Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we all get new cooling fans.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/18/fisker-completes-investigation-of-latest-karma-ev-fire-issues-c/

MEDIA STATEMENT -- Woodside, CA Incident
ANAHEIM, CA -- August 18, 2012:

Fisker has completed a detailed investigation into the roadside fire involving a Fisker
Karma sedan on August 10 in Woodside, CA.

The investigation conducted by Fisker engineers, working with an independent fire
expert from Pacific Rim Investigative Services Group, has identified the root cause of
the incident.

The investigation located the ignition source to the left front of the Karma, forward of the
wheel, where the low temperature cooling fan is located. The final conclusion was that
this sealed component had an internal fault that caused it to fail, overheat and start a
slow burning fire.

Fisker has today voluntarily elected to conduct a recall with respect to this cooling fan
unit. The company is working with the responsible supplier and this recall campaign is
not expected to have a material financial impact on Fisker.

Fisker has already contacted its retailer network. Customers are expected to be
contacted by retailers, ahead of their receiving formal notice from the company by mail,
to have the cooling fan replaced with a unit that meets the required specifications. At
the same time an additional fuse will be installed for added protection.

In their investigation, independent experts established that the incident was not caused
by the Lithium-ion battery pack, new technology components, engine component
packaging or unique exhaust routing of the Fisker Karma.

"We are committed to responding swiftly and decisively to events such as this to ensure
total customer satisfaction," says Executive Chairman and Co-Founder, Henrik Fisker.
"This incident resulted from a single, faulty component, not our unique EVer powertrain
or the engineering of the Karma. As this situation demonstrates, Fisker Automotive is
dedicated to doing whatever is necessary to address safety and quality concerns."

The owner of the car involved in the Woodside incident, Mr. Rudy Burger commented:
"I have been incredibly impressed with the way Fisker has handled this incident. I have
personally started seven technology companies and know from direct experience that
the US needs more innovative companies of this type, especially in the automobile
sector.

"Fisker is a great company and one that I am personally planning to invest in. I look
forward to getting behind the wheel of my next Fisker."

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
RE: Recall

WOJO said:
I guess this is a good news.
Pretty smart of Fisker releasing the news on Saturday. They are going catch flak for it no matter what, but at least they are handling it well and they have a good chance of riding it out with the supplier getting stuck with the cost of replacing the fan.

Well done guys.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts

Fabulist said:
WOJO said:
Pretty smart of Fisker releasing the news on Saturday. They are going catch flak for it no matter what, but at least they are handling it well and they have a good chance of riding it out with the supplier getting stuck with the cost of replacing the fan.

Well done guys.

And a great job by Fisker getting a very positive quote from the owner of the burned car about how the company handled the situation. :exclamation:

·
Registered
854 Posts

dennis said:
And a great job by Fisker getting a very positive quote from the owner of the burned car about how the company handled the situation. :exclamation:
Certainly handled better than the last guy.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

dennis said:
Fabulist said:
WOJO said:

Well done guys.

Fortunately, they did not go with the first draft of the statement where he said that he was a great fan of Fisker and believed that it was a hot investments and that the company was about to blow up. :D The version they went with is much better, IMHO. [hr]
doug said:
dennis said:
You mean the arson suspect felon? Yes, that's for sure.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Fabulist said:
WOJO said:

Well done guys.

I'm honestly not sure it matters. I don't see this as a huge issue. If correct, the part that failed is minor and a seemingly cheap and quick fix. From the owner's comments it also seems Fisker is taking care of them as well.

As a Karma owner I'd be happy about the results and as a potential Karma owner I'd feel reassured that Fisker stands by their product.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts

Glad to see this one resolved swiftly - what about the Texas fire? Very smart for Fisker to get quote from the owner - looks like they're finally finding their way!

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts

Does anyone suspect this fan issue is the cause of the texas fire?....

·
1,217 Posts

Nin ja said:
Does anyone suspect it isn't the cause of the Texas fire? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts

dennis said:
Nin ja said:
I think that's our speculation (certainly mine) but Fisker has been silent on the matter. Would be useful if they have reached that conclusion for them to say so, and best to do it soon, given the swiftness of the Woodside response.

·
1,217 Posts

SoCalGuy said:
dennis said:
Nin ja said:
I think that's our speculation (certainly mine) but Fisker has been silent on the matter. Would be useful if they have reached that conclusion for them to say so, and best to do it soon, given the swiftness of the Woodside response.
I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere that the car was so damaged that it was not possible to determine the origin of the fire.

·
Registered
42 Posts

doug said:
dennis said:
Well, GM seems to handle this even better. Havent seen any nags about their latest recall regarding their SUV's power locks and power windows that caused over 30 fires in the states. Granted they are old cars 06-07 and some others :dodgy:

·
Registered
913 Posts

Raven said:
... GM seems to handle this even better. Haven't seen any nags about their latest recall regarding their SUV's power locks and power windows that caused over 30 fires in the states. Granted they are old cars 06-07 and some others :dodgy:
If those vehicles had electric motors (well, actually they do have electric motors, on the power windows, but you know what I mean) then these recalls would be huge, headline news....

·
Registered
784 Posts

Raven said:
Well, GM seems to handle this even better. Havent seen any nags about their latest recall regarding their SUV's power locks and power windows that caused over 30 fires in the states. Granted they are old cars 06-07 and some others :dodgy:
I think that's not so much better handling as it's less interest by biased journalists. The media report extensively on car fires (and the associated recalls) when they involve electric cars and do not write about car fires when they involves ICE-cars (and there are over 100,000 of those fires a year in the US alone).

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

dennis said:
SoCalGuy said:
dennis said:
Nin ja said:
I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere that the car was so damaged that it was not possible to determine the origin of the fire.
That also appears to be the official verdict from the official fire investigator:

According to Fort Bend County, Texas, chief fire investigator Robert Baker, the Fisker Karma started the fire that spread to the house.

“Yes, the Karma was the origin of the fire, but what exactly caused that we don't know at this time,” he said.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120508/carnews/120509860#ixzz241DFX3g3
Seems like a plausible culprit given the the similarity of the circumstances and the symptoms, but I don't think we will ever know for sure, and for good reason:

·
Registered
913 Posts

Dutch said:
I think that's not so much better handling as it less interest by biased journalists. The media report extensively on car fires (and the associated recalls) when they involve electric cars and do not write about car fires when they involves ICE-cars (and there are over 100,000 of those fires a year in the US alone).
As much as I like to complain about this bias (and do complain :D), that parenthetical bit is why there is this bias: "dog bites man" is not much of a story. Cars explode into flames several times a minute. Airplanes don't, so when one does, it's a Big Story. EVs are new enough to still be "interesting news".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Possible Recall Forecast

My car is in for a service (needs a replacement part) and I just learned from the Service Manager today of a delay for my part, but he also informed me of a possible recall on some cars due to the cooling fan and fire issue on just one car. No further details yet, but Dealers may be contacting owners of affected cars.:(

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
RE: Possible Recall Forecast

alexofsb said:
My car is in for a service (needs a replacement part) and I just learned from the Service Manager today of a delay for my part, but he also informed me of a possible recall on some cars due to the cooling fan and fire issue on just one car. No further details yet, but Dealers may be contacting owners of affected cars.:(
Alex, there are a couple of threads discussing this, notably this one:
http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-Recall

Fisker traced the source of the recent Karma fire to a faulty fan component and have initiated a recall. Materially, it shouldn't impact Fisker financially but it will be a PR hit, and something for the anti-Fisker/Anti-EV crowd to crow about (nevermind it has nothing to do with the EV drivetrain)

Brent

1 - 20 of 55 Posts