Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Would be interesting to drive this car, testing noise canceling on and off .

With my Fisker, I don't have any problems with the noise from the road, than from all aggregates like steering pump and wipers, sounds which are normally not noticeable because of the ICE.

Good reading.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Interesting reading. From my personal experience with active noise cancelling headphones, I can tell you that the cancellation effect is very localized and position sensitive.

With headphones, the sensors (basically microphones) are perfectly and statically lined up with your eardrum and with the speakers that generate the anti-noise, and even when you move your head around, the sensor-speaker-ear alignment stays fixed which allows the signal processing circuitry to generate the proper noise cancelling signal. But in a car interior, as they acknowledge, this is a much more complex problem because your ears are constantly moving and changing their relative positions to both the sensor and the speakers. Lucid appears to be dealing with this complexity by blanketing the interior of the car with sensors (11 according the article), but they can still only provide quiet zones where two signals mix perfectly.

I am not saying that it will not work, just that I am not sure how significant the impact would be, and I would very much like to see it in action. Do any other high-end cars incorporate this technology, and if they do, how well do they work? I have no personal experience with this in cars.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts