Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma EcoChic Hybrid Silver Wind Exterior on Glacier Tri-Tone Interior
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my 10th Drive to clear Permanent DTE codes for California Smog after OBCM & Coupler change due to misfire codes and NO HV changing … total mile thus far was 350 miles running in SPORT mode towards clearing the clearing of P1B63 / U019B Permanent Fault Codes now required for CA Smog.

PROBLEM Today
5 Miles into my test drive today I got the 1) Low Battery Light 2) CEL, 3) Warning Triangle 4) Reduced Performance Warning 5) Car with into Limp Mode ( But really no power at All ) 6) Transmission lights P,D,N and R all ON.
Just before this happened , I noticed when leaving the traffic signal the AC blower fan speed went down upon acceleration then back to full/normal letting off the gas. This was a new phenomenon. Also …New 12 volt battery about 400 miles ago last month has worked great.

What I Did …
  • Scanner had 15 Codes … All related to communication ETC
  • Cleared all codes ( Except now have 3 Permanent with the new being the U0073 )
  • CEL/Triangle/Battery Light STILL ON
  • Performed HARD 12 volt RESET
  • E Brake Light on and will not go off and could not hear brake RELEASE
  • Shifter lights ALL still on and not responding
  • Cleared system again with Scanner again
  • Cycle ON/OFF power … READY light .. YES !
  • Shifter working … E Brake light on BUT did not hear it release
  • Hit the gas in STEALTH mode .. Heard clunk as I think brake released?
  • Drove home with no more issues but Parking brake light on
  • Sat in driveway and hit every switch / AC etc … All back to normal even E-brake operation
Next Steps??
Any thoughts from someone that might have seen this issue?
Ideas were to HUNT before driving again from folks that maybe have seen this issue?
I will begin visual / tightening inspection from the 12 Volt battery following cables to connectors to body bolts. Feels like something is loose creating a bad connection?
Appreciate any insight to probable causes and understand there is no silver bullet on these types of issues.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma EcoChic Hybrid Silver Wind Exterior on Glacier Tri-Tone Interior
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
During my 10th Drive to clear Permanent DTE codes for California Smog after OBCM & Coupler change due to misfire codes and NO HV changing … total mile thus far was 350 miles running in SPORT mode towards clearing the clearing of P1B63 / U019B Permanent Fault Codes now required for CA Smog.

PROBLEM Today
5 Miles into my test drive today I got the 1) Low Battery Light 2) CEL, 3) Warning Triangle 4) Reduced Performance Warning 5) Car with into Limp Mode ( But really no power at All ) 6) Transmission lights P,D,N and R all ON.
Just before this happened , I noticed when leaving the traffic signal the AC blower fan speed went down upon acceleration then back to full/normal letting off the gas. This was a new phenomenon. Also …New 12 volt battery about 400 miles ago last month has worked great.

What I Did …
  • Scanner had 15 Codes … All related to communication ETC
  • Cleared all codes ( Except now have 3 Permanent with the new being the U0073 )
  • CEL/Triangle/Battery Light STILL ON
  • Performed HARD 12 volt RESET
  • E Brake Light on and will not go off and could not hear brake RELEASE
  • Shifter lights ALL still on and not responding
  • Cleared system again with Scanner again
  • Cycle ON/OFF power … READY light .. YES !
  • Shifter working … E Brake light on BUT did not hear it release
  • Hit the gas in STEALTH mode .. Heard clunk as I think brake released?
  • Drove home with no more issues but Parking brake light on
  • Sat in driveway and hit every switch / AC etc … All back to normal even E-brake operation
Next Steps??
Any thoughts from someone that might have seen this issue?
Ideas were to HUNT before driving again from folks that maybe have seen this issue?
I will begin visual / tightening inspection from the 12 Volt battery following cables to connectors to body bolts. Feels like something is loose creating a bad connection?
Appreciate any insight to probable causes and understand there is no silver bullet on these types of issues.
Low Battery Light shines again ...

After the first problem ... I visually checked wiring from battery to most connectors and also checked grounds and did not find anything out of the ordinary.

4 days ago as I left for a 25 mile trip, I got the Low Battery Light, CEL and loss of power with the Reduced Performance Warning. Cleared the 15 codes and did a 12 volt reset to finish my drive normally . I could not clear the Parking Brake Light & Brake System warning Light. These only cleared with an extended stop.

Today ... Stopped for gas and went to start BUT Low Battery Light was ON, CEL on, Parking Brake Light on and READY light flashing. Did normal 12 volt reset, Cleared the dozen codes and was on my way.

Any thoughts what I need to check next?

Thank You

·
Registered
180 Posts

After the first problem ... I visually checked wiring from battery to most connectors and also checked grounds and did not find anything out of the ordinary.

4 days ago as I left for a 25 mile trip, I got the Low Battery Light, CEL and loss of power with the Reduced Performance Warning. Cleared the 15 codes and did a 12 volt reset to finish my drive normally . I could not clear the Parking Brake Light & Brake System warning Light. These only cleared with an extended stop.

Today ... Stopped for gas and went to start BUT Low Battery Light was ON, CEL on, Parking Brake Light on and READY light flashing. Did normal 12 volt reset, Cleared the dozen codes and was on my way.

Thank You
These are really strange symptoms, I would ask help from a dedicated Fisker service center.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are really strange symptoms, I would ask help from a dedicated Fisker service center.
Thank you and agree these are strange and just disappear after a hard reset thus making it very hard to troubleshoot without a total failure. I was hoping the detailed description would generation something to investigate further from anyone that may have seen this LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE issue. Normally voltage drops occur with a "Short to Ground" or "High Current Draw". Not sure the algorithm that triggers the light or how the Fisker maintains voltage as I normally see 13.7 Volts all the time EXCEPT after this failure where I saw 12.4 volts as the car recovered from a hard reset.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts

Thank You
Who installed your coupler . You need to watch your battery mileage to zero gauge and see if reduces mileage to zero at slow and steady rate. When it gets down around 10 miles does the mileage drop down to zero fairly fast

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who installed your coupler . You need to watch your battery mileage to zero gauge and see if reduces mileage to zero at slow and steady rate. When it gets down around 10 miles does the mileage drop down to zero fairly fast
Thanks Adam for the response
Alex at Elite did the Coupler RxR due to the P030X codes guess the loose springs on coupler setting off CEL. Coupler visual looked OK but the center smaller springs were all loose. So left Alex's shop about a thousand miles ago performing the drive cycles needed for California Smog Test and elimination of the Permanent codes with no more P030X codes/CEL. Coupler change added a third Pcode U0073 to get rid of ....
So during my 43 drive loops to try and erase the three Permanent Codes ( U0073,U019B,P1B63 ) I have see the Low Battery Failure Twice and Lost Com with Brake system Module once. 12 volt hard reset for Low battery & normal OBD2 scanner reset for Lost Brake Module com. Car runs well other wise ....
Back to your question on EV Range / Battery Drop. My last 3 EV drives are attached showing a fairly linear drop to ZERO from 50 and 10 EV Meter readings. Car has 68K miles and I have installed a new 12 volt battery before coupler change.
Have not seen the LOW battery in the last 250 miles / 14 drive cycles. Just a huge nuisance right now and I just wanted to understand before I get stranded by maybe a fix others have seen.

Appreciate your insight/experience.

Joe

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts