are you seeing?
2) When people ask about the car, what are you most proud to tell them?
3) (Paraphrasing) How often and how many Karmas have you seen in the wild?

During the Q&A he read some of the answers aloud

Q&A

Q: What are the two fans being replaced? Is it the same vendor? Has it been throughly tested?
A: Work on upgrading the fans for a number of months. Originally had multiple fans; testing indicated it only needed one. The new fan was already in place, and new cars were using it. The Woodside fire led to retrofitting existing vehicles. New design was already in production.

Q: Should I leave my car plugged in?
A: You should plug it in at least periodically to keep the battery topped off from resting. (He didn't really the answer the questions as asked)

Q: What changes will come in the new model year? Will they be retrofit?
A: There are some changes; some significant. They are not announcing any details yet

Q: What's going on with Bluetooth?
A: Working with supplier to fix this. Some new SW is being tested. This will be made available to customers when ready.

Q: How will customers be informed about the recall?
A: Letters will be mailed, or will hear from or reach out to the dealerships

TIP: Turning off AC before charging will prevent the high speed fan from running during charging

Q: A question about being locked in the vehicle
A: THere is a mechanical way to open all four doors located under the armrest

Q: General questions about the Command Center
A: There are some updates in the works, including Bluetooth, improve functions, speed it up, introduce day/night mode, reducing color depth and increasing contrast, improving screen switch time. They were vague on whether or not these improvements would be made available for free.

Q: Comment on the outside edge wear on the tires?
A: This is not uncommon; the wear indicators are inboard of the tire edge. The dealer can check alignment if you're concerned it is off. Fisker has seen some 12,000 mile tires

They closed with a thank you, commenting they only got to a few of the 300 comments and questions.

Regarding these Town Halls, they acknowlegded that Monthly was too frequent, so they will do another in a couple of months. No date given.

Then they said Thanks, Bye and ended the call.

·
Registered
854 Posts

I missed part of the middle, but from the summaries, it didn't seem like they covered much.

I asked if they thought the fan issue was also the cause of the Texas fire.

Interesting that this fan problem was a known issue, but they didn't realize the severity of the issue or didn't consider the worst case scenario. Did they ever say if they were using the same or a different vendor?

·
Registered
913 Posts

doug said:
Interesting that this fan problem was a known issue, but they didn't realize the severity of the issue or didn't consider the worst case scenario. Did they ever say if they were using the same or a different vendor?
I bet it was not so much "known issue" as "one fan/radiator is simpler and cheaper and works just as well, so might as well switch". (Incidentally, there's a reliability argument in favor of the "simpler" too. While two fans/radiators provides redundancy, hence the ability to keep going in the face of a failure, it also provides more opportunities for failure in the first place.)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

Thanks to @SoCalGuy and @LonePalmBJ for the great summaries. Next time I take a deposition, I will invite you guys to come along and summarize to save time on reading the transcript later. :D

I was actually a little disappointed that the entire call lasted just over 35 minutes and left a boatload of questions unanswered. I hope that those of us who submitted questions are going to get responses or that a FAQ will posted soon.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Weird Fishes said:
Did Fisker respond to the question about the problems some customers have had with their Rear Differential?
No, that did not come up.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
RE: Town Hall - Recap/Summary

SoCalGuy said:
<snip>
Q&A from Richard to Tony
Designing & developing customer-requested features; User-controlled Sport mode and regen braking are key advantages of Karma over Volt; want to keep those “special touches.”
Thanks for recap folks. I follow the Karma discussions because I'm interested in the Atlantic and I'm looking for indications on how they treat their customers/owners.

In regards to the Volt references above.
Re: SPORT mode turning on ICE.
- The 2013 Volts (and all Ampera/Volts that are non-USA) already had a "HOLD" mode that would turn the ICE on and maintain the batteries SOC for "city driving" later.
- What is unique about SPORT mode in the Fisker's is that it increases the performance of the car. When the ICE is on in the VOLT (either via HOLD mode or when in Charge Sustaining (CS) mode the power is virtually the same)
- The Volt does have a "SPORTs" mode currently but it only remaps the accelerator pedal to make it more response (vs like a typical automatic transmission feel for the masses). In mule and pre production versions of the Volt, the SPORTs mode added some more power (per actual driving video response to Lyle (GM-Volt.com) when he was with GM folks).

Re: Regen
- I don't understand this as the Volt uses "L" (vs "D") as aggressive regen AND that is all it does. I've (and many have) driven in "L" for 99% of their driving. It is similar to "Hill 2" in the Karma which I test drove a ~month ago.

I suspect much of the Karma drivetrain characteristics will show up in the Atlantic except with smaller components (ie. inverter/motor) so things like the trunk have much more room (Atlantic intro video showed this).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts